Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hebridean Holiday  (Read 3853 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Hebridean Holiday
« on: August 17, 2016, 11:03:08 AM »

We're toying with the idea of a short holiday, mainly focussed on Lewis & Harris, but maybe driving up through Skye en-route via the Uig ferry, then back to the mainland via the Ullapool ferry.

Any advice?  Any 'must dos'? 

Also... should I be thinking about hiring a (small) car rather than take my own (biggish) car, in which case I'd probably fly to Stornoway?   I last visited the area several decades ago and don't remember the roads being any problem - there's a lot of single track, but visibility is always good and plenty of passing places, and everybody very courteous.  But cars have got bigger and roads have got busier since then, and if it's anything like down South, road maintenance levels have declined . :-\

I suspect at least one forum member may show an interest, in Skye at least.  ;)

But all and any input welcome. :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Hebridean Holiday
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 05:25:28 PM »

I suspect at least one forum member may show an interest, in Skye at least.  ;)

A report on what you find at Skye Shepherd Huts would be welcomed, with interest.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 07:07:23 PM »

A report on what you find at Skye Shepherd Huts would be welcomed, with interest.  :)

Seems strangely familiar, has Heast been mentioned in other threads, I wonder?  :-\

I've now started to book my trip.   Not sure if we'll actually be stopping on Skye, but probably driving through.  At the very least I shall try to ensure I sample a view of the scenery in that  general area, even if just in suggesting 'it is your turn to drive', so I can take in the views. 

But such a report is unlikely to add to what we already know, that it is a fantastic part of the country and an enviable place to live, even if it means compromising broadband speeds.   :)

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 09:04:57 PM »

Having had some wonderful times on various Hebridean isles, in 2014 we stayed in Tarbert, Harris for a week. On reflection, it should have been a fortnight. We explored Harris mainly, but visited the Callanish Stones in Lewis and had a 'day in town' in Stornaway. One thing that struck me about Stornaway was that there seemed to be several 'high end' restaurants, some low dives, and nowt in between! We settled on the chippy, which was very good.

My four 'must dos' would be -

Luskentyre beach

North Harris eagle observatory

Callanish Stones

First Fruits  The best little tea room in Britain!

Unless you have something bigger than a Range Rover I don't think you'll have a problem on the roads.

I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Some pics to whet your appetite.

This year we're re-visiting North Uist (well almost - Grimsay), B&B-ing near Glencoe on the way to the Uig to Lochmaddy ferry.
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 09:38:19 PM »

Thank you for that, I have visited the Callanish stones before, but the other suggestions are we to me.   :)

On Harris beeches in general, I'll never forget the 'Wow' moment when, upon my first exploratory drive, I caught sight of one, tide out, full sunshine, gorgeous sand, not a soul to be seen.   Not sure where it was.  Now hoping my better half, who has never visited,  will be similarly wowed.   :fingers:

Still on beeches, not entirely sure how I swung this trip.    We'd been vaguely planning a late summer Med' beech holiday, which is generally her first choice and of course I enjoy that too. But somehow I said the right things to twist it around to the outer Hebrides instead.  :D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 11:06:45 AM »

Trip all booked up now, barring the mid-journey mainland stopovers which ought to be easy.  Phew. :)

In fact I'll be starting at the top (Ullapool) and working down, returning via Skye, as the ferry times work more sociable that way on the days I want to travel.  It also provides an opportunity to visit 4Candles' reccomended 'first fruits' tea room, as I'll have time on my hands in Tarbert.  Probably won't stop on Skye, but will drive through.    I'll report back in due course, but don't hold your breath, I prefer not to post detailed travel plans on public forums but it's all quite a bit in the future.

Only real annoyance is, why do Calmac (the ferry operators) have to insist on exact date of birth for all travelers when booking online?   That's one more server, over which I have no control, that now holds enough data about me to get past typical 'security questions' asked by banks and utilities.    >:(
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 11:11:38 AM by sevenlayermuddle »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2016, 04:00:31 AM »

North Uist also has some fantastic beaches, as good as those on Harris. When I was mobile, Mrs Weaver and I would often go across to Harris, or to North Uist and Beàrnaraigh na Hearadh (which despite the name is linked now to North Uist by a short causeway).

Strongly recommend the Langass Lodge Hotel in North Uist, we often used to go there as a treat.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2016, 09:42:58 AM »

Have to say, I don't remember the Uist beaches being quite as spectacular as Harris, but that may just be down to weather variations that tainted my memory.

