Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: FTTC UK Modem advice  (Read 13243 times)

cliver

• Reg Member
FTTC UK Modem advice
« on: August 24, 2016, 05:35:43 PM »

Current setup:
Talk Talk Fibre Large. Fed , I think, from a Huawei OpenReach cab.
I am a fair distance from the cab and get a reliable 50Mbps down and 8Mbps up on my current service.
Modem: Talk Talk sort router set as modern only
Router: RT-AC68U
2nd AP: RT-AC66U for improved wireless coverage
Both routers running RMerlin latest firmware.
I access the modern direct from the LAN with IP routing scripts in the router and would like to be able to do the same with any replacement modem.
My contract with TT expiress next month and I'd like to consider my options, although I get good reliability and speeds from TT at the moment.
Anyway; I'm looking to replace the TT super router with a good generic modem that I can use on any FTTC service.

So should I go for one of the Open Reach modems on eBay?
If so HG612 or ECI?<br />I'm happy flashing replacement firmwares on these and like the idea of getting stats.
Or should I go for a proprietary one like Dratek Vigor?

My main requirement is, as always, good reliable sync speeds and reliable hardware.

Anyone with any thoughts, experiences and advice much appreciated.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: FTTC UK Modem advice
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 06:27:40 PM »

It would be worthwhile for you to take a look at the Combined VDSL2 Modem Routers thread.

Would you prefer to have an all-in-one device or would a multi-box solution be acceptable?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

cliver

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 10:10:56 PM »

Not really burrakkucat, I have a lan setup with my existing routers that works well and I don't want to have to set it all up again every time I change isp's. So my plan is to have a modem that I can use for any isp so I'm not reliant on the supplied modem router. Hope that makes sense.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 11:29:37 PM »

Hi Cliver, my setup was similar to yours (albeit with ADLS2+), I also prefer to have a dedicated router with separate WAP's and modems etc.

I also had an RT-68U as my main router and used a Billion 7800N followed by a Zyxel VMG8324 in bridge mode as modems.

Personally I had problems using the RT-68U in this way as it would periodically and regularly drop the PPPOE connection for no apparent reason - I replaced it with another central router and it is now just used as a WAP on my network and doing a great job.

I don't have any experience of FTTC connections but tend to stick to Broadcom based devices as I have had by far the best and most stable connections with them on my noisy long line.  Many people on here also favour them, the HG612, Billion 8800NL and Zyxel VMG8324/8924 being commonly recommended by people.

If your TalkTalk router is a Huawei HG635 like this one on ebay it might be worth keeping it as I believe it is based on a BCM63168 chipset which is actually considered a good performer and according to user kitzuser87430 can be used on any connection unfortunately not in bridge mode.

Personally I rate the Zyxel VMG8324, I have just bought a second unit and it can be used on both VDSL and ADSL connections.s

I am sure one of the more knowledgeable peeps will be along shortly to give further advice.

Cheers

Chunks
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 11:34:02 PM by Chunkers »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 11:50:53 PM »

If you want an 'Openreach modem' then I'd go for a HG612.

However, whilst these modems are stable..  I'm mindful of the fact that they have now been around for a few years and we are reliant on the likes of Asbo/HowlingWolf to ensure the firmware is kept up to date.  Also the prices on ebay are sometimes silly money for a simple modem.   If you can pick one up for <£20 then go for it.  I personally wouldnt pay more than that for a locked modem.  Some charge a little bit more if its already unlocked.

As already mentioned, the other option is using a modem/router in bridge mode.  Billions and Zyxels seem to be the most favoured for reliability and functionality. I personally like my VMG8324 and its the one I go back to, but they can be hard to get hold of although one supplier offers a discount to Kitz forum members for the VMG8924.  However if you are using it in bridge mode then you may not want to pay extra for Wireless AC and not use it.   
If you are looking for something cheaper then the VMG1312-B10A seems to be a good performer on even long lines considering it has a budget BCM chipset.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 01:01:24 AM »

So should I go for one of the Open Reach modems on eBay?
If so HG612 or ECI?<br />I'm happy flashing replacement firmwares on these and like the idea of getting stats.
The OpenReach ECI modem is locked down, and requires opening the unit and soldering to unlock and view stats. even after that the stats harvesting programs commonly used in here don't work with it.

