Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Double your internet speed..  (Read 8175 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Double your internet speed..
« on: September 20, 2016, 06:17:48 PM »

I was watching this video from LinusTechTips, he's a big and well respected youtuber, sponsored by all the top names in the industry talking about doubling his internet speed.

I'm still abit slow on this stuff. Can the techy types on the board have a watch and let me know if this can work over in the UK (he's in the US)?

Double or Triple Your Internet Speed - This Method Actually Works!

Do you want some of the creature comforts of a business internet line, but don't want to pay the ridiculous price most cable companies offer? There may be another way...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqbnjgbtDl0[/youtube]
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Double your internet speed..
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 06:21:22 PM »

Yes it will, he's on about line bonding, there are plenty of threads on here about it, just search bonding.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 06:29:38 PM »

I just finished watching it.. (i'd got distracted by the teleportation thread lol).

So really it looks like we need a special bonding box. Is it necessary for the ISP to do anything or is it all done in the bonding box? He mentioned about it going back to a box somewhere else. I wasn't sure if he meant at the isp.

I can see how it works because I have a program called Internet Download Manager, and that allows multiple connections when I try to download a file, so it goes a lot faster than if I was downloading using 1 connection through the browser.

If ISP's do have to do something at their end then they could also do a '2 for 1' deal on either adsl or vdsl lines. So the people wanting high speed could do that.

I'll have to look in to this some more! :)

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 06:34:26 PM »

You need a bonding box each end

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 06:35:13 PM »

If ISP's do have to do something at their end then they could also do a '2 for 1' deal on either adsl or vdsl lines. So the people wanting high speed could do that.

Well, yes, the ISP could give you a second line for free, but I don't think that expectation is realistic.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 06:43:13 PM »

Not my forte whatsoever ...... but isn't Weaver our resident guru on this subject ?? I'm sure he has 2/3 lines channel bonded ?? May be wrong though.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 07:06:16 PM »

Now I'm on my PC I can explain a little better with my limited knowledge.

There are two ways to do this, true line bonding requires an ISP that supports it, such as A&A which  Weaver uses (he has 3 lines bonded), and suitable hardware your end. The connection is seen as one connection with one IP address, every will go faster (well until something else somewhere causes a bottle neck) .

Load balancing is the other way and doesn't require an ISP that supports it, in fact you can use different ISP's, and you'll need a load balancing router. This way you will have more than one IP address, one for each line/broadband connection, and this fact could cause problems (some websites don't like to see you're IP address keep changing every few seconds), and single threaded use will still only use one connection so no speed increase, but multi threaded downloads will go faster because they can use all connections.

The downside is you'll need to pay multiple line rentals and broadband connections, plus the hardware, and increased ISP costs for true line bonding.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 07:36:05 PM »

As the previous posters said, I have three lines bonded. I get triple speed in both directions, and I don't have to have multiple downloads, multiple users, multiple TCP connections or anything like that to exploit the multiple speedup. The ISP, Andrews and Arnold does the required dowload magic, and my router handles the upload bandwidth splittting. The lines can be at unequal speeds, indeed one line is about 20% faster upstream than the other two, for some reason. If one line goes down, the system just shifts to rebalance the total load quickly.

I have one IPv4 address and one IPv6 address for the WAN-facing side of the router, and on the lan-facing side, the router presents a single IPv4 and IPv6 address, just as you'd expect. There are not three IPs, one per line, and machines on the internet do not see stuff coming from three lines, so there's no weirdness. It's set up so that a block of sufficient global, routable, static ipv4s are mapped to my lan, and the same for IPv6 (an IPv6 /64 is mapped to the lan).

Costs for copper lines are £12 per month per line for ADSL2, plus line rental, which works out at roughly £20 iirc (VAT ? Can't remember), and the tariff I have chosen is to pay for traffic downloaded by the GB independently which is nothing to do with how many lines there are. I actually pay more than that because I have chosen some extras, including BTW "Premium" traffic prioritisation and faster upload. FTTx would be more per line than ADSL.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 07:54:08 PM »

See
    http://aa.net.uk/kb-broadband-bonding.html

I note that AA can offer bonding of multiple VPN links too which would allow you to use a mixture of different ISPs for access.

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2016, 04:31:56 AM »

If anyone is interested in load - balancing then FYI this is what I do,  I have two connections,  with  two ISP's going through one router.

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=18120.0

Other than the router and two phone lines it doesn't require any special setup and you just have "normal" Internet providers. I have Plus net VDSL and Zen ADSL currently. It's not as seamless as a  bonded solution,  is my guess,  but hasn't caused us any issues yet ☺️

C
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 04:59:55 AM by Chunkers »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2016, 11:08:10 AM »

I dont understand the point of this unless you weaver who has slow adsl.

Whats the point of bonding cable/vdsl connections?

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2016, 11:20:30 AM »

I dont understand the point of this unless you weaver who has slow adsl.

Whats the point of bonding cable/vdsl connections?

From what the video says it can double your speeds. So 2 vdsl connections would double the speed.

On the load balancing thing. It would be interesting if there was software that allowed other programs to use multiple download connections. I'm not sure how it would though. I guess it would have to create 2 instances of a program and then combine the download to one location.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2016, 03:03:16 PM »

yes but how is 160mbit different to 80? both will stream netflix etc. fine.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2016, 03:43:06 PM »

It's only worth doing if you need the extra bandwidth/speed, we all know weavers situation and I'm sure if you read Chunkers thread you'll see that his single connection is also poor, but not as bad as weavers, but he does have children, so also needed the boost in speed/capacity.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2016, 04:40:10 PM »

You might have two lines for redundancy/reliability reasons, rather than for capacity/speed. But you might bond them anyway, just because you could.
Pages: [1] 2