Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How to stop Windows 10 updates  (Read 12544 times)

ejs

• Kitizen
Re: How to stop Windows 10 updates
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2016, 07:18:21 PM »

Rather than stopping the updates entirely, what about stopping the associated reboots?

These are the first likely looking things I found, I've not tested any of them:
http://www.ghacks.net/2016/09/20/disable-reboot-after-automatic-windows-updates/ (one of the comments mentions that you don't need a third party program to take ownership of a file)
http://tunecomp.net/disable-automatic-reboot-after-updates-installation-in-windows-10/ (has the same task scheduler method as the first, plus a group policy and a registry method)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2016, 07:58:02 PM »

Because its (mostly) a new PC.
I didnt have a spare Win7 licence so had to buy an OEM Win 10 Pro when I bought all the new parts.

My Win7 licence is on my previous PC (which died)...  which has now been cannibalised for a some parts for the new PC, and that win7 machine has been made up with parts from yet another cannibalised PC that was from an XP machine.  That only left me with a spare Vista licence...  which no way was I going to use. 

So this is a 'new' build with brand new o/s installed.   Hope that makes sense why I cant fall back. 

is fine was just curious :)

In win10 pro it used to be you could change the automated updates in the policy editor, you could set it to only notify but not install or download.

However with the anniversary build they silently made windows ignore the policy editor settings on pro.  So its no longer possible.  That was the point I wiped win10 of my test PC, as I lost all hope in the OS.

I expect tho microsoft will let you reuse the win7 licence if you rang with a activation request.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2016, 10:21:10 PM »

Attached below are my existing settings.
1) GPE settings - (3 - Auto-download and notify for install) - which is now over-ridden since the anniversary update.
2) Restart options

Rather than stopping the updates entirely, what about stopping the associated reboots?

This would be ideal, I dont want to stop the updates.  Just how it automatically reboots.  If you aren't at the PC at the time to see the warning its tough luck :(

---

Outside active hours is also pretty useless as I run my backups overnight,   I have separate backups which all start at various times.  I do not want it rebooting itself overnight.
My backup plan is here.  Only difference is that I now use macrium rather than windows backup.

Yep it may seem like overkill, but when I had 2 identical drives fail in June this year I'm glad I did have otherwise all the site stuff would be gone now.
Just 2 days ago I would have lost a lot of code if I didnt have a backup, backup.  Admittedly that was my fault for uploading and overwriting a wrong file. :/

plus to a lesser extent,  there's stuff like DSLstats which will end up closing without doing a graceful shutdown so doesn't do screen caps etc.

Its also possibly the way I work, say if I'm doing some coding or looking at the site late at night.  Quite often I will get tired and just abandon things ie not want to shut down anything open or Ive also been known to leave posts half finished.

-----

I note that some of the suggestions are setting active hours or the now defunct Group Policy Edit. 
These are my logs which show what happened last night and how it shut down by itself when I wasnt around.

Code: [Select]
27/10/2016 21:34:43
Windows Update started downloading an update.
27/10/2016 21:34:44
The access history in hive \??\C:\WINDOWS\System32\SMI\Store\Machine\SCHEMA.DAT was cleared updating 1 keys and creating 1 modified pages.
27/10/2016 21:34:45
The start type of the Windows Modules Installer service was changed from auto start to demand start.
27/10/2016 21:34:51
The start type of the Windows Modules Installer service was changed from demand start to auto start.
27/10/2016 21:36:24
The start type of the Windows Modules Installer service was changed from auto start to demand start.
27/10/2016 21:36:46
The start type of the Windows Modules Installer service was changed from demand start to auto start.
27/10/2016 21:36:47
27/10/2016 22:01:57
27/10/2016 22:02:01
Installation Started: Windows has started installing the following update: Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3197954)
27/10/2016 22:03:08
Installation Started: Windows has started installing the following update: Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1607 (for x64-based Systems) (KB3201860)
27/10/2016 22:03:10
Installation Successful: Windows successfully installed the following update: Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1607 (for x64-based Systems) (KB3201860)
27/10/2016 22:03:10
Installation Started: Windows has started installing the following update: Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3199986)
27/10/2016 22:03:12
Installation Successful: Windows successfully installed the following update: Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3199986)
27/10/2016 22:34:00
The start type of the Background Intelligent Transfer Service service was changed from demand start to auto start.
27/10/2016 22:36:02
The start type of the Background Intelligent Transfer Service service was changed from auto start to demand start.
27/10/2016 23:14:13
The process C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe (SI7) has initiated the restart of computer SI7 on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: Operating System: Service pack (Planned)
 Reason Code: 0x80020010
 Shutdown Type: restart
 Comment:
27/10/2016 23:14:28
User Logoff Notification for Customer Experience Improvement Program
27/10/2016 23:15:52
DHCPv6 client service is stopped. ShutDown Flag value is 1
27/10/2016 23:15:53
The Event log service was stopped.
27/10/2016 23:15:57
The kernel power manager has initiated a shutdown transition.
27/10/2016 23:15:58
The operating system is shutting down at system time ‎2016‎-‎10‎-‎27T22:15:58.408023100Z.
27/10/2016 23:16:09
The operating system started at system time ‎2016‎-‎10‎-‎27T22:16:09.497775500Z.
27/10/2016 23:16:17
Microsoft (R) Windows (R) 10.00. 14393  Multiprocessor Free.
The Event log service was started.
The system uptime is 8 seconds.

All I want really is to be able to control updates like I used to be able to and reboot when I want... not when windows thinks it will.   Judging by the amount of complaints on the MS site Im far from alone.

