Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Image Editing SW / Win 10  (Read 5861 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Image Editing SW / Win 10
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2016, 06:57:09 PM »

Just a thought, why not have a separate box running W7/XP to do the editing/designing using the old software and then just transfer it to the W10 machine to paste the finished article. Bit of a faff, but might be preferable to other options.

Ahah...  you've sussed what may be my long term plan.   Note in another thread I mentioned building a new system. Im not sure how it will pan out yet as right now as I will struggle for space on the desk - especially when a certain cat insists on sleeping next to me whilst I work on anything.  His cushion is all scrunched up whilst I have the case open but I had to put the cushion back there or he sleeps on the keyboard.  Normally there's 2 cats on that cushion.   Graphics I could probably cope with one monitor.    When coding I cant...  so I may set up an old system in another room which has W7 on and graphics progs.   

Due to illness and lots of other stuff going on I missed the W7 update anyhow.  I was more concerned with data recovery and restoring site stuff.  Not at a stage yet where I can plan what equipment I need and what I can salvage from old hardware...  and I'd either have to lay cat 5 or get a wifi card.   Need to get 'this system' running on W10 properly first...  Im very slow right now though and not firing on all cylinders - it even takes me a loooooong time to make a post :/ 

This is how Im currently trying to work right atm - had to put the side of the case back in place or he sticks his head in the HDD caddy. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2016, 07:17:43 PM »

oh ... complex situation

Complementary thought to the separate box idea (I type too slow  - was beaten to it  - lol )....

Are you running 10 Pro, and if so, do you have a legit copy (i.e. not been upgraded to 10) of Win XP/7/8 ? (i.e. whatever Win release your version of PSP used to happily run on)

If so (a huge if i know), Pro's Hyper-V virtualisation is good and you could run a XP/7/8 virtual machine just for the purpose of image editing.
A pain I know, but the workflow would remain the same and all the old psd's would be usable - might save many hours .... and might waste many as well :)

[ before I get jumped on by the linux club,  VirtualBox et al is good as well :) ]

Yep I own a legit un-upgraded Win7 Pro as well as this copy of Win 10 Pro.    I have a SSD disk which is my old system untouched, but still have the DVD too. When my old SSD drive died I was sent a new one which is still blank so had a spare. 

Hmmm  you just gave me another thought ...  my case has some sort of dual boot system switching.   Need to look further at what it can do.
Scrap that easy option - only works with traditional 3.5" drives.   I guess that doesn't include SSD :/ 
Need to sit down at some point in the future and consider the best way forward.
Dual boot or virtual box could be an option.   I have spare 120GB SSD not any HDD's.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2016, 08:23:33 PM »

Sorry ... I replied to another Thread ... :-[ but Paint.net does have a plugin, which supports .psd files.
Also +1 for Gimp.. but steep learning curve.
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2016, 08:36:57 PM »

BTW be careful about dual booting Windows 7 and 10 .. i've got this on my machine .... and both keep trying to restructure the file system!! I have no idea why yet!
Symptoms of problem are boot to Win 10 everything fine and dandy, go back to 7 my 15secs boot goes on and on and on.... about a minute later screen comes up!
Boot back to Win 10 all's ok go to win 7 again,  I'll have another long wait please  ???

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2016, 08:44:08 PM »

Sorry ... I replied to another Thread ... :-[

Thank you for mentioning. It's not a problem, I'll just have a quick tidy-up.  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2016, 08:52:22 PM »

Found this site, https://www.raymond.cc/blog/how-to-open-psd-extension-files-without-installing-adobe-photoshop/
gives good over view of current favorites.

Robin

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2016, 04:46:32 PM »

I just saw this link: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/the-best-ways-to-open-a-psd-file-without-photoshop/

I wonder if gimp as plugins to edit psd layers?

Edit: Ok this webpage mentions a plugin for layers.

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-make-the-gimp-work-more-like-photoshop-1551318983
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 04:49:30 PM by Bowdon »
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2
Pages: 1 [2]