Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: HG612 - Problem Updating Firmware [New H-Wolf version]  (Read 13270 times)

cliver

• Reg Member
Re: HG612 - Problem Updating Firmware [New H-Wolf version]
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2016, 05:58:39 PM »

Have you tried another ethernet cable?

And also can you confirm it's in LAN2 on the modem to the ethernet port on the PC?
Tried 3 cables but think they are fine as the upload firmware interface works well.
Yes on LAN2 but have tried LAN1 just in case.

Thanks all for the input here by the way, it is much appreciated :)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2016, 08:34:38 PM »

>>> I deleted the TR-069 wan interface

Don't know enough about it, but doesn't that mess with DHCP?
Have you tried going back to default config.  According to Asbo, you'd need to take it online though.

The Default Configuration can always be restored with a 'Long Reset':

Reboot the HG612 and allow it to stabilise.
    Check with your PC that the xDSL line has synced, and that you have
    internet connectivity
    Hold in the Reset Button on the HG612 for 10+ seconds, and then
    release it. This causes a 'Long Reset'.
    The modem will replace its current configuration settings with the
    Default Configuration.
    Give the modem time to reboot again after the 'Long Reset'.
    Connect your PC to the LAN2 socket on the Huawei.
    Visit http://192.168.1.1 (the default web address of the Huawei)
    The configuration options will now be at their default settings

I know you said you didnt want to put it online, but it may be worth a shot if all else has failed.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

cliver

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2016, 08:57:39 PM »

>>> I deleted the TR-069 wan interface

Don't know enough about it, but doesn't that mess with DHCP?
Have you tried going back to default config.  According to Asbo, you'd need to take it online though.

I know you said you didnt want to put it online, but it may be worth a shot if all else has failed.
Think your right kitz, think I've messed up 😌
Also think your right that it needs to connect to the net to factory reset. I'll give that a go when I can.
That'll teach me to jump in and meddle 😏

cliver

• Reg Member
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2016, 08:53:11 AM »

I have it online now with full internet connection tested and working working.
Tried pressing the test button for 10 seconds but doesn't seem to do anything.
I have power light on steady green, DSL light on steady green, and LAN1 on flashing green. Router connected to LAN1 and PC connected to it which is connected to the internet.
Pressing the reset button changes nothing on there lights and I don't lose internet connectivity so the modem is obviously not rebooting re booting.
I assume i should get some lamp indication when I press the reset button for 10 seconds?

cliver

• Reg Member
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2016, 08:58:24 AM »

Belay that. Think my reset button is a bit iffy. Just tried again and the DSL light went out. Seems to have done something now so will report back.

cliver

• Reg Member
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2016, 09:03:35 AM »

Yes that's fine it. I now have the web GUI up and running.
Thanks everyone for all the help. I'll tread carefully now when setting it up.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2016, 10:41:10 AM »

YAY :)   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

cliver

• Reg Member
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2016, 01:19:11 PM »

OK, so now I am back to the beginning again and am looking at the web GUI thanks to all the help.
Before I screw it up again I would appreciate any guidance on the following. Both to help me set it up correctly and to aid my learning process  ;)

I currently have a Zyxel 8924 set up as router only with an Asus RT-AC68u router behind it doing all the routing work.
Router: IP: 10.x.x.1 subnet 255.255.255.1
Modem IP: 10.x.y.1 subnet 255.255.255.1
I also have an HG 635 TalkTalk Super router set up as modem only the same as the Zyxel is.
I have a couple of start-up scripts on the Router which gives me LAN access to the modem IP from my LAN so I can log onto the modem from any LAN client.
So, I am looking to set up my HG612 to do the same and have the following questions on how I achieve this.
I have already set the modem IP address and subnet to match the existing modems. This will enable the scripts to give my LAN access to it.
I’m not sure about the following setup items:
  • Basic > WAN: What is the point of ptm1.301? It’s not enabled as far as I can see (WAN Connection not enabled). Can I delete this connection without causing any issues? I certainly don’t want TR-069 active.
  • Advanced > Firewall: This is currently set to “Standard”. As my router is doing all the firewall work for my LAN should/can this be set to “Disable”? If not what is it doing?
  • Advanced > NAT: Under ALG tab it is set to enable H.233 ALG, RTSP ALG and PPTP ALG. Again NAT is being handled by my router, should these be off?
  • Advanced > QoS: This is enabled, should it be disabled? Again, any Qos is handled by the router.
  • Advanced > SNTP: Should this be on to set and keep the network clocks synchronised?
Sorry for all the questions but, as you know, I managed to screw it up once and am hoping to avoid doing so again  :-[. So any advice is most welcome.

My plan is to probably ditch the HG 635 as, even though it seems to perform well I can’t seem to get full stats from it. I will keep the Zyxel and HG612 and use which ever gives me the best (speed and stability) on my line for any given ISP.

So my requirements in terms of configuration are to get the best Modem only performance from the HG612 and to enable access from my LAN as described above which is how I have operated for the past couple of years.

Any guidance greatly appreciated as I am trying to understand the settings available on each of these devices.

Regards
Clive

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2016, 01:36:52 PM »

If you disable QOS your upload will improve by 1 Mbps

cliver

• Reg Member
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2016, 03:18:40 PM »

Thanks Dray, every Mbps counts 😀

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2016, 03:43:07 PM »

Remember before you ditch the HG635 that its all very well seeing stats but you can't exactly do much with them.

cliver

• Reg Member
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2016, 03:55:25 PM »

Probably won't ditch it but put it in the cupboard. To be honest the Zyxel looks to be the better performer as the hg612 didn't sync as high when I put it online this morning. Not very scientific but initial impressions.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2016, 04:04:49 PM »

I’m not sure about the following setup items:
  • Basic > WAN: What is the point of ptm1.301? It’s not enabled as far as I can see (WAN Connection not enabled). Can I delete this connection without causing any issues? I certainly don’t want TR-069 active.
  • Advanced > Firewall: This is currently set to “Standard”. As my router is doing all the firewall work for my LAN should/can this be set to “Disable”? If not what is it doing?
  • Advanced > NAT: Under ALG tab it is set to enable H.233 ALG, RTSP ALG and PPTP ALG. Again NAT is being handled by my router, should these be off?
  • Advanced > QoS: This is enabled, should it be disabled? Again, any Qos is handled by the router.
  • Advanced > SNTP: Should this be on to set and keep the network clocks synchronised?
1. It's the connection path used by BT for their TR069 management, but as it's disabled it won't do anything. No real point in deleting it.
2. If you disable the firewall then the modem is open for configuration from the WAN, so at least change the password.
3. As the HG is configured as a bridge these probably have no effect
4. QOS already answered, shouldn't affect anything in bridge mode but upload increases by 1 Mbps when it's disabled.
5. I couldn't get that or couldn't be bothered to get that working. Only affects the log entries I think.

cliver

• Reg Member
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2016, 04:16:14 PM »

Cheers Dray, much as I was expecting I think. Just wanted expert classification.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2016, 04:27:51 PM »

expert? not exactly, just things i've done, or think i've done ;)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5