Last time I visited I did a more thorough tour.  Oban to Castlebay, then up through the Uists and Benbecula, then Lewis and Harris and back via Skye.   It was all fantastic and unforgettable but Harris is the one place in particular that I promised myself I'd revisit.  30 years later, I'm finally crossing it off my 'to do' list. :D

Maybe on my next visit, hopefully not another 30 years, I'll take in the Uists again, on 4Candles' and Weaver's persuasion. :)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2016, 10:00:07 AM »

Tired has some superb beaches and so many of them, and wonderful weather. But you are right, the Harris great beaches are simply stunning.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2016, 11:08:34 AM »

Only real annoyance is, why do Calmac (the ferry operators) have to insist on exact date of birth for all travelers when booking online?   
Apparently, that's because "It is now a requirement for us to collect the nationality and dates of birth of all passengers before arrival at the port. This is to comply with changes to immigration procedures"

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2016, 11:55:49 AM »

Apparently, that's because "It is now a requirement for us to collect the nationality and dates of birth of all passengers before arrival at the port. This is to comply with changes to immigration procedures"

Thanks for clarifying, I failed to find that myself. :)

I wonder if it also applies to people who just turn up without booking, and join the queue?  I'd be even more uncomfortable giving my date of birth to some random guy in the car park, even if I do (genuinely) respect Calmac and feel sure that all their employees are pillars of society. :-\

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2016, 01:21:24 PM »

Hardly a state secret is it?

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2016, 01:42:47 PM »

Hardly a state secret is it?

Agreed, and in fact I know of one other place my own DoB already appears in public domain, which concerns me too.     Trouble is, banks and utility companies seem to think that anybody who phones up, and knows my postcode and DoB, must be me.  That gives them a first step towards identity theft or other fraud.   Hence I'm always a little bit resentful about disclosing it when not essential.  You are right though, not a huge thing, and I'll get over it. :)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2016, 09:04:37 PM »

Mission accomplished.   :)

Got off to a dubious start, the crossing out from Ullapool was forecast to be very stormy, with  a warning it might be cancelled.   The crossing back to Skye was in doubt, as MV Hebrides had just crashed into a jetty and run aground.   Day one on on Lewis was beyond a joke, with torrential rain and 50mph winds. Forecast was for things to get worse, winds strengthening to 70mph and a bleak few days.   :o

But somebody up there was on my side.   The stormy crossing wasn't at all uncomfortable, MV Loch Seaforth being a modern and very stable vessel.   The passenger accommodation was great too, more akin to  good business class airline than an old fashioned ferry.  The 70mph winds never materialised, instead winds abated completely and the sun came out rendering glorious Indian Summer conditions. And just in time for our return, Calmac managed to reschedule MV Clansman to fill in for damaged MV Hebrides.

Harris & Lewis had not changed a lot since my last visit, 30 odd years ago.   The roads were a little busier, but also a little better.   You just kind of feel yourself moving down a gear, not just on the roads but psychologically.   Time somehow passes with better quality.  I am truly envious of those who live there.

I was worried about the 'new' visitor centre at Callanish Stones, mindful of the fate that has befallen Stonehenge, with its visitor centre that turns what used to be a one hour visit into a very expensive whole wasted day.   No need to worry, still no admission charge at Callanish and the visitor centre is entirely optional, though worth taking in as it has a great little cafe/tearoom. 

Skye also lived up to expectations, though everywhere seemed an awful lot busier, I guess that's the price paid for replacing the chain ferry with a bridge.  Still a wonderful place though, with incredible scenery around every bend in every road.

Only real disappointment, while I thoroughly liked the rest of Skye, was our night in Portree.   Quite badly overcrowded, most of the eateries were cramming people into sweaty little rooms with mediocre service, again I guess, a price paid for the bridge?   And at night, groups of youths roamed the streets til 1am, harmless enough, but with raised voices and shouting that made sleep impossible.   That may just be a reflection of modern pub opening hours but as well as being angry at loss of sleep, I found it rather sad, as it destroys my memories of a tranquil little hamlet.  And on a positive note I suppose it also infers a degree of prosperity as I assume the youths had money to spend in the bars, so maybe the bridge has brought some benefits too?

All in all, I thoroughly recommend. :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2016, 09:47:56 PM »

Glad that aside from a bad nights sleep in Portree that the holiday was an enjoyable one :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: [1] 2