Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Samsung recalling Galaxy Note 7 over fires  (Read 5465 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Samsung recalling Galaxy Note 7 over fires
« on: September 02, 2016, 10:36:00 AM »

Posted in general tech area rather as it sounds like another battery issue, rather than being Samsung specific.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37253742

Sympathies to Samsung here, I suspect it could have happened to any other manufacturer.  But modern battery tech does occupy a high ranking position on the list of things I worry about these days. :o

Just so much stored energy in a tiny package, it seems almost inevitable that sometimes, somehow, that energy will find a way to violently unleash itself?

« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 12:28:42 PM by kitz »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Samsung recalling Galaxy Note 7 over fires
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 12:35:39 PM »

Does indeed seem like a battery issue. :(
Hope they manage to get them all replaced before serious fire damage is done.   

--
PS slightly changed topic title to avoid confusion with the Galaxy S7.  I don't think the Note7 is available in the UK yet.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 12:38:36 PM »

PS slightly changed topic title to avoid confusion with the Galaxy S7.  I don't think the Note 7 is available in the UK yet.

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that subtlety. :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 02:21:56 PM »

It was only 'cause I read the headline.... and was about to warn my friend, who has just got a new S7.  :D
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 11:36:24 PM »

It's beginning to sound like this one's really quite a big issue...

FAA want to ban samsung galaxy note 7 from flights...

https://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/news_story.cfm?newsId=20794

And Samsung seem to be going into serious panic mode, asking people to urgently surrender the phones voluntarily, rather than wait for a recall...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37329191

I personally predict, the statistics behind this issue might prove to be many many times worse than the 'few dozen phones out of two and a half million' that has been reported.   The 2.5 million figure is probably accurate as the number shipped, but I find it hard to believe this would be the reaction if it were really such a tiny proportion of phones that had proven dangerous.   :o

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 01:40:07 AM »

How do we fix this recurring problem? Regulations governing design, manufacturing and quality control of these dangerous parts?

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 01:49:31 AM »

The problem as I see it is the 'Adaptive Fast Charge' charger is charging at 12v, when the battery is only a standard battery of ?v (maybe 3.5v)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2016, 11:55:55 PM »

Oh dear, the replacements that Samsung are sending out, after recalling these devices, are also bursting into flames.   :o

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-37600014

When I started this thread I expressed sympathies to Samsung on the basis it could have happened to any manufacturer.   But in the light (no pun intended) of this latest news, it gets harder to defend them.   ???

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 04:32:53 PM »

Where I worked they were trying to develop a Re-chargeable Sodium–sulfur battery for the railway carriages use, these where very big a when they catch on fire you knew about it. :o
It's operating temperatures of 300 to 350 °C  :'(
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium%E2%80%93sulfur_battery
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 04:44:23 PM »

For it to happen on the revised product is very bad, shows some serious lacking QC.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2016, 08:27:52 AM »

This issue is now main headline on BBC breakfast news, as well as top spot the online news.   Samsung are advising people to simply switch them all off until the issue is resolved.   :o

But my understanding of lithium batteries was that, if they have become defective and prone to combustion,  it is just as likely to happen when switched off as when switched on?    ???

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2016, 09:32:18 AM »

They're saying it's not the batteries, it's another fault.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2016, 10:44:37 AM »

I don't know if this is relevant to this issue but when I got my S4 I found out later it was actually a different version. There were 2 types of S4. There were slight differences. I remember the one I have didnt have either 4g or that other high speed method on.

Also it was always 'dodgy' when it came to charging it. The charger adapter that you plug in to the mains has never worked properly. It just doesn't charge it. The only way I've been charging it as been via usb cables to my computer. I don't know if this is connected but just as all these stories started coming out I was charging my phone like usual at the computer, like I've done many times before. But now there was no charge and the phone was very hot. I took it out of the case I had it in (always had it in the case for years and never a problem), and I did buy a new battery to replace it as I'd heard it could be the battery. But since then its started charging fine again and no heat.

I also noticed if I put it in an open drawer of my bedside table, so its reachable if anyone calls. If it drops further inside the open drawer it got hot. I'm not sure why. Unless it was struggling to get a signal and thats why? I'd not noticed that before. I haven't re-tested the drawer position since the phone stopped getting hot again, and I still have the spare battery sat here. I never used it.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2016, 11:15:02 AM »

It's all history now
Samsung has confirmed that it is permanently stopping production of the Galaxy Note 7 smartphone after it was involved in dozens of fires and explosions worldwide.

In a regulatory filing in Korea late on Tuesday, the firm said it had made the decision to stop production for the sake of consumer safety, according to the Associated Press.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2016, 11:33:25 AM »

It was even top story on Radio 4 news.   Maybe just me, but I wouldn't have associated Radio 4's target audience with cutting-edge smartphones.  :-\

Maybe they'll be building it into 'The Archers' plot in a few weeks time? ::)
Pages: [1] 2