Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Avast "acquire" AVG for 1.3 billion US dollars  (Read 3371 times)

RayW

« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 06:46:49 PM by RayW »

renluop

• Kitizen
Re: Avast "acquire" AVG for 1.3 billion US dollars
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 04:47:06 PM »

Now! Will users get the best of each?
        Will users get the worst of each?

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 05:01:39 PM »

Couldn't think of anything worse in terms of a take over, two very poor pieces of anti virus software that slow down your PC...

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 05:39:56 PM »

The problem is that all Windows users need anti-virus software and because of the way it has to work some impact is inevitable. So you take your chance it which one you use. Personally I use Avira on the one W7 PC I have and it does not seem to be unduly intrusive and anyway it is not used for much beyond running my weather software..

The others all run linux and therefore while not immune to the determined virus writer providing the system security is setup correctly it is highly unlikely to be able to install anything.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 07:03:07 PM »

I use Avast (Free) at home, I don't have any real problem with it, occasionally it will cause me the odd problem, same goes for AVG which we use at work. Basically I'm happy with both.

Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 12:12:03 AM »

never used AVG, avast is not the worst A/V in the world, is this takeover a good thing? no idea.  One less player on the market as AVG will likely be absorbed into avast, but given the base avast product is free I am surprised at the value of the takeover, it does add fuel to the claims the a/v business is a massive money maker.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 11:09:47 AM »

I've had both AVG and currently have Avast.

AVG got so bloated with rubbish that I got sick of it. Also there didnt seem to be a way to get answers to problems.

Avast on the other hand do have a forum you can ask questions to and get answers from.

The only downside with Avast is the default settings they set during installation install some rubbish (but these can be uninstalled after). Also some settings need to be tweaked so it doesnt slow down your browsing. I've also had to make exception rules for HG612 stats program and also my downloader program. Apart from that they have been good.

I just hope Avast doesnt go down the bloated route and make things bad. At the moment you can uninstall unneeded apps they have.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2