Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Login glitch  (Read 3526 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Login glitch
« on: June 30, 2016, 11:48:37 AM »

I've not been able to login to the forum, from my Mac, for the past few days/weeks.  Username/password kept failing validation, no matter how carefully I typed.

Login from iPad was fine.

Tried again today, same problem.  Clearing all history and cookies seemed to fix it.   Sorry, I've no further evidence or diagnostics.   :-\

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Login glitch
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 11:53:55 AM »

Ive just tried logging out and back in again which works fine from here.
Ive also just looked at the forum logs and am seeing a few of these "Password incorrect - sevenlayermuddle" since Jun 13th.

Have you ever changed your password and perhaps one machine is remembering invalid details.   The only thing I can perhaps suggest is resetting your password.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 12:11:02 PM »

Problem is now resolved by deleting history & cookies, but no, I have never changed my password.

I wish I'd taken some notes or screenshots as I think it was behaving oddly in other ways too, like telling me 'too many login attempts, you'll have to wait a while', or words to that effect, at my very first attempt.

Thinking on that... Maybe I should contrive a number of failed logins so as to deliberately trigger that 'too many attempts' situation.  Could it be that the timeout/recovery mechanism was not working, so that once in that state it stays in that state?

I'll try that this afternoon, when I have a moment with the Mac - using the iPad right now.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 12:23:48 PM »

I'll try that this afternoon, when I have a moment with the Mac - using the iPad right now.

I couldn't wait, abandoned plans for a bacon sandwich and tried it.  No joy, everything works as expected.  Please don't be alarmed by a flurry of messages in the log, from two minutes ago, mind. :-[

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 12:35:22 PM »

Judging from the logs, you get 3 attempts within 'x' timeframe before the software issues a warning.
You didnt actually trigger the timeframe warning this morning... just 3 x failed login attempts. 

Glad that the issue has been resolved though.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 01:17:22 PM »

You didnt actually trigger the timeframe warning this morning... just 3 x failed login attempts. 

I really thought I did.  So I tried it again a moment ago, and after 3rd attempt I get

An Error Has Occurred!
You will have to wait about 2 seconds to login again, sorry.

Whatever happened, I'm betting it was specific to OS X and/or the Safari browser.  If it does ever get into the 'broken' state again I shall pay more attention to detail, take some accurate notes,  see if anything can be deduced, maybe give you a chance to ask for any tests before I delete the cookies again. 

For now, I am happy to forget about it as 'one that got away.'

Thanks for the interest, apols for the nuisance. :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 03:26:31 PM »

So I tried it again a moment ago, and after 3rd attempt I get
Sorry, my mistake.   The 'attempts threshold' gets logged separately in a different file and doesn't give me the username which is why I missed it.   It was logged it under your IP address.
-----