Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Massive Storm  (Read 10735 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Massive Storm
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2016, 03:02:24 PM »

In all the Exchanges I've been in ...... and that's a few hundred ..... I've never seen the Genny-set located on the roof.

The exhaust flue may be routed as such that it appears on the roof, or the plume of smoke has just risen up from somewhere near ground level (or basement if the Exchange is large enough) where most Genny's are located ?? No way of knowing from that poor footage I fear ??.

As an aside, the largest genny's I ever saw were in Preston (Moor Lane) these were two mega-watt babies and the control panel to synch phase when switching from 'Mains' power to 'Genny back-up' power was like something out of Star-Trek, beautiful to see it in action ...... but noisy isn't the word !!!

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2016, 05:45:10 PM »

It never occurred to me the generator might be on the roof, but I suppose it makes sense.

But if it failed to start for some reason,  I'd not be too keen on going up there to try and fix it during a lightning storm, no matter what kind of protection was provided. :-[

It is probably quite well protected and could even be on the top floor with an exhaust through the roof  ;)

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2016, 07:08:11 PM »

ref my own phones... Still dead, 4 days on from our share of the storms.  This is fate getting its own back on me as in an unrelated recent thread, I was singing the praises of landline reliability vs mobile. :D

But I'm not so sure the floods at the exchange were the problem after all.  I just drove along the road, past the cabinet.   Had to wait for the contraflow traffic lights they've set up, to protect some busy engineers, several OR vans parked up.  I'm guessing, only guessing, that scene might be highly relevant to our dead phones.    ::)

And actually, spare a thought for these guys too, let alone working on a rooftop.   Just a head and shoulders protruding above the road surface, of a busy 'A' road at near dusk.  Even with the traffic lights to control the traffic, I'd find that scary.   :o

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2016, 08:43:40 PM »

Thank you for mentioning the safety aspect, 7LM. I kid you not, only today my closest work buddy nearly got wiped out by some old dear (He estimated to be in her 80's) who turned the corner off a main road too fast, proceeded to mount the pavement and if my mate hadn't jumped out of the way of the Cab he was working in, he would have had very serious injuries or quite possibly dead.

I didn't witness the event but a few folk going about their business did. My mate was in the midst of installing a line to a premises and after returning to the EU's premises he struggled like mad to krone terminate the pair to the NTE, he said his hands were shaking that much !!!

The old dear was shook up as well, and it was put down to a near-miss accident by my mate. Alas, in our kind of work there is no full-proof protection when working kerb-side.  :no:

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2016, 10:23:55 PM »

In the village tonight, the guy wasn't even on the kerb.  He was in the middle of the traffic lane, buried in a pit up to his armpits.   

This time they had full traffic control with temporary lights, presumably as the job was not expected to be quick.      But I've also seen them do similar further down the same road at bottom of my garden, in a different pit, for quick jobs, with just traffic cones, a parked van, and a colleague to stand in front of the cars to stop them.  It's a 30 limit all the way along, which probably means safety controls are more relaxed because, of course, everybody observes 30 limits.   If only. ::)

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2016, 12:03:47 AM »

Alas, in our kind of work there is no full-proof protection when working kerb-side.  :no:

There's a PCP outside our living room window, right by the edge of a roundabout, with the doors opening on the pavement side. There's even some railings to keep cars on the side that cars belong. Nice and safe?

Unfortunately lots of cars and vans use that pavement as a cut-through to drive away from some shops. At some point, something managed to hit, and dislodge, the solid (big) stone blocks in our garden wall ... the pavement most certainly isn't a safe place to work.

And to outdo that ... a car on the pavement side managed to reverse through those railings and out onto the main road.

Video.
(PCP just off-screen to the left).

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2016, 07:29:24 AM »

There's no limit to human stupidity, is there?
  Eric

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2016, 07:32:42 AM »

It can't be protected against, that's for sure !! :-X :)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2016, 09:10:33 AM »

Update - at last, after 5 days, we have working phones again. :thumbs:

Of course I don't know for sure it was caused by the storm, but bit of a coincidence if not.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2016, 02:04:22 PM »

And to outdo that ... a car on the pavement side managed to reverse through those railings and out onto the main road.

