Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is there any advantage in re-contracting with an ISP?  (Read 8350 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Is there any advantage in re-contracting with an ISP?
« on: September 13, 2016, 12:24:25 PM »

I've been out of contract with BT for a while and I keep getting reminders to re-contract. Currently thay are trying to lure me back with the HH6. Though it would be interesting to get a HH6, even if its just for backup, I'm wondering if there is any other advantages of re-contracting with them? They want to re-contract for 18 months.

Any thoughts?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
Re: Is there any advantage in re-contracting with an ISP?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 12:39:28 PM »

Definitely, you can use it to haggle a great deal.

We currently pay TalkTalk the line rental only and get free FTTC up to 80Mbps and free anytime calls to UK landlines.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 01:52:55 PM »

Thanks for the reply mate.

Hmm it looks like I need to call the bt number 0800 800 030.

I'm wondering what are others paying for the upto 80Mbps package? Apparently if I can compare what others are paying I might be able to get some discounts.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

pooclah

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 03:24:16 PM »

Defiantly worth a phone call.  I was out of contract earlier in the year and rang BT to cancel a couple of unused services.  They cancelled the services and without prompting offered me a discount on my broadband if I renewed for 12 months.

I now pay £25.35 per month for Infinity 2 + weekend calls.  They did say to make sure I ring again close to the end of the of the 12 months to ensure I got the best deal at that time.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 04:13:46 PM »

Thanks for the reply mate.

I'm wondering what are others paying for the upto 80Mbps package? Apparently if I can compare what others are paying I might be able to get some discounts.

Personally, I would find TalkTalk, EE, etc. and their latest offers, give BT a ring and say you're leaving because they're cheaper.

With the new switching system, BT never initiate the cancellation, the new provider initiates does, so they can either say no and nothing will happen or - hopefully - they'll give you a great deal. Persistence is key.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 10:29:57 AM »

You know all this switching for best deal really annoys me.    Why should we have to do this?  What ever happened to customer loyalty and surely if you are happy with your service then you may not want to go elsewhere which may have a worse reputation.

IMHO we have OFCOM to blame for the switch ethos..  and to be perfectly frank Im not even sure if its in the SP's best interest.   New customers mean additional charges such as migration fees and new modems and the first 12 months of any contract has little profit.   The customer who switches every 12/18 months seldom contributes to the infrastructure costs.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Oldjim

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 10:46:44 AM »

Having just checked electricity costs via a comparison website there are a whole raft of offers for new customers but not for existing ones so I am not sure if OFCOM are entirely to blame (my saving would be several hundred pounds in the year then I would have to change again)
Jim
Plusnet

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 11:36:47 AM »

You have a point, in that we currently seem to live in a 'compare the market'  and 'new customers only 'world.   I forgot to mention that the providers pay certain compare sites quite big amounts.  For example I may get say £15-£20 (if Im lucky as most get clawed back), yet the big compare sites get nearer £100 or more which is why they are able to give cash backs. Therefore thats another chunk of cash they have to pay out to get new users. 

OFCOM encourages switching... as does OFGEM.  Both have an almost identical ethos when it comes to 'competition in the UK market'.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

aesmith

• Kitizen
Is there any advantage in re-contracting with an ISP?
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 06:18:51 PM »

Insurance as well, I did a renewal quote with Aviva and it was around 35% More than the price for a new customer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 06:21:01 PM by aesmith »

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2016, 06:55:18 PM »

Yes, if you haven't call up that BT number and haggle. BT and some of the other firms can sometimes give you decent retention offers as they won't face the additional costs of attracting new customers.

You will be best off quoting the price/offers other ISPs are currently offering - rather than what customers actually pay.

Another time to negotiate new contracts is after they notify you of a price increase but before it goes into effect - as otherwise you can cancel your existing contract without penalty.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2016, 09:45:29 PM »

You know all this switching for best deal really annoys me.    Why should we have to do this?  What ever happened to customer loyalty and surely if you are happy with your service then you may not want to go elsewhere which may have a worse reputation.

IMHO we have OFCOM to blame for the switch ethos..  and to be perfectly frank Im not even sure if its in the SP's best interest.   New customers mean additional charges such as migration fees and new modems and the first 12 months of any contract has little profit.   The customer who switches every 12/18 months seldom contributes to the infrastructure costs.

ofgem the same rubbish also, its been reported they banned deals in the fuel market that are for new customers only but then in april they decided to stop enforcing it, guess what happened? now new customer only deals back in place again which loyal customers subsidise.  These regulators need to work to a different ethos, its not a healthy market that just rewards people hopping companies on a annual basis.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2016, 08:17:23 PM »

How the heck could anyone see an advantage were there is no LLU at the exchange and is BT wholesale/retail only, so you have to change your ISP when the contract runs out for a slightly better deal but it's a not a massive difference and you get a crap locked down modem/router.

What most of you forget is there is setup/install charge of £30-50 when changing ISP though you can rant & rave to new ISP to get this removed

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2016, 10:07:10 PM »

most isps I am aware of have free migration.

Migrating is not the same as new install.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2016, 10:29:41 PM »

Actually its something Ive noticed of late.   The ISPs are insisting on 'setup costs' (usually in the region of £50) regardless if its new or migration.

Vodafone do. (£49)
Sky have very recently started doing it.  You have to look very closely at the small print to find it but its either £39 or £50 depending on circumstance.
SEE now do (£50)
BT is £49, but not sure on migration as its not clear, but it looks like it may be.
TT is £50 currently reduced to £25.

It appears to be the latest move to claw back some of the headline grabbing low figures from those who switch.   Totally new fttc are about the only ones to benefit.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 10:37:29 PM by kitz »
-----

Oldjim

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2016, 10:30:15 PM »

I can't speak for all ISP's but Plusnet charge £30 if you move to an LLU supplier
This is a cancellation charge not a connection charge
Jim
Plusnet
Pages: [1] 2