Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: plusnet problems  (Read 7430 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
plusnet problems
« on: September 10, 2016, 08:06:08 PM »

Plusnet seem to have been through hell since spring 2015 onwards, sadly it seems now their new network has problems, any thoughts on this?

Could it be congestion so soon after it was deployed? Or some kind of glitch they cannot figure out.

I hope plusnet get it resolved, as even tho I was annoyed with them when I left, I think it will be a good thing if they can recover from this.

The TBB graphs remind me of virgin media/ntl graphs, never seen a DSL isp looking like that before.

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/High-packet-loss-and-other-DNS-issues/td-p/1354749/page/42

Starman

• Reg Member
Re: plusnet problems
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 01:32:24 PM »

No major problems with my PN connection - although I have a static IP which I believe it means I'm still on the old network.

Jaggies

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 04:42:53 PM »

I also have a static IP and was moved to the new network around April this year. Also not showing the same as the OP on my TBB monitor:

Those spikes are always there...

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 09:11:09 PM »

seems to not affect static ip customers according to that thread.

The graph I pasted isnt my line, I am no longer a plusnet customer.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 10:03:14 PM »

No major problems with my PN connection - although I have a static IP which I believe it means I'm still on the old network.

You can be on the new network and tunnelled through to the old bng gateways. If you have a static IP you can't tell if you are on the old or new network.

Once people are moved to the new network they are NEVER moved back.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Geekofbroadband

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 01:44:28 AM »

Hearing all these Plusnet issues lately is making me think about paying £5 more a month for Sky  ;)

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 09:27:49 PM »

Looks like Plusnet don't have a clue what the problem is (or if they do they don't have a solution). Loads of people seeing issues on the new network are being given static IPs to circumvent the issue.

Geekofbroadband

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 09:32:48 PM »

Well thats not very good news...  :(
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 09:36:23 PM by Geekofbroadband »

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2016, 01:14:56 AM »

Latest: people put on to static IP are finding their Plusnet current line speed is set to 21Mbps - including those on FTTC!

RayW

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 08:22:21 AM »

Looks like Plusnet don't have a clue what the problem is (or if they do they don't have a solution). Loads of people seeing issues on the new network are being given static IPs to circumvent the issue.

Oh dear.

I can see them being shifted over to BT capacity at some stage (unfortunately) ...

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2016, 09:55:24 AM »

I think they not allowed to use BT retail resources for plusnet, that would break ofcom guidelines, unless there was some kind of paper transaction on the balance sheet to making it some kind of commercial arrangement.

Plusnet are now in the same league as talktalk for budget broadband, unless BT are prepared to lose a ton of money it sort fo does add up congestion will appear.   I am not convinced it is normal congestion tho, as it would be odd for plusnet to give customers with static ip's their own little isolated network segment protected from contention issues :)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2016, 10:19:21 AM »

I've been following that thread for a while, but luckily am not affected,  as both connectiona have fixed ip's. It does seem to be a right pain to track down the cause, and I don't think it is congestion eirher, as sometimes it's affected customers all day. Plus Net staff have been replying in the thread, but I think only last week officially acknowledged the problem which has been going on for about six weeks now.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2016, 10:31:07 AM »

I think they not allowed to use BT retail resources for plusnet, that would break ofcom guidelines, unless there was some kind of paper transaction on the balance sheet to making it some kind of commercial arrangement.

Plusnet are now in the same league as talktalk for budget broadband, unless BT are prepared to lose a ton of money it sort fo does add up congestion will appear.   I am not convinced it is normal congestion tho, as it would be odd for plusnet to give customers with static ip's their own little isolated network segment protected from contention issues :)

TalkTalk's network is actually really good. I've never had congestion issues, ever.

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2016, 10:33:50 AM »

I don't seem to be experiencing any problems at the moment, but last week I had a drop in speed, until I connected my new 1m tandy cable, and lost 1db up and down  :(

Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2016, 10:34:37 AM »

TalkTalk's network is actually really good. I've never had congestion issues, ever.

talktalk do have an inherit lower cost tho due to using a non BT wholesale network. They are also not regulated like the BT group.

I suspect the most likely cause of the loss is a software problem leading to processors been over utilised.
Pages: [1] 2