Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Hebridean Holiday  (Read 3854 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Hebridean Holiday
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2016, 05:29:47 PM »

One more thing worth mentioning for anybody thinking of doing likewise, and maybe of special interest to Weaver...

...No internet, none at all. :o

Many places, including where we stayed, had no Vodafone mobile signal at all.   Where we did get a signal, it was only GPRS or Edge.   The only place I found 3G was in the immediate vicinity of the Calmac ferry terminal at Tarbert, I guess they have  a femtocell or something?

Outside town, guest houses generally did not provide WiFi either, I'm guessing their line speeds were too pathetic to share with their guests.

But if a digital detox appeals to you, it's the place to go.  After my withdrawal symptoms abated, I found it added to the relaxed atmosphere.   :D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Hebridean Holiday
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2016, 06:37:09 PM »

I'm aware that some parts of the Western Isles have FTTC. They used to have a dire long-range wireless system that was much hated. FTTC is supposed to be available in some parts of Skye now I believe.

Vodafone and O2 are fairly useless in some parts of Skye, can't say about the Western Isles. In Heasta, seeing as I'm very high up, I get excellent 3G from Three and from EE. I use both - EE on my Blackberry Z10 and Three on Mrs Weaver’s iPad with an Andrews & Arnold-over-Three data SIM. No LTE at home yet.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything