Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Bethere - Load Balancing Success  (Read 18139 times)

jabns

• Reg Member
Bethere - Load Balancing Success
« on: April 11, 2008, 05:24:47 AM »

Hi all,

Just thought i would let you all know how it went:

I had been up all night configuring my load balancer so it was ready for the activation then about 1 hour ago i noticed I lost sync to the exchange on 2 lines. So I ran and switched the modem cables from the old gear to the new setup and waited for about 10mins then all of a sudden the pings started returning.

The first thing I did was a speed test of course and here are the results:
http://b.imagehost.org/0445/speedy.jpg

Its not to bad considering i am only syncing at around 15,000kbs on both lines(not DMT'd them yet). I am hoping to push the speeds up to around 17,000kbs and then get Annex M(2.5mb/s upload) enabled which will drop a bit of the download speed but give me around 5mb/s upload.

I was quite surprised that my attenuation went up by 6db on both lines.

I think this is what they call geek heaven  :lol: .

PS @ Kitz: I still have another 2 lines on the way to cripple your download speeds  :P  ;)

James

-----
Title amended by Admin - re thread later split
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 12:06:25 PM by jabns »

Re: Bethere Load Balancing Success
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 12:21:04 PM »

Your attenuation isn't being measured at 300kHz now so it will be higher.

I assume both lines are fully interleaved? If so then you'll get a couple more Mbps if they are capable of "fastpath" without doing any tweaking. Just get Be to switch you to fastpath once the DLM period has ended. With a decent line you are better tweaking (using DMT Tool) a line which has minimal interleaving on it as you'll get a far better idea when you've tweaked "too far".

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 06:42:37 PM »

Uptime:   0 days, 3:14:56
Modulation:   G.992.5 Annex M US 56
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   1,940 / 14,407
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]:   15.89 / 119.83
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:   13.0 / 18.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:   14.5 / 28.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:   6.0 / 6.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote):   TMMB / µ
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):   4 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):   1 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):   0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):   86 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 74,006
CRC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 145
HEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 130

I just was not expecting it to go up by 6db. Since they enabled Annex M its gone up by another 1db.

I have loads of FEC errors and was wondering what sort of frequencies ADSL2+ operates on and what interferes. Do you think i should drop the speed a bit by raising my SNR or is this number of errors normal for ADSL2+. The one problem is that its a pain DMTing to the beboxes because they are in bridge mode and on different subnets.

Thanks,
James

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 03:46:13 PM »

ADSL2+ is all the way up to 2.2MHz or so. Annex M uses frequencies from 25kHz to 276kHz for upstream rather than 25-138kHz on Annex A.

Your FEC errors are fine as they're showing corrected errors. CRCs and HECs are reasonable. No problem with either.

However you either have a problem with local wiring or a local noise source as you're showing a Loss of Framing/Loss of Signal event (they usually go 4:1 ie 4 LoF = 1 LoS on Be) and your upstream isn't maxed out - which it should be with that attenuation.

Do both lines look the same?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 04:41:47 PM »

oooooooh   glad you got the load balancer sorted. :thumbs:
(or am I?) :lol:

I have a few things to sort first...  but I have seen the shiny new Be* MSAN.   Unfort I couldnt photograph any non BT dslams/msans, but I do have a piccy of their BTw handover frame and the backhaul fibre which I will post up at some point if youre interested.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 07:37:59 AM »

Yes please do kitz.

Rizla i have redone my wiring in my house and now both lines have the same attenuation (they were different by 0.5 before). Here are printscreens from DMT of both lines. What do you make of the difference in sync speed. I noticed it said there was a frequency gap.

WAN1:

WAN2:
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 07:50:44 AM by jabns »

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 08:10:48 PM »

Is there any difference in the graphs if you only permit one line at a time to sync? While you're trying that also try swapping the PSUs over on the ST585 boxes to remove that as a factor.

kitz also mentioned that your lines might not all come from the same cab?

WAN1 still looks like bad wiring to me - you can see how fast the upstream bitloading drops off compared to WAN2. I'm assuming you're using twisted pair cable for extensions and not the horrible (useless) flat extensions?

Edit - the cable from the faceplate to the router doesn't go through any sort of surge suppressor does it? eg the ones that are common on consumer UPS boxes.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 08:13:21 PM by rizla »

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 02:05:23 PM »

* rizla spams thread back to top and beats James over the head in the hope of an update :P

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 02:43:18 PM »

Sorry about that I have been so busy programming a new CMS for my site that I have not had time to think. It also could be the fact that I have had Grand Theft Auto 4 for the last 6 days so I have kind of not seen much daylight  :lol:.

Both the lines defiantly take the same route according to the BT engineer that was here last time.

None of the lines have any extensions.

Here is a diagram to let you see how i have done it:

The green dots are a CAT5e cable that i have fed from the hall to the study. I have lobed one RJ45 connector of normal modem cable and used 2 junction boxes (1 at each end of the CAT5e) so it goes: Modem Cable>>CAT5e>>Modem Cable

What i am going to do is put 1 be box in the hall and then use the CAT5e as a ethernet cable to the router in the study.

When i swapped the modems over both lines dropped by 1mbit and there SNRs stayed at 6.5DB. When i swapped them back they have stuck at the same sync speeds  :'( . I think i am going to try 2 DG834GT's as the BeBox is very very hot running and i get packet loss sometimes.

I also tried swapping plug sockets over(and plugs) to no avail. I have also flicked ever circuit breaker bar the modems and routers and that did not change any stats either.

I am stuck now  ???

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 06:38:22 PM »

What's the green blob in the garage? Some sort of junction box? If it is then I would be inclined to open it up and see what the wiring looked like (yes I know about the legalities of this but I personally would still do it). For example you may find a tangle of wires which were twisted pair but have been untwisted (if you see what I mean). Shortening the untwisted sections would reduce crosstalk considerably, as indeed physically separating the two lines as far as is possible would. Do remember that I lost a couple of Mbps just because I hadn't terminated the centre ground connection on a CAT6e cable that ran about 2 metres away so all sorts of weirdness is possible.

Re the BeBox - yes they do run hotter on interleaved lines and also if the wireless is enabled. The packet loss is unlikely to be the BeBox I'm afraid, it is far more likely to be the transit Be are using from your exchange to the world.

Edit - you have turned the BeBox upside down haven't you? It'll run much cooler that way - no joke.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 06:47:33 PM by rizla »

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 08:06:26 PM »

They already are  :lol: .

I laughed at that design. Why have they thrown convection out of the window???

I am already in the progress of separating the lines into two separate junction boxes. I have already removed the mass of wires that were in there and have just left the 4 wires from the lines in there.

Do you know where you can get official BT junction boxes from.

singhwon

• Just arrived
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 12:56:13 AM »

Yo, Ive got two bethere lines currently installed. For the past few days ive been trying to figure out how to load balance them, is there any particuluar software or hardware your using?

I would really appriciate the help

Cheers.

I have removed your email address from this post to prevent crawlers getting it thus resulting in a load of spam.
We do not need your email address on public forums because we only normally give advice in the forums. That way others can also benefit from any help given.
dave
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 05:13:49 PM by dave.m »

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 06:56:30 PM »

I am currently using pfsense.

http://www.pfsense.com/

You can use any old PC you have lying around.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 06:59:01 PM by jabns »

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 07:37:37 PM »

I've been following this thread, but so far have not understood a word of it... should I be worried?
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2008, 09:29:51 PM »

I am currently using pfsense.

http://www.pfsense.com/

Oooo its a monowall fork.
* rizla wanders off to look
Pages: [1] 2 3