Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: could I ask ?  (Read 7022 times)

noddy

• Reg Member
could I ask ?
« on: July 03, 2016, 03:55:51 PM »

Hi could I ask what would be classed as a normal / reasonable routerstats trace I know when something drastic  happens but what should I be looking for ? cheers ( a clip from my line today )

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
Re: could I ask ?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 03:56:46 PM »

Hi noddy,

From that graph, I'd be looking for spikes or swings in a negative trend.

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 04:37:45 PM »

thanks for the reply  :) but could you explain as if your trying to tell a slow child ( Me - but not a child sadly  but slow on these subjects  :( )

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 04:38:53 PM »

Sure, basically if you started to see spikes in that line going downwards then I'd start to get concerned.

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 04:39:25 PM »

I suppose what I mean is there anything I can do to improve it ?

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 04:41:51 PM »

Not sure what you mean, your Noise Margin is just under 6 dB which if stable is perfect.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2016, 04:43:38 PM »

It looks perfectly normal. Small ups and downs are nothing to be concerned about. The only thing you can do to (possibly) improve your connection is to optimise the wiring if you haven't already done this.
  Eric

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2016, 04:47:52 PM »

cheers I realise my question is a bit like how long is a piece of string  :-[ I was just trying to track down what ever it is causing the spikes ( in case it's anything  internal

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2016, 04:50:31 PM »

Thanks for that I'll keep an eye on it probably run new wiring if it gets worse 

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2016, 04:58:22 PM »

if it gets worse 

You've got nothing to be concerned about your connection, currently it looks fine.

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2016, 05:14:34 PM »

:)

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2016, 05:16:20 PM »

If you do get downwards spikes, check to see if the times correspond with anything you're doing or anything happening locally (street lights on/off, whenever you use the microwave etc)

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2016, 05:55:13 PM »

oh well that should be easy 1/2 mile to the next house no street lights BUT we do have electric fence's which I'm sure upset the line but not a lot I can do about those unless I want to be run out of town  ;D

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2016, 06:12:52 PM »

Electric fence itself will typically be a pulse every second or so (ours can be set to 1.5 or 3 seconds).   I would expect you'd be able to hear these as clicks on the phone line if it was picking up enough to affect DSL.  I take it these are your neighbour's fences?  Ours don't affect our line at all as far as I can see, but they are around 50 yards or so away from the run of our phone line.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2016, 06:23:12 PM »

Good info from aesmith .............. as a side note, the distance from the electric fence isn't such a concern. You could be a mile away etc, and still suffer the adverse affects of a poorly maintained electric fence. Grass growing and touching the actual fence can cause the 'Clicking' noise you can hear on the landline, amongst other reasons.

Interference may also occur from poorly designed and maintained electric fences. This type of interference is usually caused by mains operated electric fences which produce high voltage pulses on the fence wires (up to 8kV). The interference is easily identifiable whilst listening on the affected cables. It is heard as sharp clicks occurring approximately once per second, or as periodic lines on fax print outs. Electric fences are also able to affect some types of data service in some way, though broadband has been proven to be fairly immune to directly coupled fence noise, but not very good when the fence radiates noise in the RF region, e.g. when the fences sparks across insulators, vegetation or even joints in the wire. 
Pages: [1] 2 3