Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Comments Related to TP-LINK UK Recruiting Beta Testers  (Read 3876 times)

ejs

• Kitizen
Comments Related to TP-LINK UK Recruiting Beta Testers
« on: July 09, 2016, 03:30:17 PM »

I'm surprised so many people would want to use a TP-Link router, even a free one.

loonylion

• Reg Member
Re: Comments Related to TP-LINK UK Recruiting Beta Testers
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 05:17:23 PM »

I'm surprised so many people would want to use a TP-Link router, even a free one.

if nobody did they'd never improve.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 06:13:00 PM »

I don't really see that as a problem, other brands of router are available. I'm not even sure if I agree with your logic, if nobody bought them, they'd have to offer something better or lower the price, or give up and stop making them. If people buy them anyway despite their limitations, there's not a lot of incentive for TP-Link to make improvements after you've bought it.

TP-Link seem to say they'll do something in the future, then not bother to do it. They said they would fix "the kcodes security bug" for the 8970v1 firmware, yet apparently they couldn't be bothered to do it despite fixing it in very similar models. A while ago they said they'd add vectoring support to the 9980, I really don't think that's likely to happen.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 06:45:33 PM »

Given the difficulties signing up to their forum I suspect that they are not going to have any UK beta testers any time soon.. - regardless of whether the kit is free or whether you get to keep it or not..

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 08:19:03 PM »

if nobody bought them they'd have to offer something better

And if nobody is willing to test them how are they going to achieve that?

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 08:55:45 PM »

They could test their own products themselves. A shocking idea I know, but they could actually try using their own stuff.

WesBez7

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 01:56:54 AM »

They could test their own products themselves. A shocking idea I know, but they could actually try using their own stuff.

By that logic. Apple shouldn't have Beta OS's. You're not adding to or wanting to make use of this so why waste your time.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 06:27:23 AM »

And there are people who don't seem to want to touch anything other than the final Long Term Stable release of some Linux distribution.

TP-Link still seems to me to be a fairly low-end manufacturer, and I don't think any amount of beta testing is going to change that.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2016, 01:02:37 PM »

TP-Link still seems to me to be a fairly low-end manufacturer, and I don't think any amount of beta testing is going to change that.

You appear to have something against TP-Link or their products - a bad experience perhaps? However, you are adding no value to this thread.

All manufacturers hold external beta tests as they cannot test everything themselves - there are too many combinations of kit etc. out there in the wild. And even then, there are unexpected issues once a product is released - its a sign of commitment from a firm that they continue to support a product once its been released.

It has nothing to do with being a "low-end manufacturer" which is disputable anyway (a vfm manufacturer may be a better description) - just look at a CPE brand and find one that doesn't issue firmware updates - they all do. Sky, BT, Netgear, Asus, Zyxel, Billion, Draytek, Cisco etc..

Instead, TP-Link and others should be encouraged to open up their beta testing to those who have an interest in testing their products as TP-Link appear to be doing here.

If I can draw a parallel, I can understand why Kitz gets so frustrated about posting information she gathers about BT/Openreach Beta tests - and why Openreach decided not to be more open about their thinking (as they were once considering) due to pointless posts (from others but among similar lines disparaging their efforts)

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2016, 01:46:01 PM »

I've already highlighted a couple of occasions where TP-Link have not supported their products after they'd been released, despite TP-Link actually saying that they would! It suggests to me that they say the right things while they're still interested in selling that particular model, but lose interest in supporting it once they've moved on to focus on a newer device.

In fact it's the not bothering to issue firmware updates, in some instances, by TP-Link, that I'm complaining about.

I think it's fair to remind people that the TP-Link product they end up testing might not be the greatest router ever, rather than just letting everyone getting caught up in the excitement of becoming a beta tester. Or is this forum only for people who think TP-Link is wonderful, and differing opinions are not allowed?

WesBez7

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2016, 01:56:48 PM »

If you were debating the actual product your opinions would be warranted. You can debate past products or TP-Link in general. Don't act the victim. No one is stopping you from starting your own thread. In my opinion I don't believe this is the thread for it as you're not Adding anything.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2016, 02:51:42 PM »

I agree, I keep watching this thread for real information but so far some of the recent posts have added pretty much zero information. If you dont like TP-Link or their products then simply vote with your feet and ignore this thread and leave it for those who do choose to get involved. I have not signed up BTW simply because I dont think I'd have the time to commit to it.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2016, 03:04:30 PM »

If selected, you agree to sign and adhere to the non-disclosure agreement and keep all product and testing information confidential

So there won't be any information from the beta testers about what they are testing, it's not allowed.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2016, 04:23:43 PM »

Woah. This thread has got off topic.   I thought some people may like the opportunity to beta test products.

Its a fact that most manufacturers of anything have some sort of beta testers and its a bonus that testers do get to input their findings direct to the manufacturers.

I'm actually quite annoyed at the remark "Or is this forum only for people who think TP-Link is wonderful, and differing opinions are not allowed?".  Its a well known fact that I prefer to use my Zyxel and I don't try to hide the fact that Im disappointed that TP-Link dont allow further stats.  Any review Ive done on their product has been open and honest.
If the wifi is good then I'll say its good and I'll also say that they in the case of certain routers are good VFM.  Ive not sold any of them on and nor have I benefited in any way.    I really am sick and tired of the sniping.  Take it elsewhere. In fact Im splitting this thread off because it is off-topic.  >:(

If selected, you agree to sign and adhere to the non-disclosure agreement and keep all product and testing information confidential

AFAIK thats only during the beta test period, its never stopped me saying what I want afterwards.  Anything that I have ever beta tested over the past 10 years has had a similar clause.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2016, 04:25:44 PM »

ETA.

I think one of the other mods got there just before me and already split it whilst I was making the above post.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: [1] 2

anything