Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Still worth using a separate modem?  (Read 2521 times)

Sebby

Still worth using a separate modem?
« on: July 26, 2016, 10:47:05 PM »

I've been using an Openreach ECI modem (ECI cab) with the Sky hub since I had fibre activated a year or so ago, even though the Sky hub has a fibre modem built in.

Today we've had no internet even though the modem is sync'd. I tried bypassing the OR modem and plugging the Sky hub into the phone line to rule out the modem as the issue.

It turns out it's actually an exchange fault, but now I have the Sky hub connected without the ECI modem, it got me thinking: is it still worth bothering with the ECI modem? Sync would appear to be the same on both, but not sure if there are any other considerations.

Thank you in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

Dray

• Kitizen
Re: Still worth using a separate modem?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 10:57:45 PM »

I use a Huawei HG612 modem with my Sky SR102 so I can monitor the line using DSLstats and MDWS.

Sebby

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 10:59:43 PM »

Thanks, Dray. I don't have that luxury with the ECI in its standard form, so no fussed for it.

Using Tapatalk

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 02:57:44 AM »

One advantage of the "two box" scenario is that the router can be disconnected, rebooted, etc, without interfering with the modem - DSLAM synchronisation status.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Sebby

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 03:12:34 AM »

Thank you. Performance wise, is there any reason to do it? Both sync at 40Mb down.

I'm not looking for a reason to get rid of the ECI necessarily, but happy to get rid of it if it's not really required anymore.

Using Tapatalk

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 04:05:49 PM »

Hi

It isn't required if everything is stable with a single box.  Keep hold of the modem for troubleshooting, but there is no reason two stick with 2 boxes unless your setup needs it.

Regards

Phil

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 04:09:16 PM »

If you want extensive router features, then two boxes would give you the best flexibility. Also a separate router might offer the best WiFi performance.
  Eric

Sebby

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 12:14:49 AM »

Thanks to all for the replies. Funnily enough (actually, I didn't find it so funny) I got home to find my wife had unplugged the Sky hub to plug something else in. It was slightly ironic as had the ECI been connected still, the WAN wouldn't have dropped. So I thought it might be a good opportunity to get the ECI reconnected. The ECI was connected (DSL light steady) but the Sky hub just wouldn't connect in WANoE mode. I reset it several times, but it was a no go, despite being setup and working this way previously for some time. I half wondered if the exchange fault with Sky's equipment had emerged again, but no; the Sky hub connected directly to the phone line (i.e. in modem/router mode) worked just fine.

What gives I wonder?
Using Tapatalk

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2016, 01:23:10 AM »

Hmm . . . That is odd. I can't think of anything which would give rise to the refusal to establish the higher-layer connection with the Sky equipment.

However as I have never used a Sky service, there might be something of which I am unaware.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Sebby

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2016, 12:12:17 AM »

Thank you, burakkucat. Me neither, especially since it was working fine just a week ago. I guess I'll just try again in a few weeks, or perhaps just stick to the Sky hub only. It seems fine!
Using Tapatalk

anything