Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Web Hosting Sites Recommendations.  (Read 18560 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Web Hosting Sites Recommendations.
« on: September 20, 2016, 02:26:05 PM »

Web Hosting Recommendations.

Can we have a updated place to add any web hosting site you have used and what you think of them and a price guide please.

Also add a link please.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 12:13:32 AM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Web Hosting Sites Recommendations.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 05:20:12 PM »

I can thoroughly recommend these guys, UKServers Ltd, £20 per annum
    http://www.virtualnames.co.uk/web_hosting.php

Very friendly, human support, reliable *nix servers. I have also used them for my own and my customers' email for many years.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 05:51:10 PM »

I have been using Ariotek for some years now and not had any issues with them, they also hold my domains for me so its all in one place. Not necessarily the cheapest but not that pricey, my renewal is due in a couple of months but if memory serves it was just under £40 for the year with 2GB data and 20GB bandwidth/month and they host my emails as well so I dont need to use the TT servers. All in all a very reliable UK company.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

petef

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 01:57:58 PM »

I use the free OpenShift service, operated and supported by Red Hat. They do not require ads or popups. My framework is Flask.

https://www.openshift.com/

--
Pete Forman
https://payg-petef.rhcloud.com/

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 10:45:32 AM »

Its no secret I use Vidahost.  Used them now for many years and have gone through several package upgrades with them.  My current plan is bespoke to requirements so price and plan not listed.. but I doubt you would need the same requirements as me anyhow.

Packages start at £2.99 per month for 2GB of storage 25GB of bandwidth.

UK hosting is always dearer than foreign hosting, but if you are in the UK and have a co.uk based domain and your audience is in the UK.. then you should use UK hosting.

--
PS
There's one of the reg guys on here who owns his own hosting company who also sometimes offers good deals.   Because he is a reg contributor in the DSL sections and doesnt go around spamming the fact he does hosting..  I dont mind if he speaks up.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 02:00:01 PM »

Hi kitz

I hope I'm correct and you mean myself, if not, please disregard this post

I own and run a hosting company, for many years 

We use interworx control panel for the shared platforms (clustered) and I am a moderator on the interworx forums

I would offer anyone who uses this forum a monthly charge of £1.00 plus vat for 2gb space, 20gb mostly bandwidth, for hosting, email (50 email accounts, unlimited email aliases) and 1 MySQL database.

We can even register a domain or you can transfer your domain to us, if you prefer to have everything under 1 place

You will have your own account, which links directly to the Iw-cp etc

The offer is subject to no mass mail, no spam sending etc, and is clearly shown in our terms and conditions, which you must accept to be allowed to use our platforms

If anyone is interested, please let me know and I'll send you the link to our billing platform, which creates everything up

Oh, and you can have a free SSL as long as the domain is hosted on our platforms, and the A records point to our platforms. However, if you leave, you cannot keep the SSL and our platforms are backup daily using R1soft/idera enterprise

I hope you don't mind me posting though, as I said and please feel free to remove my post

Many thanks

John

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 02:52:03 PM »

Yes it was you I was thinking of d2d4j, I didn't want to name you earlier because I want sure of your current offers, but I do recall you offering decent prices in the past.  I don't mind you posting the details because I know you contribute on DSL and you arent here to advertise your company.   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

npr

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 03:54:09 PM »

The are the people I've used to host my web site for the past 3 years.
For only £14.95 per year I've found them to be surprisingly good, had no problems whatsoever, coped with up to 20,000 page views per month with no slowdowns. :)

http://www.falcoda.co.uk/cheap_web_hosting/index.php

Don't know what their email server is like, never needed to use it.

matt9

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 04:23:06 PM »

I tend to change up my web hosting service quite frequently, for no apparent reason, but am now looking into some shared hosting offers - for gaming of course!  ;D
Has anyone got any suggestions?

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 04:21:59 AM »

Until recently Zen were hosting my blog and my website (which has now been taken down because I am lazy) their service is very well run and if you are a Zen customer might make sense although they are relatively expensive, I used their Bronze package for 4.79/month.

@matt9 : During the last few summers I usually pay for a Minecraft server for my kids to run, I do all the geeky stuff but they admin it, etc.  I have had very good experiences with Nitrous Networks - they have servers on both sides of the Atlantic, decent responsive Tech Support, no bandwidth issues I have ever encountered you can sometimes find discount codes.  They also give you a free Mumble server to go with your gaming server.  Their remote management console and backup system works well - I paid for the basic server but usually end up heavily modifying the configuration and even uploaded my own custom server config and they didn't seem to mind at all.  2016 was the third year I have used them, and will do again.

Chunks

matt9

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2017, 04:44:53 PM »

Hey Chunks, thanks very much for the informative reply.

Sounds like you've got it sorted. Will definitely look into Zen, thank you. I am, however, a bit of a while away from uploading my own custom server config, but some day soon hopefully!

I was also toying with the idea of a cloud server, and there's lots online about it (https://www.1and1.com/digitalguide/hosting/technical-matters/why-you-should-switch-to-cloud-hosting/), but I still feel like shared hosting is the way to go, especially as a bit of a gamer.

Thanks guys!  :)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2018, 08:22:11 PM »

I've taken d2d4j up on his very kind hosting offer, currently only using it for my families email accounts. I've always had my own domain name, and just redirected to my ISP email accounts, but with a potential ISP move coming up soon I thought it was time to do it properly.

It wasn't very complicated and John was very helpful, the control panel is very nice and simple to use (if I ignore the stuff I don't need to know about) and the webmail is great, there's actually the choice of three different webmail clients and I can very easily access my favourite by appending it's name to the end of my domain name such as https://mydomain.co.uk/roundcube/

Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2018, 09:35:34 PM »

@Ronski

PM sent

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2018, 07:14:59 PM »

Hi Ronski

Many thanks for your kind words and I hope you enjoy it

Welcome westie and I hope you enjoy it

You can contact me directly or open a support ticket if you have any issues

Many thanks

John

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2018, 04:42:44 PM »

@ d2d4j I took up hosting offer and just to say a big thankyou for helping me transfer my domain and email to your servers.
My last provider turned off my mail account with no notification ??? but I was quickly up and running again :)

Robin

« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 04:54:54 PM by parkdale »
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590
Pages: [1] 2

anything