Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Dreaded iPad battery drain problem  (Read 27809 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Dreaded iPad battery drain problem
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2016, 05:43:55 PM »

Anyone have a link to a good source for a genuine Apple iPad unit?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2016, 06:43:28 PM »

Mrs Weaver enlarged it. She couldn't see either.

The unit says
    Plug says 2.5A lic973 6076315 vole X
    10W

Should it read 12W?

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2016, 07:42:16 PM »

Some iPads have 10W chargers, some have 12W.  The original mini had just a 5W charger.

The link I posted earlier lists which is for which...

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202105

I'd be very surprised if using a 10W charger, where a 12W had been supplied, caused a problem other than taking up to *about 20% longer to charge.  Then again, I have been surprised in the past, and will undoubtably be surprised again.

*for separate debate,  Should I have said 'up to about 17%', ie 2/12 ? Having already consumed a beer, I can't make up my mind. :D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2016, 12:17:09 AM »

I got rid of the small white Apple box that the lightning cable was plugged into, and plugged the USB end of the lightning cable straight into a Belkin mains block which has USB sockets in it as well as three-pin mains sockets. For the moment, my battery drain problems seem to have gone away. Fingers crossed, firmly.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2016, 02:24:33 PM »

Just resurrecting this rather old thread, my iPhone battery drain problems are now all solved.
One was solved by fitting (eventually) a decent battery.
One was solved under warranty (bought used from a reasonably reputable supplier/repairer) and I actually have no idea how, but I have my suspicions (see below and think it through....).
The third was effectively "given up on" by the (fairly local to me but with a national presence) firm working on it and they refunded me what I'd paid to initially fit a new battery, after which it had got much worse and stayed that way after multiple further tests and battery swaps. I wasn't happy, especially when I happened (soon after) to see a random "watchdog-type" consumer program on the BBC which rather "named and shamed" this particular company for failing a significant number of customers!

So I spoke to the company that fixed #2 and sent #3 to them, paying £15 for a diagnostics service. As #2 and#3 had been giving almost identical symptoms I reckoned it was worth trying.
They diagnosed a faulty charger chip, costing £60 to replace less the diagnostic charge which would be deducted if I went ahead.
I did and all is well, battery life is the longest I've ever seen on an iPhone.  :yay:
Since I got it back I've only charged it twice, once on receipt and once just over 2 days ago.
Currently it's showing 49 hours of use (including standby) and 61% battery remaining. It could last for over 5 days!  :o

Not sure what lessons I've learned, but I have identified one iPhone repairer that do seem to know what they are doing, and one that doesn't.....  :graduate:

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2016, 10:22:37 PM »

Of interest HP can you be certain that your actual devices were repaired, rather than exchanged  for working versions?

I ask that because I had the impression, last time I discussed it in an Apple shop, it seemed likely that no matter what the complaint,  all they did was exchange for new/old stock, for a hefty price.

And also because I actually attempted a diy LCD repair on an early iPod touch.  It ended badly, didn't make it any worse, but didn't fix it either.   But the experience of dismantling a device that was never meant to be dismantled, such as the hair-thin moisture seal that disintegrated if breathed upon,  left me a little sceptical of the unnoficial iPhone/iPad etc repair industry.   :-[

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2016, 12:20:48 PM »

I'm pretty sure because of minor damage to the case and labels that stayed and retention of data/setup, though the internals could have been swapped and data copied over. IMEI etc. was of course unchanged.
The most recent repair there's even a small crack/chip to the screen edge (well outside the used area) that they quoted to repair - I declined.

This was an independent repairer, not an official/franchised Apple outlet/store.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 02:00:17 PM by HPsauce »

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2016, 02:01:57 PM »

It could last for over 5 days!  :o
In the end, because I was using it quite a bit yesterday I decided to recharge it just now. Down to about 10% after over 3 days (75 hours) which is not bad for a smartphone.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2016, 06:44:01 PM »

In the end, because I was using it quite a bit yesterday I decided to recharge it just now. Down to about 10% after over 3 days (75 hours) which is not bad for a smartphone.

Impressive indeed, my 5c which is still new by my standards (2 years old) has never been able to survive more than about 6-12 hours real use, or maybe a day and a half in standby.   :)

FWIW, my old iPad 2 seems to have settled into a state whereby battery drain in standby is truly negligible.  Can't remember exactly what I changed but I can go away for the weekend, leaving it at (say) 70% charge.  On return 3 or 4 days later, I press the home button, enter passcode, and it still shows 70%.   In use, it goes down as you would expect (a few hours would drain it) but in sleep, it seems pretty much unlimited. ???

As is well documented on these forums, iPad 2s are barely usable anymore, esp if they've been updated past iOS 7.  All the same I reckon, a barely usable device, that stays equally unusable for many days on a single charge, still deserves some kind of credit.   :D

Thanks also for feedback re repairer, it certainly sounds like you've got your real devices back - which is what I'd want.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2016, 10:21:48 PM »

I don't want to name the repair companies publicly, but if you need a recommendation PM me.
I've dealt with 3 different such companies in recent months, all are around the periphery of London and do business mainly by post.
(The very first one I dealt with I've not mentioned, they were reasonably OK for some simple fixes that if I'd bothered I could maybe have done myself)

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2016, 09:15:51 AM »

One was solved under warranty (bought used from a reasonably reputable supplier/repairer) and I actually have no idea how
This one is now used by SWMBO who keeps it in her bag and often forgets to charge it. Isn't used much but is "always on".
I asked her to check it last night and it was 25% charged having survived over 125 hours (>5 days  :o ) since the last charge.

Edit: Still at 21% this morning, so heading for 6 days. Will it last a whole week (168 hours)?  :-X
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 10:01:41 AM by HPsauce »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2016, 06:49:15 AM »

At the start of december, my iPad 5 just wouldn't charge at all unless I put it into sleep mode. It gave an error message to that effect, something about not charging, but I forget the exact text. Iirc, the machine would just about maintain its battery level, but barely so.

I solved the problem for good by having a massive cull of all known cables that were not real Apple ones. I had bought some from Amazon iirc and / or their ‘marketplace’ suppliers, and despite various lying assurances these cables were simply no good at all. I must have thrown away about four of them and I was ready to blame the iPad itself when I couldn't get it to charge despite swapping over cables to try several different ones, and this after some utterly useless non-advice from Apple that I needed to get the iPad repaired even though there was nothing at all wrong with it. Mrs Weaver had been desperate to get hold of some really long cables, much longer than those that Apple sell which I think are max 2 m. Dodgy cables had been something like £5 - £15 for a much longer cable than the Apple 2m ones for something like £30, and Apple's pricing offended Mrs Weaver, but we learned there is no point buying something cheap that simply doesn't work.

When I bought a couple of genuine cables direct from Apple all the problems instantly went away, and the first thing I noticed was that the genuine lightning connector is a proper snug fit, whereas the third party dodgy cables were all incredibly wobbly and loose - it had been possible to waggle them about in the socket through a fairly wide angle.

So a lesson learned, and a very expensive mistake narrowly avoided.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2016, 08:21:22 AM »

I had a similar problem with my Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition,  I purchased and installed a new battery, which was actually worse and I eventually refitted  the old battery and purchased a new lead from Ebay, it was specified as high power heavy duty, it was a gamble, but was relatively cheap and it's worked perfectly ever since. Well the battery/charging has but I've managed to stop two buttons working, not a major problem as there's ways around it,  bit more of a pain. Really must open it up again and see if I can fix them  :fingers:
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D
Pages: 1 2 [3]