Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: IP Profile intervals - have they changed?  (Read 4279 times)

Cliff_G

IP Profile intervals - have they changed?
« on: August 13, 2016, 01:55:14 PM »

Anyone know why I have different profile speeds to the Kitz table?

When necessary my sync/profile monitoring used to match with the IP Profile table at http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm  so say a sync of between 2272 kbps and 2816 kbps would get me a profile of 2000 kbps (ADSL1 / Max).

During recent problems I have started monitoring again and today I have a sync of 3655 kbps and a Profile of 3.22 Mbps (3297 kbps).  Additionally, this was from a router re-start after a slower sync (ca 2600 iirc) which gave me a profile of 2.38 Mbps, and much to my surprise the profile lift from 2.38 to 3.22 (+35%) occurred within minutes of my router restart, instead of the table per that same page which would suggest up to 24 hours.

Additionally, since last Xmas or so my upstream sync speed has been of the order of 910 kbps whereas before it was around the 400 mark.

I am hooked up to NSDMK. Sam Knows says ADSL Max and some FTTC - we are an EO line so still on ADSL Max .... or are we? Definitely not FTTC (sore point) but is there some technology improvement.change I am not aware of?

Anyone know why I have different profile speeds to the Kitz table?

TIA

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
Re: IP Profile intervals - have they changed?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 02:21:27 PM »

Your exchange has been upgraded to ADSL2+,(it is listed as ADSL2+ in this BT Wholesale document https://www.btwholesale.com/assets/documents/Network_Information/WBC_Dataset_01082016.xlsx)

Sam DOES NOT Know.

Ian

Cliff_G

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 09:01:10 PM »

Hmmm. Thanks. 

It appears this isn't common information - also get same for http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/broadbandchecker.php  "21CN WBC (ADSL2+)    Not available"

Anyway, that makes sense though.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 09:42:20 PM »

Same here. Kitz's checker, like other databases, doesn't know that the Broadford exchange was upgraded to 21CN / ADSL 2+ last December. I notified thinkbroadband who updated their database for me just recently, but that's perhaps the only one that is up to date.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2016, 10:51:45 PM »

The Kitz Broadband Exchange & Line Checker makes use of a number of separate databases, including those of BT Wholesale and SamKnows --

Note : This test checks various databases for results and whilst every attempt has been made to ensure its accuracy, we cannot guarantee that they are correct. It is recommended that you also check availability with the individual service providers.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Cliff_G

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 01:04:06 AM »

Agreed.  And I imagine the maintenance of these databases is quite a challenge.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 08:15:54 AM »

The exchange status data comes from the BT Wholesale database.    Therefore its likely that most checkers will give the same info.

like other databases, doesn't know that the Broadford exchange was upgraded to 21CN / ADSL 2+ last December.
Additionally, since last Xmas or so

Hmmm looks like BTw have perhaps missed updating something from Dec?   I'll try contact someone about it.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2016, 09:09:35 AM »

There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the BTWholesale Broadband Availability Checker database. It gives an ADSL2+ speed of 17Mb for a phone number in Broadford found on Google Maps. It's SamKnows that's out of date. NSDMK (Drumoak) was upgraded to WBC / 21CN ADSL2+ in August 2015. Again, for NSDMK, the kitz page does give an ADSL2+ speed estimate from the BTW checker, which is up to date.

Cliff_G

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2016, 07:11:00 PM »

for NSDMK, the kitz page does give an ADSL2+ speed estimate from the BTW checker, which is up to date.

:) maybe if you put the same postcode in as the exchange, but when you're more than 4.5 km from the exchange, the difference between ADSLMAx and ADSL2+ is negligible  :( , which is why I didn't notice we had been upgraded other than belatedly noticing the improved upstream speed and the "odd" profile intervals.  With no improvement at our distance on ADSL2+, I've only had a decent speed improvement from a BT MkIII NTE5 box than any other change I've tried on my line.

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2016, 08:31:48 PM »

Try just ADSL2 (without the +) if your router/modem has this as an option; this is sometimes better for longer lines.

What modem/router are you using?

Ian

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2016, 08:38:56 PM »

ADSL2 without the plus is what I'm doing. Thanks to Burakkucat for the tip. I haven't managed to get reliable comparison figures yet. (DLM doesn't make it easy, unless you're very careful and take a lot of time. See my earlier rather tiresome suggestion at http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=15905.0) But it certainly can't hurt, as long as your line is long enough.

Cliff_G

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2016, 10:18:28 PM »

Try just ADSL2 (without the +) if your router/modem has this as an option; this is sometimes better for longer lines.

What modem/router are you using?

Ian

ISP Plusnet / Technocolor TG582n

Can't easily find an ADSL 2/+ option in the set-up and I don't really want to mess with the Config Wizard

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2016, 11:58:12 PM »

As I don't know the configuration options for that device, I wonder if the ITU-T "G" nomenclature has been used?  :-\

G.992.1 -- G.Dmt
G.992.3 -- ADSL2
G.992.5 -- ADSL2+
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Cliff_G

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2016, 11:14:29 AM »

As I don't know the configuration options for that device, I wonder if the ITU-T "G" nomenclature has been used?  :-\

G.992.1 -- G.Dmt
G.992.3 -- ADSL2
G.992.5 -- ADSL2+

Found that:  "ITU-T G.992.5"

So I can try that in due course but you'll see from my other thread hereabouts that there are other problems I am currently dealing with, so will have to pick my moment to start fiddling with my router....

Thanks though.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2016, 03:38:51 PM »

You have to use telnet to change the DSL mode on the 582n.

First display the current setting:
Code: [Select]
:xdsl debug multimode
Then if you want to try ADSL2 instead of ADSL2+:
:xdsl debug multimode config=t1.413issue2+g992.1_annex_a+g992.3_annex_a
And finally to save the change:
:saveall
I think for the newest ADSL2+ exchanges, manually configuring your modem for ADSL2 on a long line doesn't make as much difference (if any) as it does on the oldest ADSL2+ exchanges (and the other exchanges automatically negotiate it to ADSL2 when appropriate anyway).

anything