Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: TN, IPS, LED and LCD  (Read 6872 times)

Geekofbroadband

• Reg Member
TN, IPS, LED and LCD
« on: August 31, 2016, 01:37:41 AM »

Hi everyone,

So I'm sort of confused at the moment and cant seem to find anything online about it.

Does my laptop screen, model: P170EM have an IPS or TN panel? Because all I can see it says is LCD LED so does that mean its doesn't have IPS or TN?

And if LED is the back light and LCD is the actual screen technology where is the IPS and TN panels?

Thanks  :P

digitalnemesis

• Reg Member
Re: TN, IPS, LED and LCD
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 02:45:03 AM »

Seems to be a TN panel.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Clevo-P170EM-Notebook.73442.0.html

http://www.panelook.com/N173HGE-L11_Innolux_17.3_LCM_overview_12343.html

If you can download a trial version of AIDA64 and state the Monitor ID under Display > Monitor I can confirm further.

IPS is preferable due to wider viewing angles.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 02:47:16 AM by digitalnemesis »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 08:29:14 AM »

IPS is preferable due to wider viewing angles.
Personal preference. I can't stand IPS glow, and went for a Dell S2716DG G-Sync monitor, with a decent TN panel. VA panels are preferred by others though the range of VA panels isn't so great.

The Clevo P170EM is a TN panel. Reviews suggest it's a decent TN panel.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 12:31:32 PM »

As a rule of thumb if the panel type is not specified the chances are its TN, as TN is not a thing to brag about.

Other indicators are the advertised viewing angles (178 degrees will mean either IPS or VA).

I can tell if something is TN straight away as you get massive colour shift when not looking at it dead on.
However modern budget IPS panels (with cost cutting going on) perform similar to VA panels where they have contrast shift.

My dell 2209wa which was the first budget IPS to market has pretty much no shift at all of the image quality when viewing off angle, even at extreme angles.  It turns out that monitor actually has a IPS-H panel (which is usually a high end part).  My 2 newer IPS panels have contrast shift when off angle, and the angle doesnt need to be extreme either to notice it, although its nowhere near as bad as a TN screen.

The 2209wa is an amazing screen (as well as all expensive high end IPS are), and once you see one of those you will like them.  However it has the old type of backlighting screen which tends to suffer from backlight bleed (aka glow).  LED is better in that regard where bleed is much less, so darks are better, which mitigates the weakness of IPS partically which is poor blacks and contrast ratios, also LED is much more power efficient and should last longer.

My 2209wa backlight is noticeably dimmer now from when it was new.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 12:57:22 AM by Chrysalis »

Geekofbroadband

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 03:11:43 PM »

Thanks.

So LCD is the actual screen, then in the middle is either IPS or TN then the back light is either LED or CFL?

@digitalnemesis http://i.imgur.com/0SaJwWB.png  :D
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 03:14:02 PM by Geekofbroadband »

digitalnemesis

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 04:02:54 PM »

IPS, TN, VA, etc. are screen technologies for liquid crystal displays (LCDs).

Your LCD is definitely a TN panel.

Geekofbroadband

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 11:54:13 PM »

I guess thats good in a way, I was looking to get an ASUS VG248QE so now I have some idea what it will look like :)

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 01:42:16 AM »

I guess thats good in a way, I was looking to get an ASUS VG248QE so now I have some idea what it will look like :)
why that monitor in particular? It's a fairly old model now. 1 of its biggest selling points was that you could fit the Nvidia g-sync upgrade kit. that's next to impossible to source now though (last I checked anyway).
if it's within budget and if it's for gaming with an Nvidia card then you would be better buying it's replacement the Asus swift PG278Q. The problem with them being quality control.   Many have had to return a couple till they get a good one without any banding, bleeding, dead pixels etc.

It's the reason I went with the Dell S2716DG. It's a fantastic TN panel, g-sync, 144hz, 2560 x 1440. I got a perfect monitor 1st time. to top it off,I was watching it on camelcamelcamel for Amazon getting stock, with their price being about £499. It happened to top up with a mis-price at £99.87   ;D
I really wish I'd bought 3 but didn't want to risk it being spotted and figured 1 had more chance slipping through the cracks. It arrived the next day, best bargain I've bought, ever, anywhere!

Geekofbroadband

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 02:09:14 AM »

I was thinking about getting a 1440p but I thought if I got a 1080p monitor games would last longer without me having to upgrade the GPU, on a GTX 1070.

That monitor does look good but at £543!  :o

Maybe I should wait another couple of years for affordable OLED 1440p / 2160p 144Hz monitors  :lol:

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 03:10:52 AM »

That's the problem with Nvidias proprietary tech, it's so expensive. With AMD being open source their version of G-Sync is so much cheaper. Freesync equivalents are about £200 cheaper for identical monitors.

G-Sync is really a nice to have but not essential. With a GTX1070 I would be looking at 1440p and 144hz. You'll find quite a few reasonably priced IPS panels with that resolution/refresh rate, and your GPU will handle that easy on new games. If price means you need to go a little lower on spec then go 1080p with 144hz. The resolution doesn't make a huge difference, but the refresh rate does. I'd never go back to a 60hz monitor. Gameplay is so much smoother at the higher refresh rates.

Geekofbroadband

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2016, 06:23:27 PM »

The BenQ GW2765HT LED IPS 27 looks interesting for £294
 (16:9 2560 x 1440, 1000:1, 20M:1, 4 ms GTG)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2016, 09:23:12 PM »

Thats my exact monitor :)

It is pretty good, but has a displayport bug, if you turn it off manually e.g. going out or going to bed, then when you turn it on it wont get a signal as displayport gets stuck in sleep mode.  To wake it up you have to unplug the cable from the pc, wait a couple of seconds then plug it back in.  No workaround for the issue outside of the OS. 

I ended up just using a dual link dvi cable as the issue only exists on the displayport, hdmi also works fine.

Note if the monitor goes off automatically due to power saving, it will wake up correctly, even if you power it off with the button whilst its in power saving mode, so a workaround to the bug is to add one of those programs that triggers display power saving mode to the quick launch bar and have it put the display in sleep mode on demand, then you can power it off without the wake up bug.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 09:26:13 PM by Chrysalis »

Geekofbroadband

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2016, 02:30:47 AM »

@Chrysalis have you done any gaming on this monitor, if so how is it? I'm considering getting one of these just for causal gaming so i dont need the fastest respond times but obviosuly I dont want to look like its lagging/blurry  :)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2016, 04:32:50 AM »

I have but I am not a gamer who is addicted to response times, I dont play FPS games.

But for me 60-fps appears fine, 30fps looks a bit juddery due to how LCD's work.  It does not have any motion smoothing tech for low framerates,

The control buttons including the power are at the back of the screen which is annoying, but otherwise I like it.

anything