Computers & Hardware > Apple Related

Best way to unlock an overseas iPhone?

(1/2) > >>

gt94sss2:
Does anyone have any experience in the best way to arrange for an overseas iPhone to be unlocked so that it can be used in the UK?

I have an old iPhone 5S that I used to use in Japan and thus it is carrier locked to SoftBank..

HPsauce:
That will probably be difficult, you need the network provider (SoftBank) to authorise it to be unlocked via Apples servers, usually by a request from the account holder who acquired it. Whether they will do this at all will depend on what policies they have and the law in Japan.

We've recently acquired (from family members) a couple of similar models locked to Vodafone, they had to go via their Vodafone accounts to request unlocking.
In one case they had already moved their mobile contract to another supplier, fortunately the Vodafone account was still in existence so it was doable. Vodafone unlock for free after a certain age of device/contract.

gt94sss2:
I am/was the account holder. Unfortunately, Japanese carriers are only required to unlock phones sold since May 15 and my phone predates this.

Also, Japan is very 'traditional' in many ways so even if I was entitled too, I would need to attend a store personally in Japan which isn't an option.

However, I understand some firms have 3rd party access to Apple's servers who can arrange for phones in this circumstances...

HPsauce:
Best of luck then, but I doubt it.  :-X

psychopomp1:
Apparently this US based company can, charging $80 and taking 5-21 days. Its looks legit but i would pay by credit card just to be on the safe side (S75 protection).

http://www.unlockmyphone.io/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version