Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT Line fault.  (Read 2818 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
BT Line fault.
« on: July 21, 2016, 10:32:02 AM »

Woke up this morning and noticed that incoming calls either weren't ringing my phone or if they did, when I answered it the call went immediately dead.

When I dialed my house number from my mobile it picked up the call (even though it never rang at my home) and a load of interference muffled sounds happened.

I did the online line check and it showed nothing. I then rang 17070 and selected a call back. The phone rang. I picked it up and it immediately cut off. I'm not sure if this is supposed to happen with the call back or its supposed to say a message(?).

I was going to say that BT sent me an email last week saying I'd been upgraded and one part was about fixing repairs after 24 hours. I was going to make a point about the closest appointment I could find was for monday, 5 days (including today) after I've reported the fault. I then read the language they used in the email and it says "24 hours sooner." Sooner than what?

Maybe the long appointment time is because of the current broadband outage, which is the 2nd power failure in 2 days. I can't help but wonder what is going on with the network!? I can't remember having so many phone issues.

Anyways rant mode off.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

WWWombat

• Kitizen
Re: BT Line fault.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 11:46:30 AM »

The key thing for you is that the number of days, whatever it is, is just a target. On top of this target for each individual fault, there's a company-wide target for how often they actually achieve it ... which, of course, is one of Ofcom's targets that is meant to get higher year on year.

Take a look here:
http://www.offta.org.uk/charts.htm

Your line will be a statistic within the "Wholesale Line Rental Repair KPI" graph.

I guess you've learnt the difference between a service level agreement SLA and a service level guarantee SLG - where the guarantee is no such thing, but does at least add compensation when the SLA isn't met.

And ... I think BT's residential services have a care level that only counts working days (ie not weekends). Some of the highest commercial care levels have shorter times that don't distinguish.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 12:56:09 PM »

Its frustrating. But I see what you mean.

I don't know if any other disabled person as managed to get on the priority list for BT repairs. The last time I checked it BT were asking for a document that as gone out of existance for long time. So its very difficult to prove a person is disabled by their criteria.

A lot of BT's downside issues I think are well within their own grasp to update and change them. If they become better at what they are good at then I think it would be better for us all.

I think I've had about 5 or 6 phone line (broadband was affected on a couple of those) since moving to fttc. Including one were a fault was fixed and then the line was disconnected at the exchange for some unknown reason.

As I've said before it would be a lot better if the engineers were allowed to leave notes for each other, and also return to an unfinished job instead of it being handed to another engineer who has to start from square 1.

Ok ok, rant over :)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 10:03:52 AM »

The engineer arrived this morning.

It appears to have been a faulty filter. He replaced it and now everythings wrking again.

I noticed that they sent me emails to my main account giving me updates on appointments. It also said the name of the engineer and a mobile phone number of his. Which I think is a good thing.

By the way on HG612 stats what does Retrain reason: 200000 mean?

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 06:19:57 PM »

Isn't a faulty filter the kind of thing you could have and perhaps should have checked for yourself?

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 11:44:28 PM »

yes! I didnt actually check that as I didnt really know why I had it on.

I think I had some issues with the sky tv box once and someone said use a double filter. But since then I've disconnected sky from the line.

But yea, I'll probably get the bill.

I will say that bt were good at email contacting me, and made the visit more personalised.

Though their fault reporting website is still bugged.

anything