Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Load Balancing Two xDSL LInes  (Read 5741 times)

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
Load Balancing Two xDSL LInes
« on: July 22, 2016, 06:44:54 AM »

[Moderator note: This post has been split off the How to utilise 2 vdsl lines? thread into a thread of its own, so that it gets the attention it deserves.]

Thread necro ....  WOOOOT

I am going for it, teenage data consumption means that our single ADSL line is inadequate and causing me much grief.  I have booked in via Plusnet to install a second phone line and am gambling on them being able to get VDSL working on my new line at least as well as my current (quite bad) ADSL on my normal phone line.

This means I will have one VDSL and one ADSL line and I plan to use a load balancing router like this TP-Link chappie to balance it all out.

ZEN ADSL ------  {             }
                         { TP thing} - home network - > teenagers
Plusnet VDSL --- {             }

It's a bit of gamble how well it works and is far too complicated but I lack other options.  I guess if the VDSL is a runaway success I then have the option to upgrade my other line for extra awesome-points.

It's gonna be like watching a car crash in slow motion - I'll keep you posted and you can chuckle as it all goes horribly wrong.

Installation is on 10th August, my funeral on 11th August (probably)

If anyone has any experience to share then they would be much appreciated, particularly on the load balancing router side of things, sarcastic comments also welcome....

Wub u

Chunks
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 02:14:07 PM by burakkucat »

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
Re: Load Balancing Two xDSL LInes
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 04:09:09 PM »

Update : Hardware is in place

Here is what it looks like in principle :

ZEN ADSL -------{Zyxel VMG8324} -
                                  -{TP-Link TL-ER5120} - home network - > <angry> teenagers
Plusnet VDSL --- {Zyxel VMG8924}-

Currently just using the ADSL 2+ link from Zen and the router is excellent I am really happy with it, even managing the single WAN it's excellent.

Unfortunately, I am having problems with delays getting PlusNet to enable my VDSL, poor service by them.  Once this is resolved I am pretty confident its going to be a big improvement and I will post how well this works once I have had it up and running for a while and have some data.

o7

Chunks

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 04:14:44 PM »

Hi.
Looks good. Won't you need a wireless ap after the 5120 or your wireless users will be in front of the lb.

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 04:21:02 PM »

Hi.
Looks good. Won't you need a wireless ap after the 5120 or your wireless users will be in front of the lb.
Hehe, nice job skyeci, I forgot this is Kitz and you geeks always spot the details.  I missed out my WAP's, I actually (and rather unnecessarily) have 3 WAP's in my network - an Asus RT-AC68U, a re-purposed TP-Link W8980 and also a Homeplug AV500.

o7

Chunks

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 12:19:20 PM »

I had the exact same issues with delays with Plusnet VDSL, they had me place the order as an ADSL line for some strange reason just make sure when you are upgraded to VDSL that the discount gets applied cause they messed mine up until I had a word with them.

Also welcome to the complicated network club, just don't get to the stage where you have to label all your Ethernet cables like me.

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 06:58:08 PM »

Also welcome to the complicated network club, just don't get to the stage where you have to label all your Ethernet cables like me.

Wow, you have your own home network rack, haha, thats awesome.  Now I want one, I'm off to google how much rack cabinets are .....

Chunks

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 12:28:07 AM »

I was just thinking the same thing. I definitely could do with a tip as to where you got your rack?

(Burakkucat confirmed earlier that we are not talking about the rack of Cardinal Biggles
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spanish_Inquisition_(Monty_Python)
)

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 01:49:21 AM »

I got all my rack gear from x-case my rack mount cases are technically far too long for the rack I have, but I just took the back off so it would all fit.

If you actually want the cases to fit the best way to be sure would be to ask them.

One of the rack PCs is a home media server and the other is a far too expensive gaming PC, which works great in a rack mount case if you do a tiny amount of DIY(I fitted an AIO watercooler in it).

If anyone is wonder why anyone would rack mount everything for me it's the noise also how cool it is  :D

This is a 6u version of the rack I have and I thought the prices were great
https://www.xcase.co.uk/collections/wall-mount-cabinets/products/6u-zh-wallmount-cabinet-500mm-chassis-up-to-400mm

That size is perfect for say 3 pieces of network gear and a single PC, I originally wanted a 9U case but they were out of stock and gave me a 15U one.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 02:14:52 AM by S.Stephenson »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 09:17:53 AM »

Plusnet have long had issues with VDSL activation's, when I joined the line status got stuck and did not get moving until I prodded staff there.  I remember researching at the time and it was happening for years before  I joined and that was a few years ago.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2016, 09:39:51 AM »

Many thanks for the case tip. Will take a look at that.

