Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Gradual speed loss  (Read 1401 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Gradual speed loss
« on: August 01, 2016, 06:26:21 PM »

Since January, I've lost a combined 1.1 - 1.4 Mbps downstream speed (total of my three bonded lines) as measured by the speedof.me speed tester. I'm not at all sure why.

The downstream sync rate on some of the lines has decreased a bit, example, 2800 -> 2500-2600.

Also, the downstream SNRM (based on a 3 dB target SNRM) has worsened a bit, decreasing by ~ 1dB after a few days, whereas an initial 3 dB would droop to ~1.5dB over time, more recently the droop would be all the way down to ~0.4 dB.

For the first time, I'm getting a few errored secs, say 6 s over a period of a few days. (Again, on 3 dB target d/s SNRM.) Things seem to point to an increase in noise, possibly including more crosstalk.

I wonder if this is just seasonal, or whether it's to do with the large amount of Openreach activity that I've noticed in the village. There is a lot of new house building going on. What would that entail, what impact would that typically have on existing OR MPF users?

In the last month, the speed testers have recorded a notable deterioration in upstream combined speed. Whereas before I would typically get  >1.0 ( occasionally ~1.2 ) Mbps combined upstream, now the combined figure is often ~ 0.8 Mbps.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
Re: Gradual speed loss
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 03:20:35 AM »

Has anyone else experienced a gradual droop in performance?

What are the typical causes, do you think? Am I right in my candidates for the cause of such deterioration?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
Re: Gradual speed loss
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 03:29:11 AM »

What with all the pills I'm taking, I'm ashamed to say this thread is a near duplicate of one started a few weeks back. See also :
    http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,18009.msg326600.html#msg326600

anything