Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Poor Satsuki  (Read 8898 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Poor Satsuki
« on: July 16, 2016, 07:14:39 PM »

Satsuki is my daughter's cat who was mauled by a [supposed] staffy cross on Tues evening. (Looks more like a pit-bull but hey thats besides the point). 
There was a heck of a lot of blood every where and open wounds that wouldn't stop bleeding so he was rushed to an emergency vet.

This is him at 1am on Wed after he had been cleaned up and given buprenorphine. 

Unfortunately though the damage to his back leg was so severe and the bones too badly crushed that the only viable option was amputation and this was scheduled for Wednesday day at another vets.

I'm pleased to report that Satsuki is now home and doing remarkably well so far.  He's off morphine and on Tramadol and Metacam for pain relief and has already been able to navigate the stairs by himself.

The dog is not fully trained and had been let out unsupervised in a public place used by residents and where young children play in the day.   
The incident has been reported to the police.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Poor Satsuki
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 07:31:58 PM »

That's very sad. :(

I understand that cats can manage quite happily with three legs, so hopefully he will still have a good life.
  Eric

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 09:42:32 PM »

:no:

Did he used to lie halfway up the stairs? He looks on the defensive there.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 10:02:07 PM »

So sad.  :(

This makes me very angry.  >:(

Looking into his eyes, in the second photograph, I can see both fear and uncertainty coupled with relief to be in a familiar, safe place.  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 11:05:41 PM »

Anger, sympathy, sadness....   Words fail me to form a coherent response, this is just so very disturbing, on several levels. 

I hope that your daughter is coping as well as Satsuki. :(

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2016, 12:12:28 AM »

:no:

Did he used to lie halfway up the stairs? He looks on the defensive there.

Stairs has always been one of his favourite places to lie.   The odd look may be more something to do with the Tramadol.

He is coping really well with stairs, he seems to be having more problems walking flat.   He's having extreme difficulty (ie cant) get to his 2 other favourite places which are the bed and windowsill, because he obviously cant jump.  He used to spend hours looking out of the window and sunning himself.

I've just been sent a message (see below) as Ive just ordered one of these to be delivered so he can get up on the windowsill by himself.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 12:55:15 AM »

Anger, sympathy, sadness....   Words fail me to form a coherent response, this is just so very disturbing, on several levels.
I hope that your daughter is coping as well as Satsuki. :(

There has been a lot of tears and anger.  It was a heart-breaking decision for her to make, because the other was totally undo-able.  She sought several different opinions and they all agreed that he should cope well.  There was no absolutely no way to save the leg.   Staffies have very powerful jaws and aside from the blood and gore, the worst of the damage was internal. 

Vets said it has to be reported under the dangerous dog act.  There has been a bit of too-ing and fro-ing between GMP/RSPCA/Dog Warden and who should take responsibility for the report.     None of us blame the dog, but that dog should not have been out unaccompanied in a public place.  Fact.  Young children do play there.   The owner just opened the gate and let the dog run free as he was too god-damn lazy to exercise it himself on a leash.  >:( 

The owners should be responsible for the vet fees, but as yet we havent started anything because the main thing was ensuring he got treatment and for that most of it has had to be paid up front.  His 'other' Nana helped with that and put in on her card.    Any legal process could be long and drawn out.  The op needed doing asap as infection had already started to set in 10/12hrs later when they did amputate.     
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 01:03:57 AM »

Looking into his eyes, in the second photograph, I can see both fear and uncertainty coupled with relief to be in a familiar, safe place.  :-\

I shall end on a much happier note with something Ive been given permission to share with you.

Turn your volume up :)

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com[/youtube]

-----

WesBez7

Poor Satsuki
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2016, 02:51:10 AM »

I have the deepest sympathies for your daughter and poor Satsuki. I know how one becomes so attached to our pets. I couldn't express more sadness than other members here have shown.

Just on a general note on the theme of dangerous dogs. I do believe Blaming a dog or a breed of dog is just plain wrong.Please direct anger towards the carelessness of the owner as I see some have.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2016, 05:39:26 AM »

My most heartfelt sympathies. Just an awful episode. Much love to all concerned.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2016, 10:05:36 AM »

Just on a general note on the theme of dangerous dogs. I do believe Blaming a dog or a breed of dog is just plain wrong.Please direct anger towards the carelessness of the owner as I see some have.

Totally agree, her hesitancy about reporting was because she knows its not the dogs fault.   
However this morning when she was coming back from the local shop, yet again that dog is out alone in a public place.
In fact it was sniffing right outside my daughters gate where the attack happened the other day.   Dog warden called and photographic evidence of it still being let out unsupervised.   :no:
-----

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2016, 10:49:56 AM »

Thoughts are with you, kitz. Such a shame that things like this have to happen.

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2016, 11:07:22 AM »

Only just seen this thread. What an awful thing to happen.

I do hope the dog's owner is made to see the error of his ways, and Satsuki recovers well.

Many years ago my cat Katie lost a leg, albeit a front one, in a hit and run incident. We resisted the vet's advice that she be put to sleep. She subsequently removed her own stitches, and went on to lead a normal cat's life to a good age.
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2016, 01:35:03 PM »

I shall end on a much happier note with something Ive been given permission to share with you.

Turn your volume up :)

With the volume set to 100%, I believe I heard a purr.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2016, 02:25:41 PM »

So sorry! :(

Why on earth did we get rid of the licence fee? IMO it should have been raised to level, where it would have generated income, and from later experience graduated as to breed, and owners required to have insurance.
Pages: [1] 2

anything