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2016, 01:02:43 PM »

I chose to wait it out with PlusNet and my line was FINALLY activated yesterday.  As I mentioned I knew I would be  out of the UK so I set up the TL-ER5120 before I departed, switched off the modem and gave my 11 yo son instructions on where the power button was, heh.  Anyway, it works

Incidentally I have had a bunch of trouble setting up the remote access for the router as its not covered very well in the manual - it turns out to open up the access for any IP you have to have an active subnet of 0.0.0.0/32 on the remote management page,

I have all the load sharing options switched on:

So far no complaints from home but still a few things to do :
  • I have no idea what speed my VDSL connection is working at and have no way of finding our until I get home and can log into my bridge modem VMG8924 and see what it says.  As far as I knowther is no way to access this from the WebUI of the router itself
  • I can't conduct any testing of speeds / comparison etc until I get home.
  • I am still looking into CLI of the TP-LInk and whether I can get any data or stats from it.
So far overall looks good though

Chunks

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2016, 11:11:00 AM »

I have a bit of advice, some websites don't take kindly to you switching IP address every 2 seconds I've noticed it mostly on government websites so if you ever had trouble on very secure websites it will probably be that.

I either just use my phone and use my 4G or disable WAN2.

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2016, 12:40:11 PM »

I have a bit of advice, some websites don't take kindly to you switching IP address every 2 seconds I've noticed it mostly on government websites so if you ever had trouble on very secure websites it will probably be that.

I either just use my phone and use my 4G or disable WAN2.

Great, thanks for the tip - if I run into to problems maybe I should just set up a rule in the load balance to direct all HTTPS traffic over one connection.  Hasn't caused any issues yet but its early days

Chunks

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2016, 07:13:40 PM »

I like the fact that the TP-Link router mentions lightning protection in the specs.

How do you have your WAPs set up? (I'm interested in getting better WAPs)

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2016, 06:10:53 AM »

I like the fact that the TP-Link router mentions lightning protection in the specs.

How do you have your WAPs set up? (I'm interested in getting better WAPs)

Er, I must be honest I have given very little thought to my network architecture, which is a mess...  BUT  it works  :fingers:  and its not really something I am very knowledgable about but here's my approach.

The issue for me is that my office is where all the routers, modems phone lines are and it is on one side of the house.  We have a medium sized 4 bedroom house but I have yet to find a WAP that can cover all rooms with sufficient speed and I have tried quite a few.  Nowadays everyone in our house wants to stream HD video over wireless and once you get more than a room away you start to get stuttering, in my experience.  Here is a pic when I recently testing a Zyxel 8924 for comparison :

We now have 3 WAP's and 3 networks called Office, Downstairs and Upstairs - I tried having them all on the same SSID and found that mobile devices are really bad at switching between networks i.e. you can be standing next to one WAP but if the device originally connected to another then it will try and hang onto the poor signal perform slowly. Nowadays we have 3 discreet networks with different frequencies and names, pffft  :P

• My main WAP "Downstairs" is my Asus AC68U and is located in the lounge, some years ago I ran some Cat 5e round the outside of the house to provide a reliable connection for our HTPC so it uses that.
  • In the Office is "Office" my re-purposed TP-Link TD-W8980 acts as a WAP - the firmware is not very helpful for this but it performs pretty well - I have been meaning to flash OpenWRT on it once they resolve the issue with the 5 Ghz not working
  • The above two WAP's do not provide a strong enough signal in the master bedroom to stream HD video to our bedroom TV so I installed a TP-Link AV-500 Homeplug WAP "Upstairs" - its a nasty bodge but pretty discreet and work great!  I actually have 2 more AV-500's which are normally unplugged and I move around the house when I want to work on a PC or something and want a wired connection, really handy.
I read other peoples posts with interest on this subject (wireless coverage) I think people spend a lot of time trying cover their house with one router - the multiple network approach works best for us at the moment.

Another aside : I have only one 11ac WAP, the AC68U everything else is 11n - I am getting a bit fed up with manufacturers claims of high speeds which require you to buy expensive proprietary adapters and fancy thingies etc etc .....  just add another WAP, lol

I told you it was messy  ;D

Chunks
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 06:13:50 AM by Chunkers »
Pages: [1] 2