Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: t-mobile price increases (oct 2016) - wow  (Read 1876 times)

roswellgrey

t-mobile price increases (oct 2016) - wow
« on: September 09, 2016, 03:47:49 PM »

I have been with t-mobile a very long time , and they have caused me very little hassle - hence I rate them as a very good supplier :) .....

But the price incease notification I received today is the highest percentage increase I have ever seen in one hit from anyone ...

http://ee.co.uk/help/add-ons-benefits-and-plans/price-plans-and-costs/t-mobile-price-plans/t-mobile-pay-as-you-go-price-increase

100% price increase (at least) on the internet boosters  ???  >:(  :(.   They really do want old t-mobile customers to get onto EE methinks .... (thesedays, the new owners have got to pay for those footie rights somehow,  I suppose ...)

Oh well - off to Three when my booster runs out :)
Billion 8800NL

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: t-mobile price increases (oct 2016) - wow
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 08:27:31 PM »

I dont know how much data boosts normally cost with other companies.   
..  But I take it from your reaction and a 100% increase... that the new pricing is over the odds and as you say a deliberate attempt to get you to switch :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 11:10:11 AM »

They really do want old t-mobile customers to get onto EE methinks

Over on TBB's forums, I had this to say:

Quote from: "WWWombat on TBB
Consider it as the start of the process of getting people to swap from the T-Mobile and Orange brands to the EE one. BT won't want to keep the French and German brands around too much - and are perhaps under a requirement to drop them gradually.

EE's internet add-on costs the same amount per month (£5), but there isn't a 6 month option. Both give you 500 MB for the month, but EE's is a hard-counted limit, whereas T-mobile's is a softer "fair use policy" that might not be enforced well.

I'd guess that the new £12pm charge will motivate all the minimal users to move (to EE, or away), but it will leave the heavy users behind. They'll then start getting ToC'd away too.

My gut feeling is that this is ultimately more about branding than revenue generation.

.... (thesedays, the new owners have got to pay for those footie rights somehow,  I suppose ...)

I suspect that money might come from the people paying multi-gigabytes per month, not those on half a gigabyte.

Incidentally, I currently use EE's PAYG setup, and get more data than this, at a lower price ... though it takes a while to build up.

I'm on one of the weekly packs, at £1 per week, £4.30 per month, which starts at 100MB per week (plus some voice & text), 430MB per month. However, EE offer a boost every 3 months, such that your £4.30/m buys 640MB/m after 3 months, 860MB/m after 6 months, etc. Mine is currently over 1GB/m,

roswellgrey

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 06:00:07 PM »

Funnily enough, if EE had just said they are killing off T-Mob/Orange totally for branding reasons, I would have not had a problem, and would have assessed the EE offerings with an open mind.
The keeping of 3 brands with (many) multiple legacy tariffs must be a total backend nightmare, and I have great sympathy for that situation.

But, upping the price by 100% I do find unforgivable, especially with the condescending "we haven’t actually increased any of our rates since 2013, and in that time the costs of running our business have continued to rise" . Well, that was a business decision that T-Mobile made - it is hardly the customers "fault" that they didn't choose to increase their prices gradually over the years :(

Oh well .... 1 GB per month for £3.33 was never going to last for ever I know, but there are more elegant ways and means than a blunt stick :(
Billion 8800NL

anything