Its looking like How to disable auto matic reboot after the installation of updates using the Registry editor from ejs link may be the only viable option.. which will be the next thing I try. 
It does seem rather stupid that there's no way of controlling a shutdown.  The current update system is obviously not designed with people who use their PCs for work related activities outside 9-5...  nor those which may actually be doing something useful all the time and there is no such thing as Inactive hours.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 01:06:22 AM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2016, 10:28:18 PM »

Odd, I still have the option.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2016, 10:39:21 PM »

is fine was just curious :)

Didnt mean for it to come across funny, was just trying to explain why I was fully on win10

In win10 pro it used to be you could change the automated updates in the policy editor, you could set it to only notify but not install or download.

However with the anniversary build they silently made windows ignore the policy editor settings on pro.  So its no longer possible.  That was the point I wiped win10 of my test PC, as I lost all hope in the OS.

I was OK with until then.  :(

I expect tho microsoft will let you reuse the win7 licence if you rang with a activation request.

I think I must be struggling to explain what I did.   :(

My PC (Win7) mostly died.  2 failed HDDs and graphics card within a week.   It was 4 y/o and on 24/7 its a workhorse and was my only PC. 
All the site related stuff is done on here and believe it or not, theres a lot of site related work.
I'd already had to replace some other parts such as SSD, NIC, DVDRW etc, so I was beginning to get worried about its reliability.

So several months ago I got new mobo, CPU, memory and 3 new drives and an OEM Win10.
Took some things out of the old Win7 machine ie DVD-RW etc and made a brand new one.

Then using a really old XP machine I merged with what was left of the Win7 to build another PC using the Win7 licence.   That PC is in another room atm to be used as a backup device... although someone is wanting it as her PC is about 5-6 y/o and on its last legs and Ive semi promised it to her once I've wiped the drive.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2016, 10:40:34 PM »

Odd, I still have the option.

Curious.   Did you ever do the GPE hack that worked up until the anniversary update?
-----

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2016, 10:47:06 PM »

Ok, its todays updates that kills it. The screenshot was whilst updates were pending restart. Just restarted and option has gone.  :no:
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 10:51:01 PM by licquorice »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2016, 10:54:29 PM »

kitz check my PM if you interested in ditching win10, and yes I misunderstood what you said sorry, as the win7 license is still been used.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2016, 11:09:52 PM »

@chrys.

Thanks for the PM, I must have been responding as you typed the above. :)

Ok, its todays updates that kills it.

Interesting..  Im sure I had seen it before and attempted to play with the settings because I recall it wouldnt let me set inactive hours for less than 12 or something stupid like that.
I wonder if it was the update on the 27th that killed it for me. 

I did happen to notice in the logs "Modules Installer service was changed from demand start to auto start" and wondered what that was all about.  ???

-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2016, 11:24:29 PM »

That was some big update last night. - KB3197954.
I very quickly scanned the files which were updated on the doc and judging from the final figure there was 3,197,954 of them to be installed.

There's a summary here - a couple mention 'improvements' to Windows update.  ie
Improved support for IT administrators using Group Policy to block users updating the operating system from Windows Update.
although how that affects us, Ive no idea.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 01:11:54 PM by kitz »
-----

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2016, 09:40:11 AM »

I have windows 10 on a Dell Optiplex 7010.  The single oem licence on that has allowed me to install and use windows xp, windows  7 and two separate windows 10 systems.  It is thus currently a quadruple boot system. One of the 10 systems is only there to test updates!! The only restriction which is not to do with the licence is that xp must on separate disk and not just a separate  partition. 

As far as I can tell the group policy has continued to work but did need reapplying after the anniversary update which left the update policy set as disabled i.e. no policy.  If I don't apply the group policy it does at least always offer the setting of a reboot time and never reboots itself.

The update KB3197954 is not installed and trying it manually gives the message "not applicable to this system".  I am sure this won't help people but may help explain why not everyone finds the same thing.  I assume the DELL Optiplex oem licences are not standard apart from only working on the assigned DELL systems.

The Optiplex's are not high performance but robust quiet and for me almost too reliable machines.  By too reliable I mean that even the oldest, now 12 year old one used as a spare XP just won't die. I hate binning anything that still works!  They are only sold on the business side of the DELL web site. My 7010 cost about £100 on ebay when only about 18 months old.

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2016, 01:09:11 PM »

Could be worth a go to stop windows going to sleep :fingers:
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/prevent-windows-computer-sleep-mouse-jiggler
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2016, 01:18:47 PM »

:D Brilliant idea.  :D

Wonder if it stops my monitors shutting off, I guess it will but I shall give it a go.

----
Anyway I dont know what Ive done, but Ive done something - Possibly WUMT which is running.
When I came to the PC this morning it said there was an update that had been downloaded and needed installing.
The 'update' wasnt a Windows Update, but a Windows Defender update.
-----

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2016, 01:34:50 PM »

Hi kitz

I'm thinking it's the little program you installed from my post possible, unless you uninstalled it sorry

Many thanks

John

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2016, 09:54:55 PM »

@d2d4j  Yes that prog (WUMT as it calls itself) was running,  I think it may be that as well, so thank you.  :)

Anyway I dont know what Ive done, but Ive done something - Possibly WUMT which is running.

It hasnt yet had to deal with a proper Windows Update, but I think it must also treat Windows Defender updates in the same way, because a notification on my screen this morning that there was an update ready to install.   The notification was in my notification tray.. not a popup.
-----
Pages: 1 [2]