Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How to stop Windows 10 updates  (Read 12541 times)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
How to stop Windows 10 updates
« on: August 14, 2016, 10:29:38 PM »

Something occurred to me today,  and that is that W10 will not download updates on a metered connection, instead giving you a download button to choose when to download, don't think you can choose what to download though.

You can't set a wired connection as metered,  but there is a hack.

Setting a connection as metered may affect other things.

http://www.howtogeek.com/226722/how-when-and-why-to-set-a-connection-as-metered-on-windows-10/
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: How to stop Windows 10 updates
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 12:18:00 PM »

I noticed when I did the update it had me do all the other updates too before it would setup the anniversary update. So if the small ones can be stopped then it probably wont attempt the big update.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 12:13:51 AM »

You can't set a wired connection as metered,  but there is a hack.

Bit of a performance messing in the registry for those people using a PC from home on an ISP with caps.

http://www.howtogeek.com/262477/how-to-set-an-ethernet-connection-as-metered-in-windows-8-and-10/

Bad foresight from Microsoft :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 01:08:11 AM »

Group Policy to manage updates worked on pro until the AU update, now is silently blocked.

The educational version is fully unlocked like enterprise, get one of those and it runs like windows legacy, no forced updates, no os reinstalls and full policy editor control, as a bonus you also get applocker and unlocked access to network tuning (nagle algorithm etc).

Set-NetTCPSetting  -  this can be used to view TCP parameters
Get-NetTCPSetting  -  this can be used to set TCP parameters

The Get command is locked on consumer windows. :(

Been honest my win10 testing rig has now been moved to another role since 2 days ago, I consider win10 a lost cause currently, and cannot see myself using it for several years at least.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 01:10:49 AM by Chrysalis »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 11:46:14 PM »

Referring to that useful tip
    http://www.howtogeek.com/262477/how-to-set-an-ethernet-connection-as-metered-in-windows-8-and-10/

Does anyone know how to set the permissions on the registry key back to something safer, as that article would have you leaving the key as writable, when I believe it had read-only status before. (Mind you, a malicious app running as an administrator could of course simply take ownership on it to gain access anyway. So of course, simply don't ever log on as an admin. I don't.)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 11:27:28 AM »

Has anyone come across a better solution to this than the registry hack to set as a metered connection.

Twice now Ive lost stuff because of this.   You can walk away from the machine for a couple of hours and windows decides your PC is inactive and therefore its a good time to reboot.   Tough if youre not there to see the warning that its about to reboot. 

I dont mind it downloading the updates.  I just want to stop it from doing a reboot until I say its ok to do so and at a time more convenient to me. 
It really is annoying because last night I lost work on some open docs (lots of code) and a load of reference windows that I had open were also lost in addition to all my notes I'd been making in notepad - all gone.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 11:44:33 AM »

In the Windows Update settings, you can change the "Active Hours" setting so it won't reboot during active hours

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 11:44:51 AM »

Hi kitz

I'm sure on the last 2 win10 PC you were able to set restart to ask and not auto. However I could be wrong sorry

Here is a little program which may help, but I have not tried it. However, it looks as though it will do what you want

I hope it helps

Many thanks

John

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/Windows-Update-MiniTool.shtml

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2016, 01:10:13 PM »

I think it lets you defer upgrades, but I cant see any settings which allow you to install them/reboot at the time you want.   If you are at the pc when it downloads, it will give you a warning that it will reboot at 'x' time, but if you happen to miss that notification then it goes ahead and does it.
So for example at 11.30pm it may say something like scheduled reboot to install updates at 3am.

I may have missed a setting so if someone knows where it is, please let me know.   I tried researching it quite extensively a few months ago and at that time there wasnt a solution other than ronski's suggestion of hacking the registry for users using ethernet.    I suppose all I really want is to be able to do what I could before and thats let it download, it tell me its downloaded, and then I can install at a time when convenient to me.

Here is a little program which may help,
Thank you, Ive downloaded it and see how it goes.   Already its picked up an AV check that would have auto installed tonight, and Ive manually installed.   However that said AV updates dont normally cause a reboot.   I shall continue to try it out and see what happens on a full Windows update.  :)

-----

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 01:17:40 PM »

Do you have Win 10 Home or do you have a Professional, Enterprise, or Education edition of Windows 10?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2016, 06:26:57 PM »

Has anyone come across a better solution to this than the registry hack to set as a metered connection.

Twice now Ive lost stuff because of this.   You can walk away from the machine for a couple of hours and windows decides your PC is inactive and therefore its a good time to reboot.   Tough if youre not there to see the warning that its about to reboot. 

I dont mind it downloading the updates.  I just want to stop it from doing a reboot until I say its ok to do so and at a time more convenient to me. 
It really is annoying because last night I lost work on some open docs (lots of code) and a load of reference windows that I had open were also lost in addition to all my notes I'd been making in notepad - all gone.

kitz can I ask why you persist with win10 and dont fall back to win8 or 7?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2016, 06:28:58 PM »

Because its (mostly) a new PC.
I didnt have a spare Win7 licence so had to buy an OEM Win 10 Pro when I bought all the new parts.

My Win7 licence is on my previous PC (which died)...  which has now been cannibalised for a some parts for the new PC, and that win7 machine has been made up with parts from yet another cannibalised PC that was from an XP machine.  That only left me with a spare Vista licence...  which no way was I going to use. 

So this is a 'new' build with brand new o/s installed.   Hope that makes sense why I cant fall back. 
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 06:46:17 PM by kitz »
-----

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2016, 06:42:25 PM »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2016, 06:52:41 PM »

Unfortunately not - That info is outdated.    MS has now removed the ability to change it via Group Policy in Win10 Pro :(
iirc when they ditched that hack, this was when Chrys jacked W10 in and rolled back.

As regards to the metered network trick
It only works with a Wi-Fi network. Ethernet need not apply.

See the comments section by people saying it dont work on Win 10 Pro any more :(

---
ETA... yes it was

"Group Policy to manage updates worked on pro until the AU update, now is silently blocked." - see Chrys's comment above.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 06:58:06 PM by kitz »
-----

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2016, 07:04:58 PM »

Sorry, I don't know what "silently blocked" means as I can set it up successfully for Sunday 3.00 am
Pages: [1] 2

anything