Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: BTW "enhanced care" fault repair service  (Read 9369 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
BTW "enhanced care" fault repair service
« on: August 05, 2016, 07:19:04 AM »

Does anyone have any experience with BTW "enhanced care"? (Or whatever it's called - BTOR's priority fault repair service.) Tis resold by umpteen ISPs.
See, for example:
    http://aa.net.uk/broadband-care.html

I wonder if it can really save your bacon in the event of some minor or major disaster.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
Re: BTW "enhanced care" fault repair service
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 04:24:06 PM »

Perhaps I'm the only one daft enough to pay £12 per month per line for it. (+ VAT?)

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 04:52:16 PM »

We have it on a few of our lines, think it's a 4 hour SLA (we've never actually had to use it!)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 05:31:09 PM »

Would they really come out that quick ? Who's your ISP, btw ?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 06:37:44 PM »

I've no idea what the ISP's various 'Enhanced care' products are called/classed, but we have to react to what OR class a 'Total Care' product within 4hrs ......... and do. The compensation costs are astronomic.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 07:17:58 PM »

£12pm per line? Wow?

Here's the Openreach price list for various care levels, though all annual prices. Not sure what each one means though...
https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/pricing/loadProductPriceDetails.do?data=o1GUUZA4oSGmoXU5lc%2BgZQD265It6W32TNnfEUU7w1FZ6rNZujnCs99NbIKJZPD9hXYmiijxH6wr%0ACQm97GZMyQ%3D%3D

Incidentally ... do all 3 of your lines need to be on an enhanced care? Is it really the full "triple-speed" access that needs the improved repair?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 07:24:49 PM »

@BlackSheep - pretty impressive. I hate to think what the four hour service would cost? Maybe only available to business users? In any case Andrews and Arnold don't have 24-hour customer service on an official basis, so you probably couldn't get your fault report in within four hours never mind BT.

Coming back to the service I've signed up for, presumably a resold BT service, see

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 07:29:19 PM »

@WWombat -  about your ‘wow’, is that wow cheap or wow expensive?  ;D

Good point. I don't need the Enhanced Care thing on all three of the lines, I originally had it on just one line, then I had problems with the wrong line (Sod's law) and turned it on on that second line as well. Meant to cancel it after a month or so but haven't got round to doing it yet, in any case there is a cancellation fee. So I have it on two lines at the moment.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 07:33:26 PM »

@BlackSheep - pretty impressive. I hate to think what the four hour service would cost? Maybe only available to business users? In any case Andrews and Arnold don't have 24-hour customer service on an official basis, so you probably couldn't get your fault report in within four hours never mind BT.

Coming back to the service I've signed up for, presumably a resold BT service, see

It's the same timescales as for a 'Damage report', Weaver .................... maybe report your line damaged and unsafe, to get someone out within 4hrs  ;) ;D ;D

#pleasepeopledon't

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2016, 07:50:31 PM »

I didn't know that. So I'm on a possibly 20 hour deal starting from whenever and no guarantees really.  I’m interested because it's total chaos here if there is a very bad outage like storm or lightning damage and I don't want to be waiting days. I rely on the Internet so much: I use it to summon help often and it's my sole source of entertainment. I need to keep occupied, some distraction.

The 3G and even 2G networks will go out if there is a big problem so can't always rely on them as back up. Certainly the mobile networks go down when there is a lightning storm or a power cut, both EE and Three. Wish the Scottish Government would force the operators to put in a fat UPS and failover generators at these public safety-critical sites.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2016, 12:29:43 AM »

@WWombat -  about your ‘wow’, is that wow cheap or wow expensive?  ;D

Wow - in the expensive way.

More from the comparison to that price list from Openreach. I don't know which two care levels are used by A&A, but the annual cost varies between £6.32 and £54.32 ... and the highest price (service level 4) is the 6-hour response. I'd guess the upgrade is from 2 to 3.

There's some mark-up being added by BTW and/or AAISP.

For comparison, Pulse8 seem to charge a £6pm fee for their "enhanced line care" service, which is explicitly defined as service level 3 (£43+vat pa in the Openreach price list). In fact, Pulse8 seem to offer line rental in three service levels altogether: two packages at £13.00pm (with service level 1) and £13.80pm (with service level 2), and the £6pm SL3 as a bolt-on.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2016, 01:11:37 AM »

NB I have a dim / vague memory of another ISP using the term ‘Enhanced Care’, might have been Demon, as I was with Demon for many years, then Zen also on another line, and most recently AA about six years ago.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2016, 01:28:21 AM »

This document
     https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/serviceproducts/serviceharmonisation/serviceharmonisation/downloads/Maintenance%20Options%20Overview.ppt

mentions the term ‘Enhanced Care’, but for LLU. Perhaps the AA website is using terms inspired by quite old BT terminology. The website doesn't get updated often enough, stuff can sit around for years referring to matters that are evidently outdated. Need a web geek and an editor to keep gnawing away at it for them.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2016, 02:13:38 AM »

I notice that that document is really old, October 2010, so perhaps it's no longer relevant. But it keeps talking about "LLU Enhanced Care" as an older service which has been replaced by something with a different name.

I noticed also mentions of
  “Enhanced care (Chronically sick and disabled)”
  “Chronically sick & disabled, blue light and priority care faults should be mapped to SH Level 4”

Sounds helpful, wonder how that works, but I thought this was a BT Retail thing for POTS not Internet access service.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 02:18:47 AM by Weaver »

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2016, 08:43:47 AM »

I think there might be a bit of confusion going on in this thread (or I am the one getting confused!) due to so many products having so many SLAs with similar sounding names!

There are various SLA's offered by Ovenreach which cover PTSN line faults -as laid out here - the highest SLA (Level 4) targets a 6 hour resolution time.

Then, there is a separate ‘Enhanced Care’ product which covers broadband issues. It is what A&A, Zen, Plusnet etc all  also resell. It aims for someone to initially respond in 3 hours and to solve a broadband issue within 20 hours (but this is not guaranteed). For some reason, I have a vague memory that its actually a BT Wholesale offering not a Openreach one..

Edit: If keeping in touch is important, the best combination is probably a PSTN voice service with an Openreach Level 4 SLA - but obviously its not something A&A offer. I know A&A don't supply voice lines but don't know why they don't seem to offer the enhanced PSTN SLAs to their customers.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 08:59:44 AM by gt94sss2 »
Pages: [1] 2 3