The almost identical looking Huawei HG612 is also locked down, but is very easily unlocked by simply holding a button down then uploading modified firmware. This gives full access to the Broadcom CLI, and works with all the popular stats programs.

Your Huawei cabinet has a broadcom DSLAM, and it's recommended to match this with a broadcom modem. The HG612, Billions and ZyXELs all tend to have broadcom chipsets in them. The Broadcom modems provide the best stats/compatibility with stats programs.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

cliver

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 08:11:17 AM »

Cheers Chunkers,

My current "modem" is indeed the HG365 and it does seem to work well. I'm on tt's Fibre Large (up to 72Mbps down) and get consistent 50Mbps down on it with no disconnections that I can't out down to me messing around. So may be worth just hanging on to it.
I'll have a look at the others you mention though. Many thanks for the input.
I have only recently bought the RT-AC68U as I was using the 66U as my main router without any issues. I updated to the 68 as my main and put the 66 at the other end of the house upstairs for better wireless coverage. Both seem to week pretty much flawlessly for me.

Regards
Clive
Hi Cliver, my setup was similar to yours (albeit with ADLS2+), I also prefer to have a dedicated router with separate WAP's and modems etc.

I also had an RT-68U as my main router and used a Billion 7800N followed by a Zyxel VMG8324 in bridge mode as modems.

Personally I had problems using the RT-68U in this way as it would periodically and regularly drop the PPPOE connection for no apparent reason - I replaced it with another central router and it is now just used as a WAP on my network and doing a great job.

I don't have any experience of FTTC connections but tend to stick to Broadcom based devices as I have had by far the best and most stable connections with them on my noisy long line.  Many people on here also favour them, the HG612, Billion 8800NL and Zyxel VMG8324/8924 being commonly recommended by people.

If your TalkTalk router is a Huawei HG635 like this one on ebay it might be worth keeping it as I believe it is based on a BCM63168 chipset which is actually considered a good performer and according to user kitzuser87430 can be used on any connection unfortunately not in bridge mode.

Personally I rate the Zyxel VMG8324, I have just bought a second unit and it can be used on both VDSL and ADSL connections.s

I am sure one of the more knowledgeable peeps will be along shortly to give further advice.

Cheers

Chunks

cliver

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 08:16:37 AM »

If you want an 'Openreach modem' then I'd go for a HG612.

However, whilst these modems are stable..  I'm mindful of the fact that they have now been around for a few years and we are reliant on the likes of Asbo/HowlingWolf to ensure the firmware is kept up to date.  Also the prices on ebay are sometimes silly money for a simple modem.   If you can pick one up for <£20 then go for it.  I personally wouldnt pay more than that for a locked modem.  Some charge a little bit more if its already unlocked.

As already mentioned, the other option is using a modem/router in bridge mode.  Billions and Zyxels seem to be the most favoured for reliability and functionality. I personally like my VMG8324 and its the one I go back to, but they can be hard to get hold of although one supplier offers a discount to Kitz forum members for the VMG8924.  However if you are using it in bridge mode then you may not want to pay extra for Wireless AC and not use it.   
If you are looking for something cheaper then the VMG1312-B10A seems to be a good performer on even long lines considering it has a budget BCM chipset.
Hi kitz,
I am tempted to try the HG612 but like you am concerned that it has been around for a long time and reliant on the guys hard work to keep them up to date. And they seem to be going for ridiculous prices on eBay at the moment.
I'm not worried about paying a bit for it as long as it works well and is reliable. I'll have a look at the ones you suggest.
Many thanks for the input.
Regards
Clive

cliver

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 08:20:52 AM »

The OpenReach ECI modem is locked down, and requires opening the unit and soldering to unlock and view stats. even after that the stats harvesting programs commonly used in here don't work with it.

The almost identical looking Huawei HG612 is also locked down, but is very easily unlocked by simply holding a button down then uploading modified firmware. This gives full access to the Broadcom CLI, and works with all the popular stats programs.

Your Huawei cabinet has a broadcom DSLAM, and it's recommended to match this with a broadcom modem. The HG612, Billions and ZyXELs all tend to have broadcom chipsets in them. The Broadcom modems provide the best stats/compatibility with stats programs.
Thanks J0hn,

Plenty of choices. As I said in previous reply, I'm tempted to try the HG612. I can always go back to my current modem if necessary.
I'm thinking I may have to try a few for comparison purposes, keep the best one and sell the rest on 😁

Thanks and regards
Clive

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 08:29:22 AM »

I've become a big fan of the Zyxel VMG8324-B10A in bridge mode. It didn't work well for me as a combined modem/router, but in bridge mode it gives the best combination of speed and stability for me.

Eric

cliver

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 08:51:35 AM »

I've become a big fan of the Zyxel VMG8324-B10A in bridge mode. It didn't work well for me as a combined modem/router, but in bridge mode it gives the best combination of speed and stability for me.
Thanks roseway,
I was just googling the 8324 as everyone seems to love it. Looks like the front runner at the moment 😁

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 09:00:18 AM »

Hi

Hi kitz,
I am tempted to try the HG612 but like you am concerned that it has been around for a long time and reliant on the guys hard work to keep them up to date. And they seem to be going for ridiculous prices on eBay at the moment.
I'm not worried about paying a bit for it as long as it works well and is reliable. I'll have a look at the ones you suggest.
Many thanks for the input.
Regards
Clive

The other problem is these modems do degrade with 24/7 use (capacitor aging), so given a second hand one could have been running for a couple of years they may not be at peak performance.

Regards

Phil

cliver

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2016, 09:15:04 AM »

Hi

The other problem is these modems do degrade with 24/7 use (capacitor aging), so given a second hand one could have been running for a couple of years they may not be at peak performance.

Regards

Phil
I agree Phil, that's why I tend to buy new if I can.
Regards
Clive

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2016, 09:23:04 AM »

Thanks roseway,
I was just googling the 8324 as everyone seems to love it. Looks like the front runner at the moment 😁

I bought my 8324 new 6 months ago for £40 +P&P but they do seem to be more expensive now, I think word is spreading!  INterestingly there does not seem to be much variation in price on ebay between the 8324 and the 8924 so for my second unit I figured "might as well" get the 8924 for the better WLAN even though I am not planning to use it.

This vendor has stock on evilbay and I made an offer of £40 which was countered by £55, so I got the unit for £55 inc P&P - I was happy with on the basis that it is a new unit, was dispatched yesterday very promptly so maybe find out today if its pristine.

So I think the going rate for a new unit on ebay is £40-60 depending on how patient you are :)

Chunks

cliver

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2016, 09:40:43 AM »

I bought my 8324 new 6 months ago for £40 +P&P but they do seem to be more expensive now, I think word is spreading!  INterestingly there does not seem to be much variation in price on ebay between the 8324 and the 8924 so for my second unit I figured "might as well" get the 8924 for the better WLAN even though I am not planning to use it.

This vendor has stock on evilbay and I made an offer of £40 which was countered by £55, so I got the unit for £55 inc P&P - I was happy with on the basis that it is a new unit, was dispatched yesterday very promptly so maybe find out today if its pristine.

So I think the going rate for a new unit on ebay is £40-60 depending on how patient you are :)

Chunks
Yes, some on eBay for £100😱
But some for around £50, may put in an order 😊
Pages: [1] 2 3 4