Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: New BT 52Mbps service  (Read 3217 times)

cliver

• Reg Member
New BT 52Mbps service
« on: September 03, 2016, 03:33:26 PM »

Hi all,
I'm currently on TalkTalk fibre large service, up to 72 Mbps. I get a consistent  50Mbps download test result on this service.
My contract is up shortly and Ill be looking at options.
If I take up the BT 52Mbps service can I expect to get the 50Mbps that I get now or will I lose a chunk prorate due to the different configuration?

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: New BT 52Mbps service
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 03:38:16 PM »

FTTC is essentially identical on all ISPs. Your sync with TalkTalk should be the same with bt. Looking at your stats in another thread, their 52/10 looks perfect for you.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 03:39:09 PM »

Your speeds should remain the same though its possible that might be temporarily different for a short period (i.e. if changing ISP resets g.inp assuming its active on your line until its switched back on again by DLM)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 04:32:16 PM »

What happens about the upstream?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2016, 04:36:03 PM »

the upstream will reduce from up to 20 to up to 10.

cliver

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2016, 08:54:26 PM »

Thanks guys 😀

cliver

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2016, 10:35:53 PM »

Just a thought.. what will talk talk do if I move to their standard fttc service, up to 32Mbps? Something must change surely?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2016, 11:10:52 PM »

You'd likely also see the same DLM reset as mentioned above.

But more importantly your upstream would drop to just 2Mbps less overheads.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2016, 11:11:44 PM »

BT's lower offering was 40/10, it's now 52/10. TalkTalk fibre large is up to 80/20, and fibre medium is 40/2. With your line you would achieve the full sync, but it's quite a big drop in upload.

Sorry I didn't quite understand what you meant by what would TalkTalk do? They would take your money and put you on a new contract. The change in product would also trigger a DLM reset.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2016, 02:57:14 AM »

Tip: If you're thinking about TalkTalk, would TalkTalk business be any use to you? I read that they have a good reputation, and it has been claimed that they are quite a different bunch from the home user team. Possibly better service too. Health warning: I'm just going on what others have said tho, so don't put too much trust in these comments.  :no:  Perhaps worth a look anyway.

cliver

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2016, 06:57:42 AM »

Thanks guys, think I understand now. @j0hn: I now see that my profile would change from 80/20 to 40/2 so I would get the full download speeds on my line but drop in upload as you describe. I was unclear as to what would change on my setup, I am now clear it would be my DLM settings. Thanks
@Weaver: Worth looking at but to be honest I don't personally get a lot of trouble with TT now. I'm not one to ring support every time I get a glitch. I don't have a standard setup anyway as I'm not using their supplied router ( apart from the modem side) so they wouldn't be much help anyway. If only call in if I thought my line was down for some reason. IMHO they are all much of a muchness when it comes to support, especially if you don't have a standard setup. I'll have a look at business but to be frank I'm looking for the best in terms if cost while still keeping good speeds within my lines capabilities.
@kitz: Thanks for the input here and for a great forum. I'm slowly learning by reading here and messing at home 😁. My trouble is that as I begin to get a grip on one technology it moves on to something new. I was happy messing around with 56K dial up modems and knew where I was with them 😂😂😋😊😉
Regards
Clive

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2016, 11:31:58 AM »

I'm currently with TalkTalk and Fibre Large. Have you considered haggling with them? Not sure how much you're paying currently per month but I pay £20 p/m for my new 18month contract due to discounts on the Plus TV package and a £5 discount on Fibre Large.

I would think that's considerably cheaper than moving to BT and keeps the higher upload? Edit: pay line rental up front.
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

cliver

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2016, 06:11:20 PM »

@jid: I called them last week but they won't talk about a deal until my current contract expires on 14th sept. I will be taking to them then to see what they can offer. :-)

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2016, 08:14:36 PM »

Yes they're funny like that with renewing contracts! Let us know how you get on :)
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather