Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Windows 10 Automatic Repair Couldn’t Repair Your PC  (Read 3494 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Windows 10 Automatic Repair Couldn’t Repair Your PC
« on: August 23, 2016, 07:22:28 PM »

Have been ask by a friend to fix his PC and have it here fired up and yes I see it automatic repair is not fixing it so can't get into windows at all apart from the options this is a windows7 to windows10 upgrade

Using command prompt to chkdsk /r d: as d: is showing Volume label is Window7 still at stage 4  7% looking for bad clusters in user file, stage 1 - 3 showed no files lost or recoverd so I think the file system is ok even tried the fix MBR stuff.

Don't want spend to long at this and trolling though Google like mad to find possible fix's has anybody come across this before and fixed it without a full reinstall.

Oh PS they have a SSD drive installed but not connected as they said they could never get it mount have not started looking into that but if the Win10 HD is broken that's an avenue to go down and keep the that data save for retrieval.

Dave974

Re: Windows 10 Automatic Repair Couldn’t Repair Your PC
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 09:28:00 PM »

I had a similar problem when updating windows 10 with the anniversary update.
It totally demolished my installation to the point I could not repair or reinstall windows 10 from a previously made disk.
I even tried "Hirens boot CD" to format my drive but it failed saying the drive was hibernated and would not mount.

In the end I had to install Linux to wipe my SSD then reinstall windows 10 from the CD.
I finally found a better way of installing the dreaded 1607 update here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You may want to try that once you get windows 7 back up and running.
Bridge mode: Zyxel VMG8324-B10A, Router: ASUS RT-AC87U
MyDSLstats user : Dave974

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 10:06:57 PM »

If you downloading the media creation tool from Dave's link, the button that says Download tool now, then you can select to make an installation for another computer on a usb stick or dvd (not 100% sure about the dvd.. I'm assuming).

When it sets it up on the usb/dvd device you should be able to change the boot order on the broke pc and it should install windows over the top correctly any problems in the process. I've had issues before with a broken windows installation and using the media creation tool helped.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 01:21:03 AM »

Have got the Win10 media install on the usb stick and fixed the SSD drive installed win10 to SSD and it's working minus a licence key, so now able to look at this win7/10 1TB hard drive and it's nearly full showing as red with only 2% left has that corrupted the drive  :-\
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 01:23:20 AM by NewtronStar »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 09:53:42 PM »

Have Vista installed on one HD and Windows 8.1 installed on 2nd HD I installed Windows 10 over the Vista HD and the MBR was lost to boot to 8.1 not a problem use EaseUS Partition Master to recreate it.

anything