Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Moving to uno (xilo)  (Read 6269 times)

les-70

• Kitizen
Moving to uno (xilo)
« on: August 13, 2016, 09:38:27 AM »

I have just  initiated a move from TTB FTTC to uno.  I am moving both phone line and FTTC to them with both on the Openreach system.  The order was easy to place and they are very very responsive provided you really do reply to emails in plain text.  Anything other than plain text seems to be junked by their system.

Allowing for the charges for moving from TTB MPF back to an Openreach MPF phone line and then having to start the FTTC up again from scratch the overall costs will break even compared with TBB after a year.  The actual monthly cost is more than £10/month less than TTB and it looks very good value.

Connection wise I suspect that I may only gain the benefit of going from either stable or standard FTTC profile with TTB to fast profile with uno.  That should allow me to run without a speed cap and stay on fast path.  The CAB is ECI and had G.INP still been there I might have stayed with TTB out of laziness.

Service wise my impression is that should anything go wrong the response will be better and quicker than with TBB.

I will report in the coming weeks on how things go.

Is anyone else here with uno?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Moving to uno (xilo)
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 10:25:46 AM »

Hope it all goes well for you.

iirc your line does suffer from frequent errors so the stability profile of speed should as you say alleviate some of the worries of DLM interleaving your line.   In theory because its a product change, then you should start with a clean sheet again... so even if you do have a bad day, it should relent again much sooner than if on standard.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 01:19:08 PM »

Does the TTB FTTC connection require an engineer install?

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 02:19:11 PM »

I am not moving to a uno supplied TTB FTTC backhaul connection so I don't know.  TTB themselves do give an engineer install.  Uno do suppy TTB FTTC for unlimited use but also have cheaper 100Gb peak Openreach backhaul based FTTC.  50Gb/month would be unlimited for my use.

An engineer is needed for my escape from my existing TTB phone line and backhaul and then with the phone line taken over a fresh provision of the new FTTC is needed.  I don't think uno's new install involves an engineer visit to your home/premises, but I have not checked on that as I don't think I need one

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 04:35:14 PM »

Well migration occurred very smoothly with only 5 mins down time.  The new BT wholesale connection seems much more responsive than the old TTB one and if I kept away from BQM and speed tests I would probably be much happier.  As it is seems that the BT network sections that I am using may be seeing congestion and is otherwise somewhat odd.  The odd bit is that the base ping in day when all is great and there no congestion jumps up and down several times a day for odd hours between stable values of e.g 12 and 16ms to TBB BQM. Is this normal?

The ping is still a bit better than TTB and speed tests,especially single thread, run better.  However the evening saw mean pings double and speed test down by 20-40% from day time values.  Altogether worse than TTB where evening was always the same as daytime.

Uno agree that looks like congestion and request speed tests to get BT wholesale to respond.  BT wholesale apparently ignore pings.

So it is just one day and I am fairly pleased but with fears about BT Wholesale being worse than TTB backhaul proving true.   I will update next week with a longer assessment.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 06:22:18 PM »

les did they already confirm with you then that they use the speed profile on FTTC?

I used them for a short time after ukonline closed, was professional in communications and they had a nice web interface, I ended up dropping the line due to my line reverting back unstable mode after the loss of SRA, was not their fault.

Also do you have a tbb graph that you ok to share? thanks.

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 06:37:59 PM »

It is the speed profile - specifically stated and they do seem very competent..  I will post bqm later on when my initial crazy use has vanished off the trace - that section might confuse people.

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2016, 07:36:23 AM »

Here is the 24 hour BQM.  I stopped using the conection at the time of the last speed test around 9pm when all was OK.  The raised ping has been around 10pm each time. This is generally after when I use the connection.

I would like to know if the small jumps up and down in ping are normal on the BT network, they never happened with TTB.

I have also added a recent TTB BQM on day with just normal browsing and no large download.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 09:41:45 AM by les-70 »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2016, 05:33:05 PM »

ok thanks.

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2016, 07:53:38 PM »

I would like to know if the small jumps up and down in ping are normal on the BT network

No they are not normal

I presume that no resyncs are happening at the time the ping changes?

The only time I see steps like that is during, what I presume is, maintenance overnight.

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2016, 09:12:42 PM »

Thanks for that advice.  Being concerned about jumps up and  drown in ping times I powered down for a couple hours today. So far, after 5 hours since reconnecting, the base ping time has been stable. If it stays that way I will assume that it was an oddity of the initial connection after the re-installation.

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2016, 08:10:15 AM »

Out of curiosity why did you move from TalkTalk Business to Xilo? Was it purely to do with the fact that TTB are conservative with their FTTC profile? Personally, I can't ever imagine going back to a BT Wholesale xDSL service having been with TalkTalk Business since 2010 on both ADSL2+ & VDSL2 and being very impressed with their network. I may take out a second FTTC line though, on Vodafone Business for redundancy purposes (my exchange has C&W LLU).

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2016, 10:44:46 AM »

TTB have been fairly good for me of late but they are not totally innocent, I suffered two periods of packet loss with them.  The packet loss was bad enough to cause web time outs and render iplayer useless.  Pings seem to hold up with TTB but my impression is that traffic is managed by limiting single thread downloads.  I have never got above 2/3 of multi-thread speed with them and it has often been about 1/3.  The profile issue has been a pain for me as on TTB, as without a speed cap my connection is marginal for fast/interleaving on their profile.
   So far with uno I must say that if I was just using the internet and doing the odd speed test then things are noticeable better with downloads higher for the same sync.  The improvement to browsing speed is quite noticeable.

Performance aside, for what I need uno is also about £10 a month cheaper and the support is amazing compared with TTB. 
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 11:08:12 AM by les-70 »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2016, 11:46:41 AM »

les when I was on BT retail my tbb graph used to have a noticeable yellow line, which was jitter caused by route changes happening very frequently, my connection seemed routed over some kind of round robin cluster of routers which did not have equal latency to each other.  However the graph did not have a variable min latency (green). That graph you posted suggests some kind of route flapping going on, either within uno or BT's network.  The reconnection could simply have connected you to a different router which wasnt flapping.

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2016, 04:26:31 PM »

@Chrysalis - yes something must have been flapping about.  A power down for an hour yesterday seems to have got rid of it and judging by the feel of browsing and speed tests all seems better than TTB in spite of the extra tendency for more yellow grass.  If things stay much the same I will be very pleased.
Pages: [1] 2

anything