Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: New Technology near you soon  (Read 2044 times)

stevebrass

• Reg Member
New Technology near you soon
« on: September 20, 2016, 05:09:57 PM »

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-37408013

If you thought things were complicated at the moment.

Imagine discussing your photon entanglement with a help line.  :P
Netgear Orbi; BT FTTP with Smart Hub 2

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: New Technology near you soon
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 05:41:18 PM »

This sounds to me like the Aspect Experiment done around 1979-1980, which was to test if the Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen thought experiment (first discussed in the 1920s iirc) was really possible. The EPR experiment is really spooky as it could be considered to involve faster-than-light signalling, and to put it cautiously its considered by some to be "in tension" with Special Relativity. A safer way of looking at it is that it involves making a pair of particles be in a special spatially spread-out, blurred state. The properties of the pair of particles are set up so that the value of some property of the one particle is always linked to a particular value of the corresponding  property of the other particle in the pair. This latter aspect is one kind of example of what's called “quantum entanglement". My memory is failing me, I used to know this stuff once.

It has proved difficult to exploit this for comms, and I haven't read the paper in question, but maybe someone has made some practical progress. One special property of these systems that has been known about for a long time is that an EPR quantum entanglement link is tamper-proof in the sense that an eavesdropper will always destroy the link, so eavesdropping cannot go unnoticed. I don't see any chance of faster-than-light useful comms though.

phi2008

• Reg Member
Re: New Technology near you soon
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 03:33:05 PM »

Just to be clear, this does not herald faster than light communication, entanglement was used to decrypt but actual information was sent by photons -

Both experiments encode a message into a photon and send it to a way station of sorts. There, the message is transferred to a different photon, which is entangled with a photon held by the receiver. This destroys the information held in the first photon, but transmits the information via entanglement to the receiver. When the way station measures the photon, it creates kind of key — a decoder ring of sorts — that can decrypt the entangled photon’s information. That key is then sent over an internet connection, where it is combined with the information contained within the entangled photon to reveal the message

I'm not a physicist but I do read reddit ...  ;)

anything