Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FTTC Download Speed Advice  (Read 5165 times)

twok

FTTC Download Speed Advice
« on: August 25, 2016, 01:35:13 PM »

Hi new to the forum and hoping someone can help me with my poor download speeds.  I've been with BT Infinity 2 for nearly 3 years now.  In the beginning my download speeds were low 40's but have dropped to mid-high twenties.  On the 17/8 I switched  to BT Infinity 1 so was hoping that the DLM reset would improve my download speeds a little.  Before the switch my IP profile via the BT speedtester was 26.43 (had been stuck on that for ages) it's changing daily but staying around 28-28.5 (a little better).  My set-up hasn't changed in terms of wiring etc. and I've used an ASUS DSL-AC68U for the best part of 2 years to counter the woeful wifi from BT hub.  To be honest most of the settings on the hub go over my head.  I've attached a couple of screenshots of the settings I think the experts on forum would ask for.  Any assistance/advices greatly appreciated.

p.s. the 3 hour uptime was me messing with the router settings i.e. not an instability forced reset.     
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 01:37:23 PM by twok »

twok

Re: FTTC Download Speed Advice
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 01:49:04 PM »

another screenshot from BT broadband availability checker - maybe useful?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 02:29:57 PM »

the main response your going to get on here is ditch the Asus. It's great as a router, but the modem on it is absolutely useless. I own 1, but wouldn't connect the modem side to my line again.
Asus DSL-AC68U discussion thread
The stats are unreliable so I wouldn't like to give my thoughts from them, but others will most likely be more helpful.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

twok

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 02:52:21 PM »

thanks John. To be honest the reduction possibly coincided with my use of the ASUS - I've been using it for a near on 2 years.  I've managed to wangle a homehub 6 as part of my contract renewal so its maybe time to get it out of the box and give it a try!   

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 03:53:20 PM »

As has been suggested, look to try something other than that Asus - it doesn't have a good reputation. the HH6 is relatively new so BT are still ironing out some bugs and probably have a way to go to optimize the firmware.

However, after a quick look at your settings:

a) if you can enable UPBO rather than leave it at auto do so; and
b) switch on the g.inp and vectoring options

twok

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 04:00:32 PM »

thanks for the advice gt94sss2.

I'm going to try the bt 6 hub for a few days.  Can anyone help with the login details required for DSLstats?  Thanks

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 04:05:28 PM »

The HH6 doesn't work with DSLStats.

Enabling g.inp in particular should lead to your speeds increasing regardless of the modem used ( you can't select it in the HH6 - it will come on automatically if required with the HH)

twok

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 04:29:15 PM »

thanks gt94sss2  I did have the g.inp and vectoring switched on until today on the ASUS.  The screenshots were taken after I took them off whilst experimenting to see if they were superfluous/damaging as my DSL status screen confirmed I was using G.993.2  Are there any programs that provide deeper stats on the hh6?  I'd like to keep it switched on for a few days and see how things go but with a little more insight. The regular UI shows very little past the sync speed.  The ASUS for example showed that interleaving was on and the depth.  Thanks

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 04:38:20 PM »

Afraid the HH6 is locked down so one can't currently get more stats than offered in the GUI.

The other thing you can check is if you hear any noise on your line when making a voice call.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 05:43:42 PM »

The other thing you can check is if you hear any noise on your line when making a voice call.

Or specifically perform a quiet line test.  ;) 

Establish a (free) call to 17070, listen to the menu options offered and select "Quiet Line Test". A QLT is best performed with the use of a classic, wired, telephone rather than a cordless telephone. There should be absolutely no noise . . . no hum, no clicks, no pops, no overhearing of other telephone conversations, etc.

And I nearly forgot to mention the most important thing -- Welcome to the Kitz forum.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

twok

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 06:59:40 PM »

thanks burakkucat.  my line is silent with a cordless - it's been a long time since I owned a corded phone  :)

what I struggle with is interpreting my line stats.  I've tried reading up on things but I generally end up becoming more confused!  For example I believe line attenuation increases with the distance from the cabinet (mines 17.7 down) so can this be used together with my max. rate to see what the theoretical max. is after accounting distance?  Then there's probably a reduction in speed for congestion (crosstalk?) etc.  What I'd like to know from someone that understands these things is do my stats indicate there's a problem that a BT engineer could remedy or can my speeds be simply down to factors such as distance from exchange/crosstalk etc.?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 07:24:11 PM »

thanks burakkucat.  my line is silent with a cordless

Acknowledged.  :)

. . . I believe line attenuation increases with the distance from the cabinet . . .

Yes, that's correct.

. . . can this be used together with my max. rate to see what the theoretical max. is after accounting distance?

Yes, again, although there is no definitive formula. It really depends upon the accuracy of the device in reporting the data correctly and an "interpretation" of the "feeling" that an experienced viewer of such data will possess.

Then there's probably a reduction in speed for congestion (crosstalk?) etc.

And again, yes.

What I'd like to know from someone that understands these things is do my stats indicate there's a problem that a BT engineer could remedy or can my speeds be simply down to factors such as distance from exchange/crosstalk etc.?

Unfortunately those Asus modem/routers have such a reputation, that any information obtained is viewed with justifiable suspicion.  :-X
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2016, 07:56:16 PM »

1 definite stat that can be ignored from the Asus is the max attainable downstream. It's always way too high on the Asus, and appears so with you also. So forget about the 42mb shown, that's the Asus getting your hopes up. I wonder how many faults have been reported on the basis of being a mile off the attainable when using this modem. My guess would be quite a few!

I would recommend trying to get your hands on a broadcom based modem, even if you could borrow 1? Seeing accurate stats would help in giving advice. Most ISP modems are pretty locked down with very basic stats. A Huawei HG612, Billion modem, or ZyXEL modem are the most popular. The Huawei can be picked up on EBay for around £20 and is excellent for diagnosing problems and receiving advice on these forums. I prefer the ZyXEL myself but that's spending a bit more money.

twok

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2016, 08:09:24 PM »

I have the original white bt Eci modem - is that any good for providing reliable stats?  If so I'll need some advice on how to configure asus or hh6 to be used as a router only,  since I no longer have the old bt hh3? router.  thanks for your patience.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2016, 04:32:09 AM »

unfortunately not. You have the wrong version. there was 2 original white OpenReach modems, 1 ECI and 1 Huawei. They both looked almost identical. The Huawei can easily be unlocked with a simply firmware upload, and provides excellent stats. The ECI requires opening up, soldering, connecting cables, flashing, etc. After all that the ECI stats aren't as good as the Huawei.

The Asus is quite easy to setup as a router only. This is done under WAN settings > Dual WAN > select Dual WAN NO. Change from DSL to WAN and choose the Ethernet port you want to use as a WAN port. Options might be named slightly different I'm quoting that from memory, but you'll find it from that. Unfortunately you automatically lose 1 of the 4 Ethernet ports by turning 1 into a WAN port. Then to retrieve stats you need to use another port.

We're unsure how the Asus really performs, and how much DLM doesn't like it, as it doesn't provide the necessary ES/SES stats, and the INP values are incorrect. I know on my line, which is shorter than yours, the Asus would struggle to hold a steady 6dB SNR margin. My advice would be to seriously look into getting a new modem to run with the Asus, or to sell the Asus and get a new modem/router combo. Unlike when you bought your Asus, there's now a decent range of modem/router combos
Pages: [1] 2

anything