Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Suggestions for router with or without VDSL?  (Read 6536 times)

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
Re: Suggestions for router with or without VDSL?
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2016, 12:28:05 PM »

one of the problems is the lantiq (eci) modems don't work with the 2 stats programs that are able to upload stats.

I would look for an 8324, I would give the 8800nl a miss only based on my experience and seems to be backed up by others above - too many DS errors for me. My 8324 still gets DS ES everyday but its not as bad as the 8800nl regardless of which firmware I used including a couple of beta ones billion sent me to try.
I am tempted to give my unlocked ECI modem a try again which allows me to get basic stats real time but not being able to upload to mydsl is holding me back from swapping back as I know I will miss it so probably won't happen.

You could look at the VMG8924 if you are looking for an all in one. Its basically the same as the 8324 apart from having 5ghz wifi. If you want to run separates and use a modem plus a router I would go for the 8324 as its cheaper to pick up and you will only be using the modem bridge mode anyway if connecting to your own router..

I bought my 8324's x 2 (one spare in case of failure etc) for around 40-50 each, both were new...

« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 12:36:11 PM by skyeci »

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2016, 03:07:48 PM »

Thanks I will see if I can find any.  I think £40/50 is optimistic at the moment they are around £60 used!!  I also need to assign names to IP addresses so will need to dig out manuals from somewhere.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2016, 03:23:59 PM »

Somewhere on here someone tried another current model in bridge mode and I believe got stats  working. I have tried to find the post  but I cant so you could read it as I think it replaced the 8324. . Will try again as would be worth a read if you cant find any 8324's. Not 100% sure on the model number but if I can find the post it would be a start. I asked him to try it in bridge mode and I think he said it worked. Dont quote me on it. Will try to dig it out

Ok so found it  did not clarify re bridge mode but works with stats. Zyxel specs seem to suggest bridge mode but worth checking this properly..

Quote from: kjaerligkatt on May 29, 2016, 11:05:03 AM
OK, so the VMG3926 arrived a couple of days ago, and is up and running.  It's a really tidy box, which was one consideration (for the WAF  :) )

I've not tried much yet - first priority was to get it installed and connected.

It *is* running successfully with DSLStats using the VMG8324 option, but I've been unable to get it working with HG612_stats.  With the latter, the scripts fail and I'm seeing errors complaining about 2 instances of HG_Stats.exe running.  I think the script is hanging, and never exiting.  I've not investigated further though.

Cheers for letting us know. You ought to let Tony know and it could be added to the modem list on mydslwebstats for modem choice.  Good to see an alternative is available should my 8324 goes pop.. are you using it in bridge mode out of interest?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 04:14:03 PM by skyeci »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2016, 04:42:00 PM »

Thanks I will see if I can find any.  I think £40/50 is optimistic at the moment they are around £60 used!!  I also need to assign names to IP addresses so will need to dig out manuals from somewhere.
if you use the eBay app and add "zyxel vmg8324" as a followed search then you will find them much cheaper. I got a brand new 8924 for £40 a few days ago within hours of adding a followed search. soon as somebody lists 1 you're notified. I've left the followed search on since and a few others have popped up in the same price range.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2016, 07:26:26 PM »

Just seen an 8324 on ebay at the moment in used condition for £50..immaculate condition apparently ...might be worth a look..

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2016, 08:19:34 PM »

I would personally get an 8924, especially if you want to use an all in one modem/router combo. The increased WiFi capabilities make it a much better option. You can also pick them up for similar prices if you're prepared to wait for the right deal to come up. When it comes to selling it on, you should get a better return on the 8924, again if you're willing to wait for the right buyer.

8924's recently sold on EBay
8324's recently sold on EBay
what I picked up last week

if you're intending to use it in bridge mode and use a separate dedicated router, and don't care about the units WiFi or resale price, then it makes no difference which 1 you get. they are 100% identical apart from the addition of a 5gh ac WiFi card on the 8924. The outer unit, ports, modem etc are the same on both, and even come in the same box. so much so that I've seen a couple people get the opposite model to what's listed. they are up to £180 new retail so personally that wasn't an option for me

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2016, 01:18:39 AM »

Quote from: kjaerligkatt on May 29, 2016, 11:05:03 AM
OK, so the VMG3926 arrived a couple of days ago, and is up and running.  It's a really tidy box, which was one consideration (for the WAF  :) )

Is vmg3926 suitable for eci cab done some searching and it may be broadcom based?  Thanks

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2016, 07:49:49 AM »

So is the 8324. It just seems the zyxel seem to work better on my eci line that other manufactures I have extensively tried. It would have to be to work with one or both stats programs.

For me it syncs faster and has less downstream errored seconds.

Are you going to all in one or seperates?

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2016, 11:05:14 AM »

I just want something good value for money.  I am currently using separates hg612 mainly for dslstats.

The router needs to be flexible as currently I run tomato so what I replace it with needs to have a decent feature set.

Annoyingly the 8324 also seems to not be wall mountable.

3926 also seems to not have many shops selling it.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2016, 11:19:06 AM »

It is wall mountable..

Depending on what you are looking for - you could also consider the cheaper (at retail) VMG 1312..

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2016, 11:19:59 PM »

I just want something good value for money.  I am currently using separates hg612 mainly for dslstats.

The router needs to be flexible as currently I run tomato so what I replace it with needs to have a decent feature set.

3926 also seems to not have many shops selling it.
8924 is wall mountable, I would assume the 8324 is also as they are the same casing in the same box. can't see them leaving out the wall mounting attachment that was in my 8924 box, though an 8324 owner could confirm for definite

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2016, 11:58:57 PM »

I wouldn't mount a wireless router against the wall as it will impact the range of the wireless the best place for those are well away from walls and high up.

If it's just being used as a modem then it will be fine on a wall.

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2016, 12:52:15 PM »

8924 is wall mountable, I would assume the 8324 is also as they are the same casing in the same box. can't see them leaving out the wall mounting attachment that was in my 8924 box, though an 8324 owner could confirm for definite
My 8324 came with a little wall bracket in the box, sadly the plentiful supply of UK based cheap 8324's on ebay seems to have dried up.  rarely see one under £50 now.

Chunks

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2016, 01:22:45 PM »

Just seen one starting at £5 - 3 months old it says.. might be worth looking at if some one wants one
Pages: 1 [2]

anything