Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: My line has resynced at 80mb at 0.9 SNR?  (Read 19936 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: My line has resynced at 80mb at 0.9 SNR?
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2016, 11:52:39 AM »

I'm just using the original billion PSU and I also seen the same post somewhere that said the PSU is rubbish and causes interference but not sure what kind of testing was done to come to that conclusion.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2016, 04:00:25 PM »

I was thinking as you use the 8800NL just confirm that PhyR is enable on the downstream

Just checking, NS, that you're aware of the subtle difference, as "enabled" isn't a good word there.

A tick in the "PhyR" boxes means that the modem will allow PhyR to be activated in negotiation with the DSLAM. It doesn't tell you anything about whether it has been activated, or whether it will be.

(I'm with @ejs too; the setting that allows activation of G.INP is a separate setting, and PhyR is distinct from G.INP)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2016, 05:01:24 PM »

Just checking, NS, that you're aware of the subtle difference, as "enabled" isn't a good word there.

I did say to make sure PhyR is enabled on the modem with a image showing the downstream as being ticked as not to confuse any members  ;)

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2016, 06:18:17 PM »

To me, the phrase "PhyR is enabled" is too uncomfortably close to being understood by a reader as "PhyR is active and running".

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2016, 07:03:24 PM »

Perhaps a more acceptable word would be "selected" . . .  :-\

As in "make sure PhyR is selected on the modem".

I have to admit that the subtle nuances of the English language can be used to achieve many different effects. I'm thinking of those great verbal streams that would emanate from the mouth of Sir Humphrey Appleby;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2016, 08:42:46 PM »

If someone ever gets a device which can toggle g.inp overriding the dslam, I would expect the implications would be the dslam would fall back to traditional interleaving and possibly blacklist the line/device for future g.inp DLM profiling.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2016, 08:59:21 PM »

Perhaps a more acceptable word would be "selected" . . .  :-\

That sounds good selected or ticked on/off and can't even believe I am having to respond to thread  were a member says " isn't a good word there"  :hmm:

It's not the Kitz site I remember 3 years ago  :(

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2016, 10:05:15 PM »

Aren't those little boxes checkboxes, so the correct terminology logically would be checked or unchecked? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checkbox
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2016, 07:57:03 PM »

That sounds good selected or ticked on/off

"Enabled" isn't a bad word, so long as everyone uses it with the proper meaning. I use it myself in the context of configuring something.

If it is something particularly GUI-oriented, then checked/unchecked works well, and perhaps does well to distinguish the "front-end settings" from the back-end process itself.

and can't even believe I am having to respond to thread  were a member says " isn't a good word there"  :hmm:

It's not the Kitz site I remember 3 years ago  :(

I'll apologise partially, because I thought this was the thread where there was ongoing confusion mixing up the configuration / enabling of G.INP vs PhyR. Between the two threads, though, confusion appears to reign.

However, it is only partial. I don't apologise for attempting to seek clarity. I'd always rather err on the side of clarity. However, because it wasn't the right thread, my clumsy request for clarity itself added to confusion - and I do apologise for that aspect.

So, back to the core matter...

Can I ask why enabling PhyR is thought to be beneficial in the UK? IMO, it shouldn't be. Is there a belief that PhyR must be enabled in the modem for G.INP to activate?

I thought I'd experiment: I have an 8800NL too, and checked the GUI status. It started out with Downstream PhyR ticked and upstream unticked. G.INP was running downstream, and has been ever since it was first activated aeons ago.

So I unticked the downstream PhyR, and hit apply...

The modem resynced, and PPP reestablished. The actual line profile remained as before - with G.INP active downstream, no change to any properties.

The GUI confirms neither PhyR is now ticked. I double-checked with the command line ("ADSL profile --show"), and it thinks PhyReXmt is off/off.

I didnt think that PhyR was the same as G.INP. The PhyR settings in the modem don't seem to affect whether G.INP can activate... Is there anything else I can try?

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2016, 09:04:28 PM »

I didnt think that PhyR was the same as G.INP. The PhyR settings in the modem don't seem to affect whether G.INP can activate... Is there anything else I can try?

The default for the 8800NL is PhyR is enabled or selected as ON on the downstream my line has G.INP if I was to turn off PhyR on the GUI would G.INP be turned off in two days 48 hours ?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 09:09:29 PM by NewtronStar »

gazaai

• Reg Member
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2016, 09:27:48 PM »

Well at least that confirms that the PhyR settings on the Billion does not relate to G.INP then.
Plusnet: 80 / 20
MDWS Username: GaZaai

Modem: Billion 8800NL (Bridge Mode)
Router + AP: NETGEAR R7800 (OpenWRT/LEDE)
APs: 2x Linksys Linksys EA6700

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2016, 09:41:33 PM »

Well at least that confirms that the PhyR settings on the Billion does not relate to G.INP then.

It's looking that way but still would like someone who has G.INP to turn off PhyR on the downstream and leave it for a few days to see if the DLM removes G.INP on there line or has anyone already tried this.

WWWombat is this the direct effect of turning on/off PhyR ?

« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 11:32:53 PM by NewtronStar »

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2016, 01:08:57 AM »

The default for the 8800NL is PhyR is enabled or selected as ON on the downstream my line has G.INP if I was to turn off PhyR on the GUI would G.INP be turned off in two days 48 hours ?

I did the change in the middle of last night, and I'll leave it alone so we can see...

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2016, 01:11:33 AM »

WWWombat is this the direct effect of turning on/off PhyR ?

No - that's something going on with the machine running modem-stats. The router is working fine.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2016, 07:25:38 PM »

Thanks for testing with PhyR off on the 8800NL to see if anything happens
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5