Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: FTTC UK Modem advice  (Read 13293 times)

cliver

• Reg Member
Re: FTTC UK Modem advice
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2016, 06:32:51 PM »

U3 being N/A probably means your line is too long to make any use of the U3 band at all. Not even enough signal received to measure the attenuation.

D3 SNRM of 0.0 dB either shows the current conditions, and/or possibly that there are zero bits currently allocated to any of the tones in that band, the bit loading data would confirm or contradict that theory.
Thanks ejs.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

roswellgrey

« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2016, 08:08:09 PM »

I may well be wrong, but I don't think the UK Band plans use U3 (assuming you are UK based), so the n/a is just saying that Band is not in use.
As ejs says, bitloading , snr and hlog graphs will reveal all, but I would guess that the attenuation on your line at the higher frequencies (in the D3 band) is borderline as to usability i.e. it doesn't have a lot of margin to spare  ... on 1st boot it decided not to use them, and after poweroff/reboot, it changed its mind i.e it is right on the threshold of use/no-use
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 08:10:21 PM by roswellgrey »
Billion 8800NL

cliver

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2016, 09:13:00 PM »

Think you may be right there roswellgrey, in DSLStats U3 is greyed out.
I am indeed UK based 😀

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2016, 02:38:00 AM »

I may well be wrong, but I don't think the UK Band plans use U3 (assuming you are UK based), so the n/a is just saying that Band is not in use.

You're quite correct.  U3 and U4 arent in use

As ejs says, bitloading , snr and hlog graphs will reveal all, but I would guess that the attenuation on your line at the higher frequencies (in the D3 band) is borderline as to usability i.e. it doesn't have a lot of margin to spare  ... on 1st boot it decided not to use them, and after poweroff/reboot, it changed its mind i.e it is right on the threshold of use/no-use

That first sync was rather strange.  Obviously the line has sufficient SNR to give you the higher speeds, but for some reason during the channel analysis of training mustn't have had.   I can't think of any obvious reason why it would do that.  Hopefully it was a one off bad sync.   I used to get them on adsl after a power cut or power surge.   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2016, 06:22:58 PM »

I was thinking it might have started off with a few bits allocated in D3, but later bit swapped them all down to zero bits allocated. Tones with zero bits may still have some signal so that the modem can monitor them for later re-use (they're sometimes referred to as monitored tones). Monitored tones would still have signal and noise, but they might not technically have an SNRM.

cliver

• Reg Member
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2016, 10:04:33 AM »

Thanks for all the input guys, makes for interesting and educational reading.  :)
I have had the VMG8924 online for several days now and noticed the following:
  • Ping Times have gone from a consistent 8-10 Ms on HG365 to >12Ms on the VMG
  • Speed test results have gone from 50Mbps down 9Mbps up on HG635 to 47Mbps Down 6-7Mbps up on the VMG8924
  • I have been running dslstats on the VMG and seeing error bursts which coincide with glitches in my TV service. I didn't get anywhere near the same number of these on the HG635

So I have just put the HG635 back online and my sync rate and speed test results have recovered to their former glory. It's to early to tell if the errors will also diminish.

Both are configured as modem only.

Looks like the HG635 is the better performer as it stands.

My only concern is that I don't have same level of configuration control over the HG635 as The VMG8924 and I can't find a way to get a stats from it. So, unless someone can point me to how I can unlock/hack the HG365 to get more control, and a stats app that I can use with it, I would rather use the VMG8924 if I can.
I attach the logging output from dslstats and config screens on the VMG8924 and the config screens and what stats I can from the HG365 if anyone can give me any ideas if I can change anything on the VMG8924 to get it to perform better.

So, the questions I now have are:
1. Can I do anything to the VMG8924 to improve it connection speed and reduce the errors (probably mutually exclusive;)?
2. Can I improve the HG365 by unlocking/hacking/flashing to give me better control of the modem settings and to get stats from it?
3. Would it be worth getting a HG612 3B to try?
4. If the HG635 turns out to be the better performer and I stick with it will it connect to and perform the same regardless of who I buy my FTTC service from? In my mind the theory is that it's all the same OpenReach kit until the exchange so changing supplier shouldn't make any difference to sync rates/SNR etc. So, assuming I can configure it to any supplier it should perform as well?
5. On another matter entirely, whats the best stats program to use out there? Ideally that I can/could use on the VMG8924, the HG635 and a HG612. I got dslstas working on the VMG8924 but not the HG635. I would prefer a program that just saves the stats in a csv file/files that I can do my own graphing from if that's possible?
I have used DMT in the past on a Netgear Router and got on OK with it but don't think it's compatible with these three.

All input so far greatly appreciated and any and all input on the above also.
Regards to all
Clive

cliver

• Reg Member
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2016, 10:07:46 AM »

More stats attached

cliver

• Reg Member
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2016, 10:12:29 AM »

More Stats from VMG8924

cliver

• Reg Member
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2016, 10:14:02 AM »

Last lot, If there's anything specific that might be helpful I may have it.

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2016, 11:55:45 AM »

To get full stats and things like dslstats working from the HG635 you just need to edit the config file to enable telnet access.  See http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,15574.0.html

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2016, 12:44:12 PM »

Unfortunately the horizontal scale for the tone numbers is not very useful, it needed to go all the way up to tone 4095 to cover all of the VDSL2 bands.

cliver

• Reg Member
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2016, 02:22:56 PM »

To get full stats and things like dslstats working from the HG635 you just need to edit the config file to enable telnet access.  See http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,15574.0.html

Thanks Les,
Just downloaded the script and installed python but get the attached error when I run it.
Have I missed something?

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2016, 03:18:34 PM »

I really don't know.  I have only run the script on raspberry pi or other Linux.  I attach what "I think" is a default config file edited to enable telenet. The file type is changed to .txt  you can change it back to .conf but it should not matter if you don't  If you give it a try do save your current config and when it is working  with the new config do a "shields up" to check all ports are OK and not open on the wan.  It is a long while since I used a HG635 but another option is to use it in bridge mode with the Zyxel doing the ppoe.

cliver

• Reg Member
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2016, 04:00:55 PM »

Hi Les,

Should have made clear. I am using the HG635 in bridged mode with an Asus router and AP behind it doing all the LAN and routing stuff.
The whole aim has been to find the best modem that I can use for any ISP service I may move to.
I was using the Zxytel the same way.

If I flash your conf file and then set up bridge mode I assume it will keep telnet?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 04:02:57 PM by cliver »

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2016, 04:14:48 PM »

I can't see why not but I have never tried it. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

anything