Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: lenovo laptop warranty  (Read 4281 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
lenovo laptop warranty
« on: September 06, 2016, 02:15:43 AM »

So I got a new laptop back in april, could tell it was built cheaply compared to my old laptop but regardless I used it.

Well a couple of hours ago I accidently knocked my 120mm fan over (slim pc case fan I was using externally to blow air over my upper body plugged into laptop usb port), it fell on to the laptop keyboard still spinning and managed to break off one of the keys, bear in mind this is only a light fan, the laptop must have been really bad build quality for this to break off a key, and the key wont push back into place so the damage looks permanent.

The laptop is in warranty but I have replaced the hdd with a ssd (hdd still here and with original OS installation on it) and added a new ram stick.

I cannot remember which ram stick was the one I put in, and one of the screws to remove the old hdd did have a sticker on it which I have obviously destroyed.

Now I am not sure what will happen with their warranty procedure, I know the keyboard is actually removable, it can sort of visibly be seen and is one reason of probably built of low quality, and that they sell replacement keyboards for my laptop on their site.

I have emailed them already to report the broken key, but not how it broke just to say it is broken, and asking how to proceed.

No mention also has been made that I have swapped out the storage and added ram.

I am going to guess this will go one of 3 ways.

1 - They send me replacement keyboard covered by warranty, probably best solution for me providing I get instructions how to swap it out.
2 - They ask me to ship off laptop to them for refit/replacement, not keen on this option as never know if will get some other used/refurbished device back, not to mention hassles of shipping, do I pay shipping costs, and will they moan about the breached screw sticker etc. I would want to remove my extra ram stick and put original hdd back in before sending it off of course.  So I also run the risk of leaving the wrong ram stick in.
3 - They either refuse warranty or I decide to not bother and I end up buying the replacement keyboard of their site which is actually quite pricey considering the build quality and size (40 euros).

any thoughts how to handle this, mainly with the possible complications of void warranty of storage swap, if I remove the right ram stick they will never know I added ram, but the sticker was breached on hdd caddy.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: lenovo laptop warranty
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 04:33:26 PM »

They want me to send it in for repair 10 working days wait also.  Plus I actually need to take it to a post office, no pick up at door, what a pain.

So I am now choosing between.

1 - remove extra ram, put original hdd back in, repackage it, take it to post office, wait probably 3+ weeks, have risk of them saying not covered cause of hdd caddy been accessed and providing me quote to fix, if not then get back after that 3+ weeks repaired.
or
2 - I go online now order replacement keyboard part, which itself is not in stock it says stocked on demand, but I have no stress of putting original hdd back in, can use laptop whilst I wait. But this will cost me 40 euros.

hmmm

#1 also has risk of it been lost/damaged in transit which lenovo specifically said they providing no insurance against.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 04:57:20 PM »

In that sort of situation, I would be tempted to say that disk contains private information and, therefore, the laptop will be returned for repair with the disk removed.

In the next round of discussions, I would suggest that they consider shipping a new keyboard to me and I would perform the replacement task. Once completed, the damaged keyboard would then be sent to them.

If neither of the above results in an acceptable solution, my reply would be that I shall just source and purchase a new system from a reputable supplier. Their products will never be used again.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 05:27:42 PM »

Thanks

I pushed the key back in again and it is working, just with the top part of the key not staying in place so looks a wonky.  It is the 6 on the num key pad, not one of the main keys.

That is a very good suggestion regarding the disk. thanks.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 07:18:11 PM »

A HDD is a user replaceable part - on most laptops its actually designed to be user replaceable and I bet if you looked you'll probably find instructions on Lenovo's website, so it would be a very bad company that refused warranty on a keyboard problem because the HDD had been changed, or additional ram added.

Like BC states though, I'd remove the HDD, it's irrelevant to the fault.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 09:04:51 PM »

Yep will be ringing them tomorrow to state its been removed to preserve privacy, if they want to test the OS they can temporarily use a spare hdd to do their tests.

anything