Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: plusnet problems  (Read 7428 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: plusnet problems
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2016, 10:37:56 AM »

I haven't been following this closely as Ive had other stuff on...  but Im sure I said a few weeks back that due to the fact that it seems to be only affecting some people... and due to the fact that those people had similar IPs (and will therefore be geographic related) that it was most likely related to a particular MSIL.

My connection going through Preston has been fine.*   My guess would be teething problems on one MSIL.  By providing them with a static IP, the steering server will be tunnelling them through to named gateways and they could be bypassing the problematic MSIL.

Latest: people put on to static IP are finding their Plusnet current line speed is set to 21Mbps - including those on FTTC!
I'm on static, and been on the new network for quite a while.  I've been on both dynamic and static whilst on the new network.   Pressumably its the ones with problems who have very recently been issued a static IP.

I think they not allowed to use BT retail resources for plusnet that would break ofcom guidelines,

They may be able to, because its retail and nothing to do with Openreach and/or BT wholesale.  Its Openreach/BTw which is Chinese walled.
Jelv will remember how years ago some of us on Plusnet trialled RIN - which was basically BT Retails network (Retail Internet Network).  Looking back we hindsight we were the guinea pigs for BT retails dedicated WBMC.  BTr can (and do) white label this service for other ISPs.

*Aside from the fact that Ive taken a big x-talk hit recently which has knocked 9Mbps from my speed and now slightly under-performing for its line length.
I'm not even going to bother doing anything about it :
1) Because nothing can be done.
2) Ive had a ticket open for 3 weeks about another issue which no-one has even bothered to look at properly yet.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2016, 10:41:44 AM »

It's a bit worrying the direction Plusnet is going in. A couple of years ago I would recommend them a lot because they had good support, were cheap and the network seemed to be fine.

Since then, the support seems to have become poor (from what I've heard), the congestion issues seem to be ongoing all the time and their prices I'm sure have risen?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2016, 10:47:11 AM »

>> My guess would be teething problems on one MSIL.

Should expand on that - when I say MSIL.  I don't necessarily mean that the MSIL doesnt have enough capacity.. it could be equipment related of, or anything near to the MSIL.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2016, 10:53:45 AM »

here is ispreview news story

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2016/09/performance-woes-hamper-plusnet-users-new-network-takes-blame.html

I think kitz BT retail have some kind of test they have to pass, they not allowed to operate at a loss, e.g. using openreach profits to give away free BT broadband.

It was 2-3 years back when talktalk complained about it I think saying infinity was too cheap, then by coincidence BT infinity prices risen shortly after.  I forgot what the actual wording is on what the test is called.  I think is squeeze margins test or something similar.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 10:57:30 AM by Chrysalis »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2016, 11:05:53 AM »

MST - Margin Squeeze Test.   Thats so that BTw can't provide products at a loss - with the aim of specifically undercutting the LLU based ISPs. 
As long as the pricing is right (ie not cheaper than 'x' profit) then OFCOM would be OK with it.
-----

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2016, 06:25:40 PM »

I think the VULA margin was Ofcom looking at the retail pricing of BT Consumer (and also Plusnet) and comparing it with the wholesale costs, I think Plusnet's 40/20 was got rid of shortly after that.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2016, 09:34:22 PM »

I just had a look again and it seems to be that the margin that has to be maintained between BTw costs and BTr retail costs, e.g. there was some stories about BT sport making BT struggle to pass the margin test, if it was BTw only then BT sport would not be relevant.

I think before this got brought up by talktalk plusnet was ran at a loss (BT brought more capacity than the finances made sensible) and BT infinity was possibly also a loss leader, which BT had to remedy following talktalk's complaint to avoid ofcom action.

So is as ejs said.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2016, 10:13:22 AM »

Yet the odd thing is that other ISPs can have loss leaders. 

Take for example SSE and vodafone.
This pricing guide is something I've been working on, as I believe other compare sites don't show the true picture of cost and only concentrate on the head line grabbing £0, whilst there may be hidden charges and they only concentrate on the big few.
Its not ready to go live yet as 1) It needs prettifying 2) I still need to figure out a complicated multiple join and sort that is proving very difficult, but the monthly figures and 1st annual totals are correct, so gives you an idea.

--
PS @ weaver.  Yes it will also include aaisp when Im done. 

---
ETA removed link - didnt want it indexing.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 10:20:32 PM by kitz »
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2016, 10:17:05 AM »

I know, I am not ofcom :(

They are over protective of llu, everyone knows it except them.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything