Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Which internet connection will you choose in 2017?  (Read 9670 times)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Which internet connection will you choose in 2017?
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2016, 07:40:58 AM »

If I actually got 80/20 then that would be fast enough, but with an upload that's down to 4.4 Mbps it could soon start becoming a problem if it drops much more, although if I  sacrifice some downstream speed and switch to the HG612 I would regain some upload.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2016, 10:17:11 AM »

Like many I have no particular desire for faster speeds.

But like it or not, the way we do things are changing.   Ten years (or was it 20) ago if you wanted to rent a film, you got it from Blockbusters.   Nowadays, you get it from the likes of Netflix, and you'll need a fast connection to see it at its best.   So, just to maintain the ablity to do what we did many years before, we 'need' VDSL as a minimum.

Time was, if I wanted to install a new OS on my computer I'd buy or be given the physical installation media.  Much more common now is the assumption you can download several gigabits of data and either install directly or burn your own media.  That can be painfully slow over a slow connection.  Again, just to do what I used to do, I now 'need' fast internet.

Many more examples, I am sure.  And no doubt, the trend will continue, so I have no doubt we will always find that we have a 'need' for faster and faster speeds as the evolution continues.

Ps: in answer to the question, I'd be 3 as its my only option.

Oldjim

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2016, 11:20:48 AM »

According to my Samknows results Netflix pulls a steady 15.6Mb/s which I assume is their highest bandwidth
Jim
Plusnet

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2016, 11:52:07 AM »

According to my Samknows results Netflix pulls a steady 15.6Mb/s which I assume is their highest bandwidth

Which is why I 'need' VDSL, I only got about 3-4 Mbps on ADSL.  :)

Netflix actually claim 5 Mbps is adequate for high def., though I am Sceptical, I think much more.   

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/306

They claim 25 Mbps for ultra high def which I haven't yet put to the test by subscribing to UHD as there is nothing that I want to watch available, though there's a few 4k demonstrations on YouTube that play fine over my just under 30-ish VDSL.  And by golly 4k looks amazing, something I shall definitely 'need' if/when desireable content becomes available! :blush:

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2016, 01:58:19 PM »

Which is why I 'need' VDSL, I only got about 3-4 Mbps on ADSL.  :)

Netflix actually claim 5 Mbps is adequate for high def., though I am Sceptical, I think much more.   

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/306

They claim 25 Mbps for ultra high def which I haven't yet put to the test by subscribing to UHD as there is nothing that I want to watch available, though there's a few 4k demonstrations on YouTube that play fine over my just under 30-ish VDSL.  And by golly 4k looks amazing, something I shall definitely 'need' if/when desireable content becomes available! :blush:

Seen as I'm the OP... i've never used netflix or any other video streaming service. Don't they use buffering technology? I remember when I have watched videos over youtube many years ago (could have been on dialup.. or adsl).. I would let the video buffer download before I started watching it.. if it buffered to 20 or 30% before I started watching I knew as I was watching that 20-30% allows for the slow continued downloading of the video.

If these companies don't use buffering then I'd imagine that its something to do with them not wanting the video stored anywhere on the end users platform.

On the topic..

I think the better connections need to improve pings. That would be the final line improvements for me. Also routing needs to improve as well. But that's probably outside of one ISP's control.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2016, 02:54:30 PM »

Yes they do use buffering, but who wants to wait for 20 to 30% of a film to download before watching. Some devices will even download content that they think you may want to watch, a sort of predictictive downloading.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2016, 03:04:01 PM »

> Netflix actually claim 5 Mbps is adequate for high def., though I am Sceptical, I think much more.

I can confirm that that's about right for Netflix. I can access a high quality stream with my ~6.3 Mbps d/s pipe (made up out of three ADSL2 modems). I was using their iOS client app. I never ever have any quality problems at that speed. Mind you, if my wife were to start doing something greedy at the same time, then that would be another matter. Need more modems to cater for that case. Might even be able to get away with five or six.

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2016, 03:05:27 PM »

Back when I was a teenager I used to open 20 tabs and fully buffer dailymotion videos because I only had 3mbit/s and they used to turn the router off at like 10pm.

Now I watch 4K Netflix whenever I want, well when i'm not at work :(

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2016, 03:22:25 PM »

Likely option 2 (they are rolling out in neighbouring town/village, so chance they may come here), then option 1 but only if it is FTTP... G.fast is going to be too limited in scope in my opinion, and HFC (Hybrid Fibre Coaxial) has much more potential, just today they showed off a new reference chip design that could in the end give 10Gbps symmetrical connections.

Unless you are a business with high-demands on your connection ....... you may as well have a Ferrari on your drive, but with the keys to a Fiat Punto ........... there is no call for residential speeds of this ilk, even 1Meg symmetrical is vast over-kill.

As always ...... there will be a price to pay for this ridiculous amount of bandwidth ........ and so just for reference purposes, I'm a No.3 !!  ;) ;D

forceware

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2016, 03:53:48 PM »

For me it option 3 whilst praying for the fttp part of option 1. Not for the large speeds it offers as 20 down 20 up would suffice. But for the stability, no DLM, no more looking at es levels in the hope of staying on fast path only to see on the weather a thunderstorm is due. Jitter and packet loss down to minimum. Also no more blaming my connection when I play badly!

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2016, 03:57:11 PM »

The downside to all that super-technology ...... no more forums like Kitz ........... what a boring world it would be.  ;) :)

forceware

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2016, 04:04:52 PM »

Too true BS. I must admit I have a secret addiction to learning about broadband faults and technology.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2016, 04:54:51 PM »

Meaning no offence to forums, especially Kitz and similar (I obviously enjoy them too) I do sometimes long for the old days, without all this 'stuff' to distract me.

Today has been  frittered away completely, iPad in my hand browsing Kitz and other forums, news, other things that interest me, just jumping from topic to random topic as ideas occur, becoming an armchair expert in things I'll never need and will have forgotten by tomorrow.   

And it's a lovely late summer sunny day, might not be much of summer left, what a waste.   :(

Maybe we need another option...  ' just Get rid of my Internet connection'  :D

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2016, 04:55:58 PM »

When I was testing QoS on my router, one of the tests was to start a netflix movie, the test was at 3mbit/sec not 5, but the experience was painful to say the least.  I would say based on what I see in dumeter when using netflix, that 15mbit is the ideal minimum for HD. But 8-10mbit would be workable albeit with 15+sec delay at start.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2016, 04:59:46 PM »

^^^^^^ Yup, I concur 7LM ............ if you are able-bodied and spend all your waking hours glued to internet-based technologies, then that is a life wasted IMHO.

It has its place, that's for sure .......... but as with all things ......... in moderation. Go for a walk, sup a few beers, chat with real people, sup a few more ....... then when nothing left to do, get the i-Pad out.  ;) ;D ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3