Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Tor anyone?  (Read 2009 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Tor anyone?
« on: July 14, 2016, 03:49:00 PM »

I've just started experimenting with the Tor browser.

So far its been interesting on how it works. I've not tried anything from the 'dark web'. I'm not sure I want to venture down that path from what I've read about it.

I was just wondering if anyone as any experience with Tor?

I notice each time I connect I get a different ip address. Is it possible to get an ip address from a certain country, like the US?

The reason I ask is because my gf is from the US and is currently there now and sometimes she sends me video links, either from youtube or news sites (most recently CNN), and I when I'm using my regular connection I usually get 'Sorry this video is not for your region' message, which is most annoying. She was showing me the recent dallas shootings funeral and posted me a link to the US version of CNN for the live feed, yet it wouldnt let me watch it. Who knows why!?

So is it possible to restrict the randomness that Tor gives out IP's to certain countries, or is the randomness just part of Tor itself?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Tor anyone?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 04:44:26 PM »

I know very little about Tor, but it's designed to be random and as far as I know it cannot be told what IP addresses to use.

I'd suggest you look at a VPN to get around your issues with geofencing.
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

fluotech

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 08:46:41 AM »

Yeah I'd definitely say a VPN is the easiest way to deal with that. Zenmate is really good and you can use American IPs for free. They used to do UK ones for free too, but sadly no longer!

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 10:37:21 AM »

I used to use zenmate. But after I'd installed it I seemed to have problems updating firefox. I think it put some kind of proxy in somewhere. But I went looking at the settings and nothing was there.

Because it wouldnt update properly I had to go to the mozilla website and keep updating it myself. Eventually when it got to a new version then it started updating again (I'd removed zenmate a while before when trying to diagnose the problems).
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

willieaames

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 01:06:57 PM »

I am no Authority on this but I was reading an article and I read that Snowden said that TOR is complicated to setup and it is SLOW. Users should not have to compromise their user experience in order to gain better security. There are far simpler tools for encryption like a personal dedicated IP VPN to minimize your exposure online and give you a reasonable level of privacy. I don't know if TOR being Slow is the only reason for snowden to opt out of using TOR and preferring a VPN. you guys could highlight it better.

anything