Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: 24% Drop in Sync Speed, Can Anyone Advise?  (Read 12152 times)

whatkatedoes

Re: 24% Drop in Sync Speed, Can Anyone Advise?
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2016, 09:49:39 AM »

Engineer update: lovely guy... but completely oblivious to the issue of crosstalk.  Decided to be open with him and mention up down nature of neighbours router.  He thinks this would not be an issue.

Am not feeling all that confident, lol

When he gets back from cabinet excursion ill see if i can get the neighbour to switch their router off...

whatkatedoes

« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2016, 01:56:27 PM »

So he was here for about 3 hours.  Changed some stuff outside, fitted an nte5? Face plate.   Speeds are now holding at 55 even when neighbour connects...but i can see is struggling .. so i might throttle to 52 or something.

Max attainable when neighbour off has risen to 60.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2016, 01:34:33 AM »

It's holding at a speed of 55Mbps, but with an SNRM that has dropped to 1.4dB. On MDWS, you can see the consequences on the FEC rate, and the retransmission rate (both very noticeable). It has now started to register on the ES rate.

Since 01:10, there has been a sharp increase in both FEC rate and retransmission rate, I'd be getting worried about a marked increase in ES's soon.

Definitely worth dropping speed somewhat.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2016, 08:32:58 AM »

It may be worth getting your neighbour to try a brand new router, if they have an old one causing interference.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2016, 08:47:14 AM »

Would my neighbour getting switched from TalkTalk ADSL to BT infinity in the last couple of weeks be a factor in this?

How old could it be? I assume they were sent a new BT Hub when they switched.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2016, 08:51:54 AM »

It's not unheard of for BT Hubs to be faulty

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2016, 10:07:32 AM »

@whatkatedoes
I think you've set the speed limit to 53Mbps now. Probably a good choice - it gives the line a little more room for resilience.

Although there was a lot of errors on the line last night, the FEC and retransmission processes handled them really well, so the ES rate stayed well under control. It looks like you've got things under control as far as this neighbour is concerned.

Don't forget that other disturbers could be added at any time, so this is a thing to keep an eye on in future.

whatkatedoes

« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2016, 06:32:35 PM »

Yeah i decided this morning to try 53 to see how it held.  We're not at home this weekend so its all being observed/tweaked remotely!

whatkatedoes

« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2016, 06:55:45 AM »

Throttled back to 52 after a drop on Monday, we'll see how that goes.

whatkatedoes

« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2016, 09:27:17 AM »

Just to say a big THANK YOU to all in this thread - have managed to stabilize sync @ 52500/7.7 due the advice given here - up from the drop to 42/6 :)

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2016, 07:55:47 PM »

You're very welcome
If you run DslStats constantly it can be set to automatically send the maxdatarate command when it detects no DSL connection. This can be handy for occasions where the modem may reboot itself, preventing it syncing at the full rate which is causing problems.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

whatkatedoes

« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2017, 04:33:58 PM »

So, this is a bit of a post-necro'ing, but I thought it might be interesting for some.

Recap:  My FTTC was rated @ 35-57 down 4-7 up in the line checker back when I first got it installed.  Using the BT "free" upgrade my infinity1 sat nicely at 55/7 typically.  But then, my neighbour got connected.. and that caused my connection to resync to 43-45.  They switched their router off at night, which allowed my router if rebooted to sync back at 55, until next they switched on.  Through advice in this thread, I was able to throttle sync to a stable 52 succesfully for quite some time.  Eventually though, I got re-banded to I'd guess 50, as sync would lock at 49997 or some such, and that was that.

2 months ago, fleeing another price hike, I switched to plusnet unlimited/uncapped.  DLM released me, and I initially connected at 57, but neighbours soon put a stop to that, and I'd get dropped to 45, I tried to catch them during off periods and reinstate the throttling of before.. but it just would not work for some reason.  Alarmingly, when I checked the line speed estimator, it now showed my line capable of 40mbit at best.

Then something odd happened after a few days, I resynced at 50.. and neighbours rebooting router no longer affected me.  Long story short..  Vectoring got enabled.

A week later, and here's where we're at:

Dn Sync: 67, max attainable: 72.

Sync has been rising throughout the week, I thought I was doing good at 57, then it was 62, 65, and now 67, every few days a resync higher.  I just wish my upstream was better :(

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2017, 08:31:29 PM »

What a difference G.INP & XdB with Vectoring does to ones BDUK line  :)

Deathstar

• Reg Member
« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2017, 08:11:09 AM »

@Kitz, how can you find out if you are on a BDUK line?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

VMG1312-B10A Bridge Mode to ASUS DSLAC68U

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2017, 02:12:56 PM »

Use the instructions for Cabinet Lookup info

It should tell you on the results for your cab on there eg
Phase BDUK Lancs 12b

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5