Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Help Required in Choosing a Combined VDSL2 Modem Router  (Read 2906 times)

Eagle2508

• Just arrived
Help Required in Choosing a Combined VDSL2 Modem Router
« on: September 16, 2016, 09:20:33 PM »

Please could someone help me as I'm completely confused and no idea what to do...

I'm currently using Plusnet Fibre and their Hub One, it's plugged directly in to a prefiltered BT wall socket.

I would like to buy a better, more reliable, faster router but even after reading a lot of info I'm still confused on what to get....

What would people recommend with a max budget if £140?

Huge thanks in advance if anyone can help me

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Help Required in Choosing a Combined VDSL2 Modem Router
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 03:51:10 PM »

Welcome to the Kitz forum.  :)

I've split this post off to create a thread in its own right as per Kitz' request --

Quote from: kitz
This thread is purely for information on combined VDSL modem routers.
Please dont use it to ask which router to buy - start a new thread :)

I'll start by suggesting that you consider the ZyXEL VMG8924 . . .
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 05:22:41 PM »

I also have that ZyXEL router used as a combined modem router (ie single box), my experience has been good with it.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 05:43:59 PM »

The only Zyxel caution that I would make is that some users (e.g. me) with error prone lines have found it to increase errors.  My impression is that the Zyxel does not like the sort of noise events that can cause SES. This really only matters if error rates are large enough to be close to the DLM intervention levels. 

Oldjim

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 10:57:35 AM »

Can you clarify what you mean by a faster router as changing router may not make much difference to the sync speed.
Do you mean better wifi and if so do you need dual band and/or AC
Jim
Plusnet

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 05:09:38 AM »

If you had a higher budget i would highly recommend the TP Link VR2600 or Netgear D7800, however for 115 notes the TP Link VR900 is excellent value for money. Whilst its not a 4 stream Mu-Mimo router (like the first 2) its one of the best 3 stream routers out there with excellent wifi coverage/speeds and it uses a Broadcom xDSL chipset.

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 06:18:56 AM »

Can you clarify what you mean by a faster router as changing router may not make much difference to the sync speed.
Do you mean better wifi and if so do you need dual band and/or AC

+1

Would be great to know what problems you are having / where you want to see the improvement?  As Oldjim says, you may not see much improvement to connection speed by changing your router.

C

jukanmanya

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2016, 08:21:29 PM »

I was thinking you would be served well by something along the lines of a DGND3700v1 with the aftermarket firmware from http://www.richud.com/wiki/DGND3700_V1_Transmission_Firmware. That's what I am using at the moment and it's just excellent.

http://www.richud.com/wiki/DGND3700_V1_Transmission_Firmware#VDSL2_.28FTTC.29 so it supports VDSL2 FTTC fibre from all UK providers including BT Infinity so you should be good to go. In terms of wireless speeds it has simultaneous dual band (300mbps on each band) so that should be plenty fast.

The hardware is also quite strong: 5 gigabit ports, 2 USB ports, dual core Broadcom CPU and chipset etc. 

More interesting is the firmware which provides some crazy functionality :cool: like torrenting facilities (you can configure the router from a web interface to make it download torrents by itself to the USB drive then those torrents and other files can be accessed from any other PC), ad blocking, OpenVPN functionality, SSH and other services, PXE booting from the inserted USB drive (so you could boot up Windows, Linux distros, MemTest from any network connected PC) as well as having a ton of options for xDSL line control and extensive line parameters adjustments (for example, you can adjust the target SNR margin in 10% increments as well as other parameters easily).

Found a good listing on fleabay for a DGND3700v1 which has already been flashed with the latest version of this firmware here (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182292777747) so you don't risk bricking it by converting it from stock to modified firmware yourself.

Let me know if you need more info about this setup, since I have it and I am very, very happy with the performance.