Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Pointless gadgets, Bluetooth toothbrush  (Read 1851 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Pointless gadgets, Bluetooth toothbrush
« on: September 14, 2016, 07:59:04 PM »

I've been a sucker for electric toothbrushes for some while now, esp the Braun Oral-B series.   No evidence that they do any good as my teeth and gums are not that great, I just like them, even though the marketing blurb makes me cringe.

But a Costco brochure has just arrived and one of the offers is a fancy Oral-B toothbrush with Bluetooth technology.   What on earth useful purpose could that serve?

I've a quick look at the website, that babbles on about 'real time brushing guidance that can be adjusted by your dental professional'.    Pull the other one, as the saying goes, it has bells on. :lol:

Then again, I suspect it proves we have now most certainly passed the milestone, whereby the computing power of a toothbrush far surpasses that of the Apollo landing crafts that landed on the moon.   If anybody ever wants to land  a toothbrush on the moon, it should be quite straightforward then?.  ::)

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Pointless gadgets, Bluetooth toothbrush
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 08:10:17 PM »

I have the Oral-B Pro 6000 . I paid around £50 for it on Amazon over christmas. The bluetooth links to the seperate portable timer, and to an app on my phone. It's extremely handy for me as with 1 click i can sync my phone to the toothbrush and see how my 9 year old is brushing his teeth without having to stand over him every morning/night. It gives pretty good readings of what area of the mouth has been brushed, and how much pressure he was applying. Interchangeable coloured heads means 3 of us make use of the brush, as there's no way I would have paid that much for 1 person to use.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 08:40:35 PM »

Then I stand corrected, it is useful after all, to others if not to me.    :)

I don't have much of an issue with the cost of the Oral-B as they're nice gadgets and seem to last forever.   My first one stopped working after about a year and, iirc, the documentation in these days stated a year to be the life expectancy of the battery, hence I nearly junked it.   Turned out though, when I dismantled it, it was a manufacturing defect... the very fine wire to the battery had got caught in a threaded assembly and broke.   Repairing that wire extended the life to about 3-4 years, until I was smitten by the claims for the next version.   :graduate:

I've had about three or four over the past 10-15 years or so, usually replacing when some new 'feature' comes along.   But I seriously doubt if I (or my dentist) could actually tell the the difference, if I went back to using an older one.    ::)

I'll not be rushing out to buy the Bluetooth version, but then I don't have to manage a 9 year old.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 06:16:30 AM »

No evidence that they do any good as my teeth and gums are not that great,

If you don't brush your teeth correctly or for long enough then it doesn't matter how much the toothbrush cost. My wife used to be a dental nurse,  and iirc you are supposed to brush for 2 minutes and use the correct pressure (needless to say I was always getting told off),  I expect that this is what the Bluetooth toothbrush aims to improve - duration and brushing technique.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

anything