Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Multiple instances  (Read 5900 times)

tbailey2

• Kitizen
Re: Multiple instances
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2016, 08:52:47 PM »

Whatever Dray was implying - see below, he was clearly on about MDWS, I thought it was odd as surely the username would identify which line was which.
Correct, MDWS has no interest per se in the IP address although I don't know what the OS and Apache etc would make of file uploads via this method.
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2016, 09:24:43 PM »

Well, the IP address detection is built into dslstats and it passes it on to MDWS because I get alerts from MDWS that I'm uploading from multiple IP addresses.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2016, 09:28:02 PM »

When using the 2 lines with load balancing can you not set each modem its own lan ip, so each instance of DslStats had its own mdws username, its own modem to connect to, and that way both would have their own separate wan ip. mdws shouldn't even be able to tell it's 2 lines from the same property.

edit: just noticed the flaw in that theory. The machine uploading would indeed alternate between the 2 ip's
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 09:31:22 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2016, 09:40:04 PM »

Well, the IP address detection is built into dslstats and it passes it on to MDWS because I get alerts from MDWS that I'm uploading from multiple IP addresses.

Well I didn't write that facility in and no one else has written any of the code...

Nor does MDWS get any info on IP addresses from DSLStats that I'm aware of, nor does it need to.

You may well get notifications of duplicate uploads but that has no association with any IP address.

At the moment, all you are doing is confusing everyone...
Tony
My Books!

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2016, 09:42:30 PM »

Oh ok, sorry.

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2016, 10:01:46 PM »

That's ok. And, I just realised that as you are already uploading, the rapidly changing IP addresses obviously don't worry the system at all  :)
Tony
My Books!

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2016, 10:57:08 PM »

I can confirm that DSLstats doesn't pass on the IP address to MDWS. The information is noted in the event log just for the user's own information.
  Eric

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2016, 08:28:18 AM »

You may well get notifications of duplicate uploads but that has no association with any IP address.

At the moment, all you are doing is confusing everyone...
Thanks, that clears up my thinking. Looking into this a bit deeper, I get the duplicate uploads warning when my W7 VM is receiving big updates from Microsoft and it runs out of resources. The only problem with my rapidly changing WAN IP address is that the ISP displayed by MDWS also changes rapidly :)

I plan to fix all this by setting up another VM and having 1 per modem.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything