Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Seeking v6.1.1.22 firmware for 2wire BT 2700HGV  (Read 3309 times)

MashPin

• Just arrived
Seeking v6.1.1.22 firmware for 2wire BT 2700HGV
« on: July 27, 2016, 07:34:09 AM »

H'lo all

I'm seeking to resurrect a ADSL2+ 2wire 2700 series modem that's stuck on Qwest firmware 6.1.5.48. I had given up on the modem a while back since the Qwest version has a few issues, notably you can't adjust the MTU value and download 2GB+ files. After doing some digging this week, I discovered the recovery firmware from BT, v6.1.1.22 seems to be the only path available to get away from the Qwest firmware, but so far any links I found so far seem to be dead.

Does anyone still have access to this firmware or point me in the direction of where I can find a working link?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Seeking v6.1.1.22 firmware for 2wire BT 2700HGV
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 07:53:10 AM »

Welcome to the forum.

I don't know if any of this is helpful, but every file I've kept related to the 2700 series is in this zip:

http://www.s446074245.websitehome.co.uk/files/2700HGV.zip
  Eric

MashPin

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 02:21:30 PM »

Thanks for the link!

I tried the two files in the zip that should have worked "bt-2700hgv_reinstall_enh.2sp" and  "bt-270x-pppoa_download_enh.2sp" but unfortunately I only got a there a "there was some error" message when I try to do the update. However I am able to re update to the included qwest firmware in that zip.

It's possible that maybe the firmware doesn't like my 2wire variant (Bell 2701HG-G). Not sure what else to try.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 05:46:12 PM »

Hmm . . .

I, too, have a selection of firmware images for the 2Wire 2700HG* devices and have made them available for download here. (Caution: It's a 63 Mbyte ZIP archive file.) [The archive file has now been removed.]

At the back of my mind, I have a vague recollection of the method of obtaining access to the "hidden" debug/recovery mode. It is necessary to apply a jumper to the PCB edge connector at J2 (see the attached image, below), linking the above and below PCB tracks together. Once the device has been powered up, one needs to use a web-browser to visit the 10.0.0.1 IPv4 address. Your first visit will return an error, so just reload the page. At that second visit, all should be revealed. (Some fun by the 2Wire "sneaky tricks" department!)

Although the above was revealed to me, by an impeccable source in early 2013, I have yet to try it for myself.

Searching in my "what not of doings" I have also come across an old posting, to a different forum, that may be relevant.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 06:53:07 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

MashPin

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 01:51:18 AM »

Thanks for the extra firmware files burakkucat, unfortunately like before only the Qwest firmware loads, the others give errors.

I may have to try that PCB trick, I have nothing to lose and it really annoys me that I had a working modem now hobbled by the Qwest firmware. I won't be able to take apart the modem anytime soon, but when I do I'll post results.

MashPin

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 02:10:18 AM »

Well I popped open the modem last nite. turns out there's a JTAG header in my version of the modem referenced here.

I jumpered pins 1 & 2 as mentioned in that thread. The Power, DSL and Internet lights on the modem lit up red after it finished booting. I was able to reach the 10.0.0.1 address, which was just a ever so slightly different version of the regular Qwest interface. There weren't many new options that i noticed, only thing I noticed that was different was the the firmware was labelled as "basic" after the version number. I tried uploading other firmware using the via the Qwest upgrade screen. It still refused to update. All attempts to access the other service pages that people mention results in a 404 error.

There's probably something else I would need to do access higher level options, but I have no idea what.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 03:21:22 PM »

The 2Wire 2700HGV and the 2Wire 2701HGV-C, which are the "native" devices for the UK, are both structurally and software-wise different.

In my previous post I was referring to the debug/recovery mode for the 2700HGV.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

cancunia

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2021, 09:04:38 AM »

Hmm . . .

I, too, have a selection of firmware images for the 2Wire 2700HG* devices and have made them available for download here. (Caution: It's a 63 Mbyte ZIP archive file.) [The archive file has now been removed.]

At the back of my mind, I have a vague recollection of the method of obtaining access to the "hidden" debug/recovery mode. It is necessary to apply a jumper to the PCB edge connector at J2 (see the attached image, below), linking the above and below PCB tracks together. Once the device has been powered up, one needs to use a web-browser to visit the 10.0.0.1 IPv4 address. Your first visit will return an error, so just reload the page. At that second visit, all should be revealed. (Some fun by the 2Wire "sneaky tricks" department!)

Although the above was revealed to me, by an impeccable source in early 2013, I have yet to try it for myself.

Searching in my "what not of doings" I have also come across an old posting, to a different forum, that may be relevant.

An old thread for sure, but still a good router & almost certainly the best I've had on my Long Line ADSL.

I wondered, did anyone work out how to get Command Line access via SSH? I've seen posts by 'Smiggy' on The Scream & Whirpool about it but have not been able to work out how to activate SSH, even with the 'Debug' mode above. I now have 3 of these boxes, one with the QWEST firmware flashed. The QWEST is a bit quirky to use and not so many diagnostic features as BT but has a quicker GUI & apparently the WiFi power can be set a bit higher than the BT firmware. Can't say that I've seen any difference on the ADSL line.

anything