Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT FTTC Traffic shaping FUP  (Read 2974 times)

cliver

• Reg Member
BT FTTC Traffic shaping FUP
« on: September 06, 2016, 06:43:51 PM »

Do BT still apply traffic shaping/rate limiting under their fair usage policy these days on their FTTC products? My contract with TT expires soon and I'm looking at options.
Regards
Clive

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

psychopomp1

• Reg Member

cliver

• Reg Member
Re: BT FTTC Traffic shaping FUP
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 09:50:13 PM »

This may answer your question:

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/unhappiness/f/4501284-switched-from-sky-to-bt-gone-from-great-to-unuseable.html?fpart=all&vc=1

Hmm, thanks for that psycopomp1, according to their site they don't do traffic shaping any more. User experience would suggest otherwise :-(
Shame the 52Mbps service sounds right up my street.

highpriest

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 09:55:26 PM »

Do BT still apply traffic shaping/rate limiting under their fair usage policy these days on their FTTC products? My contract with TT expires soon and I'm looking at options.

Was with BT on Infinity 2 for over 4 years (now with Plus) and I can confirm that there was no traffic shaping of any kind applied on my line for the last 3 years that I was with them. They completely abandoned those systems sometime in 2013 if memory serves right.

All the Glasnost tests came back clean.

http://broadband.mpi-sws.org/transparency/glasnost.php
Zen | Zyxel VMG8324-B10A (with RFC4638 patch) | EdgeRouter PoE | UniFi AP AC Pro + Lite

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 06:59:30 AM »

cliver, TBH if i was looking to move away from TalkTalk Business FTTC I would only consider moving to Vodafone, Sky or AAISP FTTC, thats assuming VF or Sky have their backhaul at your FTTC exchange.

Apparently Vodafone (ex C&W) have multiple 10gb/s links to exchanges they have LLU'd so plenty of capacity and almost zero chance of exchange congestion. They now also give out broadband username and password so free to use your own router as their own router isn't the best. Sky FTTC is also highly rated though they have recently stopped offering their 80/20 Pro service, so no more static IP option available (and better support?). AAISP, well they're arguably the best ISP around obviously not cheap but their prices have come down in recent years eg their 1TB FTTC service (TTB based). IMHO going with any 1 of these 3 will pretty much guarantee you a decent FTTC connection.

cliver

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 07:35:43 AM »

Thanks guys. Good advice 😀

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 10:58:00 AM »

Quote from: m1ssed
latency of over 300ms in most FPS games.

That does NOT sound like traffic shaping or network management.   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything