Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: BT resist Government call for minimum broadband speeds  (Read 7565 times)

WWWombat

• Kitizen
Re: BT resist Government call for minimum broadband speeds
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2016, 03:23:22 PM »

I'm unclear how you can claim the fixed rate ADSL products maxed out anything.

They maxed out the viable technology being used at the time (maxing out Moore's law perhaps?). Moving to ADSLmax needed new hardware, new technology, same line, new speeds. Moving to ADSL2+ needed new hardware, new technology, same line, new speeds. Moving to VDSL2 needed new hardware, new technology, same line, new speeds. With new hardware & technologies in the backhaul and core required at various points too.

Or do you think the DSLAM that gave me 2Mbps in 2000 was the same as the one that gave me 8Mbps in 2006? It certainly wasn't the case for the modem.

A reminder that the context I replied in... You said

BT painted themselves into a corner over expectations that a line can achieve more over time. BT maxed out FTTC in 2011/12

Yet the plain truth is that lines have been achieving more over time. But each achievement has needed steps in technology ... and that "maxing out" one technology (in your exemplar, FTTC) is nothing new, nothing noteworthy. There's no "painting into a corner" because the steps keep happening.

Likewise VM need to invest in new steps of technology to live up to the speed increases they keep bringing. We've been through 2 variants of DOCSIS with a third coming, and multiple iterations of the in-home modem (limitations of Moore's law again?). In fact, didn't some of the cableco's start broadband before DOCSIS was chosen?

My message? Merely that this is all business as usual.

I'll rephrase slightly. My line, alongside perhaps 50% of the country, can go basically nowhere without deeper fibre right now regardless of what is put either side of it.

Absolutely true.

Likewise, your line (if it existed in 2009, and you used it, but you know what I mean...) would have been ADSL2+ at best, and "could go nowhere without deeper fibre right now". And that is what happened to it (eventually).

Just like your current house could use VM's service, but it can go nowhere "without deeper coax right now". Which might be happening.

Advances require .... advances.

Virgin Media's issues are somewhat different. In most areas they have ample bandwidth it's just capacity that's the problem. BT's issues are the opposite, capacity not a problem but a lack of bandwidth.

Absolutely, though you also accentuate my point. If VM didn't work on their capacity issues, they'd have an attractive-looking product that worked terribly (cue moans from some people). If BT didn't work on their bandwidth problems, they'd have an unattractive-looking product that worked near perfectly (cue moans from others). Both networks need work, in their own individual ways. Neither are painted into a corner, even if it feels like it at times.

For me, VM's apparent delaying tactics to improve capacity makes me feel that VM is "maxed out" more than than BT. Your mileage has differed, patently.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2016, 04:04:59 PM »

Or do you think the DSLAM that gave me 2Mbps in 2000 was the same as the one that gave me 8Mbps in 2006? It certainly wasn't the case for the modem.

For me, VM's apparent delaying tactics to improve capacity makes me feel that VM is "maxed out" more than than BT. Your mileage has differed, patently.

Answering your first paragraph yes, it may well have been. ADSL2+ required new equipment, new line cards may have been required for ADSLMax but the chassis should have been fine, as would the ATM being used to backhaul the product, albeit with capacity upgrades.

My mileage differs potentially because I've more visibility of the issues VM have had. I'm probably also coloured somewhat by that VM quietly continue to sink money into network CapEx, upgrade and rebuild, in far greater quantities per premises passed than Openreach, without big announcements expecting to be showered with ticker tape.

VM's upgrades for the most part are changing the equipment either side of the hardware, with occasional swapping out of equipment in cabinets. I don't quite rate that on the same level as having to blow fibre deeper into the access network and build new cabinets.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2016, 04:42:24 PM »

Ofcom really do have a defective crystal ball. Or less generously, they are morons. They've possibly done the country few favours. Perhaps we should just abolish them and save some money.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2016, 07:09:59 PM »

As far as I know the adsl dslam hardware in the exchange was the same in 2006 as it was in 2000.  I wouldnt say BT were maxing out tech.  For starters they did not utilise all technologies available such as g.inp and SRA.  Second they did no network rearranging to max out access speeds.  Third they were late to the game on adsl2+ launching it multiple years after competitors did, with VDSL they of course ignored vectoring so thats not maxed out either.  It is just who BT are, they do not like using cutting edge technology, g.fast is an anomaly in that respect, it will be the first dsl tech where they one of the first in the world to deploy it and they only doing so to avoid rolling out deeper fibre.  BT are a reactive company not a proactive one.  It has made them rich so someone is happy from it.  Plus whilst VDSL came late, it is at least here now and am glad as going back to VM would be scary.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 07:15:34 PM by Chrysalis »

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2016, 09:35:49 AM »

WWWombat - apologies for the earlier comments, they aren't my finest hour. Tad unclear, contradictory, stream of consciousness.

Regarding the cable network you might find this video interesting.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOAjzKY51-I[/youtube]

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2016, 06:49:28 PM »

ignition is it still the case if they ditched loads of channels they could up capacity on the broadband side?

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2016, 12:00:30 PM »

Yes, but there's no need as they'll gain a ton of RF capacity from moving to MP4 and ongoing access network upgrades to enlarge upstream/return paths.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

anything