Psst, @BlackSheep, do you recognise that roundabout? If you've been training over this way, you may well do...

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2016, 02:56:55 PM »

When I started to read your post yesterday, my heart skipped as I thought this must be the 'Cab at the roundabout' that every OR engineer I know detests. It really is a death waiting to happen in our opinion, but statistics will probably say otherwise ??

Then, a milli-second later, I seem to recall you mention you live in Yaaaaarkshire  ;D ?? If so, the only training I've done there is in Harrogate ..... quite a few times actually. But, the training seemed to move en-masse down to Stone/Staffs a long time ago with just the odd event being held at Harrogate. So, if it is Harrogate we are talking about my memory isn't good enough to remember the said roundabout ??!!

I do remember 'Gyrating Geoffrey' though ..... mad 'stard !!  ;D ;D

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2016, 04:23:31 PM »

Then, a milli-second later, I seem to recall you mention you live in Yaaaaarkshire  ;D ?? If so, the only training I've done there is in Harrogate ..... quite a few times actually. But, the training seemed to move en-masse down to Stone/Staffs a long time ago with just the odd event being held at Harrogate.

So, if it is Harrogate we are talking about my memory isn't good enough to remember the said roundabout ??!!

Exactly. One of the roads off that roundabout leads to the Openreach training centre here. From the number of vans that go in and out on a daily basis, I reckon it is still up and running. There's a whole forest of telegraph poles there too.

I did wonder, on moving into the area, why Harrogate seemed to have gotten the fibre deployment relatively early. I originally wondered if it was because Liv was from Harrogate, but have since decided it was more likely that it was used as an early "on-the-job training" location.

The downside of this location is that when our line was installed, the engineers were very keen to follow every H+S foible to the letter ... just in case they were seen by someone passing by  :whistle: It added to the delays somewhat.

I do remember 'Gyrating Geoffrey' though ..... mad 'stard !!  ;D ;D

I had to go look that one up... and one of the links points straight back to this site!

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2016, 05:15:17 PM »

Exactly. One of the roads off that roundabout leads to the Openreach training centre here. From the number of vans that go in and out on a daily basis, I reckon it is still up and running. There's a whole forest of telegraph poles there too.

I did wonder, on moving into the area, why Harrogate seemed to have gotten the fibre deployment relatively early. I originally wondered if it was because Liv was from Harrogate, but have since decided it was more likely that it was used as an early "on-the-job training" location.

The downside of this location is that when our line was installed, the engineers were very keen to follow every H+S foible to the letter ... just in case they were seen by someone passing by  :whistle: It added to the delays somewhat.

I had to go look that one up... and one of the links points straight back to this site!

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear in the other post. I mean we have a very similar set-up on my patch in Gods country (Lancashire), with a Cab sited right next to a mini-roundabout (a painted circle), with all sorts of vehicles thundering past at 40mph literally inches away from where you are working.

The line-of-sight at the roundabout junction is such that there is no need to decrease your travelling speed. I've said it before on here, the older you get, the more aware of ones mortality you become !! :-\

PS .... I think the Harrogate roll-out was probably because all the posh folk live there !! ;) ;D ;D Lovely place though and only a gentle hours drive from my hovel.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2016, 08:33:53 PM »

I figured you refered to your own problem spot too. I imagine current siting requirements are a tad more onerous.

"My" roundabout was the one in the video (surprised that the video didn't capture 3 Openreach vans leaving  :-X). Nicely kept... but it barely slows the traffic in some directions either.

And you're right that the place has some posh people & places. Unfortunately, it has also suffered from that quaint blight of developers: spliteverythingintoflatsitis. Which has now become a nasty case of nosparewifichannelosis. Thankfully it can be held in remission with 5 GHz treatment.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2016, 08:40:41 PM »

Ah right ..... my apologies again ..... I hadn't spotted/played the video in your above post  ::)

Hells bells, I have to say that particular Cab is probably in the worst place I've ever seen !! I must confess, I've never noticed it before on my travels to Harrogate but should I end up going again, I certainly will.  :)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

anything