Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Installing Intel driver updater collects more data than you'd expect  (Read 3910 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors

Just noticed Intel® Computing Improvement Program got installed presumably with the Intel Driver Updater (for WiFi only, this is an AMD system).

Collected data seems rather overreaching considering all I asked for was something to keep my drivers up to date.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/idsa-cip.html

Usage information contains:
  • Software usage: for example, frequency and duration of application usage such as Intel® Driver & Support Assistant, but not the application content itself such as specific actions or keyboard input.
  • Feature usage: for example, how much RAM you usually use or your laptop’s average battery life.
  • Other devices in your computing environment
  • The categories of websites you visit, but not the URL itself, Includes universal plug and play devices and devices that broadcast information to your computer on a local area network: for example, smart TV model and vendor information, and video streaming devices.
The information collected includes categorized web browsing history that shows how long and how often you visited specific categories of sites (i.e. social media, personal finance, or news). All site visits are classified into one of 30 categories. We do not collect URLs, web pages titles, or user-specific content without explicit permission from you.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2023, 10:17:03 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

craigski

• Reg Member
Re: Installing Intel driver updater collects more data than you'd expect
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2023, 12:15:42 PM »

You don't have to participate if you don't want to, just decline.

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2023, 12:26:07 PM »

Or just uninstall it... as it's not required for updating drivers  ;)
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2023, 07:35:18 PM »

Obviously, but that wasn't really the point of my post, it was that it exists at all and can easily be installed by accident and I would never have known if it weren't for checking the Windows Reliability application and seeing mention of this getting a Windows Update.

The fact they would even scan my browser activity at all I find suspicious, even if supposedly they are only looking for specific sites rather than recording everything I do.  Its why I refuse to use addons like Honey, its just ripe for abuse.  I don't even use the web browser on that machine except to download the odd software, its the principle of the thing.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2023, 10:54:07 PM »

It’s pretty open and transparent, not actually sure what the issue is.
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2023, 03:12:04 AM »

I'd have to go back and double check but I do not remember being told they could monitor what sites I visited when I installed it.

I probably missed it in the terms and conditions, but you would not expect a service that is just supposed to check if your PC is performing correctly would include that information as its not relevant to its advertised purpose.  I never knowingly install anything that snoops on my web activity as its none of their damn business.

Its like websites which have a ton of things flagged as "legitimate interest" to get around GDPR, although that's worse as they are not explicit about what they consider legitimate.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2023, 04:11:28 AM »

I install the intel driver via device manager manually, just select the inf file.

Driver installers I only use if its the only way, but to be fair to intel as others said, its made clear and optional.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2023, 02:26:09 PM »

During installation of Driver & Support Assistant it is NOT made clear and optional!

Launching the installer I cannot see any mention of them monitoring your web browser activity in their terms and conditions.

Even though it mentions "not limited to" it does go on to say "related to the software".

Who would think web browser activity is "related information" to a program that's supposed to merely make sure your PC is working correctly and keep your drivers up to date?

Even if its not personalised, even if its not sending URLs just checking my browser history for social media, this is NOT OKAY!

I would never consent to any software monitoring my browser history, that's a clear breach of privacy however you look at it!

« Last Edit: November 05, 2023, 02:39:21 PM by Alex Atkin UK »