Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Broadening coverage with a solution for long lines  (Read 4555 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Broadening coverage with a solution for long lines
« on: August 30, 2016, 07:23:15 AM »

We have an ambition to deliver a minimum of 10Mbps to any property in the UK regardless of how remote they are. Broadband speeds can reduce over significant distances so long reach VDSL is an ideal solution for lines which are a long way – usually 2.5-3.5 km - from the cabinet. This is because it operates at higher power levels and makes use of a wider range of frequencies to increase broadband speeds and the distance over which they can be delivered.

Following an initial pilot in Sussex, the remote community of North Tolsta on the Isle of Lewis, Scotland is the first to test the technology with 20 households taking part. The village is remote and has one fibre cabinet supporting a cluster of long lines. Initial results are encouraging with most households seeing significant increases in their fibre broadband speeds. Congratulations to all involved in getting this trial up and running.

forceware

Re: Broadening coverage with a solution for long lines
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 01:04:20 PM »

I'm really excited about this, I'm 1 mile from the cabinet and as I understand it it could double my speeds. Fingers crossed my eci cabinet isn't too much of a hurdle.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 02:38:52 PM »

10Mbps is a pretty low ambition to be perfectly honest. By around 2020 the minimum is going to be at least 30, what with 4K becoming the norm.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 02:46:24 PM »

You seem to be an expert in your own bedroom, GigabitEthernet ................ why not contact BT and give them your master-plan ??

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 02:50:36 PM »

Sounds good to me, but only if we were to get a green cab in the first place.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 02:59:18 PM »

You seem to be an expert in your own bedroom, GigabitEthernet ................ why not contact BT and give them your master-plan ??

I would imagine it involves some serious CapEx which those with hands on the purse strings wouldn't tolerate.

As with most things this was the cheapest and most expedient solution.

Lower bandwidth VDSL, not a wider but more narrow range of frequencies, higher power per tone, vectoring.

This is about as good as it could get, wireline, without a lot more taxpayer funding. Those of us who are stuck on FTTC for the next however many years may start to sulk if our taxes help to pay for too many more premises to get better services than we have available to us so a reasonable move under the circumstances.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 03:02:13 PM by Ignitionnet »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 03:53:52 PM »

I think I read something somewhere about putting in a lot of totally new green cabs in Ulster. Is there any chance of BT getting additional cabs (or smaller tin boxes) deployed further out in order to make LR-VDSL2 (or even LR2-VDSL2 if it comes) more relevant?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 04:40:32 PM »

10mbit is I consider generous from a private entity such as BT, remember I posted I think the USO should be 2mbit :p.

I do recognise that very remote properties have a disproportionate cost and as such expectations have to be lowered for those people.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 04:41:53 PM »

They said back in January that they will be adding about 2,800 extra cabinets over the next few years: "Insertion of extra cabinet on long lines or high demand cabinets".

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 05:01:30 PM »

That's good to hear, ejs. The village of Heasta is just over ~1200 m long. If they were to put one cab in the village, then that would transform everything. How big a radius does an FTTC cab typically serve I wonder?

Ironically, suddenly I'd have the one of the worst DSL connections in the village, not the best (by far).

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2016, 09:00:32 PM »

Is there anything to stop this long vdsl technology being used on all lines?

I'm sure it would improve any line that isn't at the 80Mb limit so far.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2016, 09:21:21 PM »

One thing is the fact that it's using VDSL2 Profile 8b, so it's only using the first half of the usual VDSL2 frequency range.

But the more important issue is the adverse impact it would have on ADSL services (for cabinets away from the exchange). So you'd need to close down the ADSL services, or have the ADSL users put up with it and make it another reason to get them to upgrade. This may or may not be a problem, depending on your point of view. At some time, old technology needs to be got rid of to make way for newer technology.

At the pilot in Sussex, the Isfield exchange somehow never got any ADSL, so there is no ADSL there (which is why it was chosen for the pilot).

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2016, 09:30:29 PM »

Is there anything to stop this long vdsl technology being used on all lines?

I'm sure it would improve any line that isn't at the 80Mb limit so far.
I'm sure it wouldn't. I currently get 50mb, I would instantly lose at least 10mb. The LR-VDSL only gives up to 40/10.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2016, 07:29:58 AM »

There must be a lot of lines longer than 3.5km.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2016, 10:47:09 AM »

I'm sure it wouldn't. I currently get 50mb, I would instantly lose at least 10mb. The LR-VDSL only gives up to 40/10.

Ahh.. so even though its long it has a steeper drop off rate. Interesting.

As others have said I think its about time ADSL was gotten rid of.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2
Pages: [1] 2